Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Soup for friday night other than chicken soup.
1  2  Next

Happy18

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 5:21 pm
Wondering what kind of soup people make for friday night if they dont make chicken soup.

Any ideas would be great!!!

mom4life

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 5:30 pm
I used to make potato soup and people really loved it!

okeydocke

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 5:30 pm
any other soup besides chicken, I usually make soup during week, freeze 1 container, and then ill rotate and take it out a diffrent soup for friday night
some of the soups I make are;
asparagus
bean
veg.
squash/pot.
celery
and what ever else I make

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 5:32 pm
any soup should work. I like smooth pureed soups because they are more elegant and you can leave them on the blechor in slow cooker till shabos lunch very successfully.

I make carrot soup or squash soup.

Happy18

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 6:33 pm
Do you think I can make these for when I have company over.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 6:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
any soup should work. I like smooth pureed soups because they are more elegant and you can leave them on the blechor in slow cooker till shabos lunch very successfully.

I have found the opposite. I make an awesome butternut squash soup and it get so over done/burned if I leave it on for shabbos day. How do you do it?

simchatomid

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 7:18 pm
there is a wonderful meatball soup in kosher by design (original) that my family loves friday night... it's almost a whole meal in and of itself

mominlkwd

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 7:44 pm
We only make chicken soup now since that's all the kids eat, but we used to make plenty of soups for Shabbos.

Pea soup with Knaidles
Mushroom barley soup
butternut squash soup
vegetable soup
meat soup

I found that they all went over well with company. In particular the mushroom barley was always a crowd pleaser since it's filling and not the usual.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 8:07 pm
Mushroom barley meat
Cabbage soup

Butternut squash is the rage but not everyone likes it. I make it a bit during the week for the kids after school.

shnitzel

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 8:24 pm
I make a version of Moroccan harira soup with lentils and ground meat that is absolutely divine.
If you add barley and white beans to your chicken soup it becomes really thick and rich.
In the summer I often serve pureed soups that can be eaten hot on Friday night and are amazing cold on Shabbos day like butternut squash, carrot, vichysoise, or zucchini.

Happy18

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 8:52 pm
Thanks for the great ideas!

OldYoung

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 9:49 pm
shnitzel wrote:
I make a version of Moroccan harira soup with lentils and ground meat that is absolutely divine.
If you add barley and white beans to your chicken soup it becomes really thick and rich.
In the summer I often serve pureed soups that can be eaten hot on Friday night and are amazing cold on Shabbos day like butternut squash, carrot, vichysoise, or zucchini.

can you post the Moroccan soup recipe? It sounds delicious!

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 3:57 am
Mimisinger wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I have found the opposite. I make an awesome butternut squash soup and it get so over done/burned if I leave it on for shabbos day. How do you do it?

really? I find sometimes the top gets brown but underneath it is fine. it does not taste overcooked like chicken soup does when you leave it overnight. My crockpot is broken but the soup came out even better in that.

culinaryk

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:38 am
How about a recipe for vegetable soup with barley and flanken. It is yummy!
http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....n/483

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:48 am
Carrot, orange, lentil (smooth or chunky), veggie, tomato, beef & barley, pea, others I can't think of now...

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 5:43 am
My mom used to make an AWESOME really thick pea soup. It was so yummy and so filling - we also had meat kreplach in it and a splash of Frank's Red Hot or Garlic Tabasco....mmmmmm Tongue Out

We also had a meat mushroom barley soup when we ate out once and THAT was incredible. It wasn't the typical chicken soup and not the typical mushroom barley soup. Yum.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 5:56 am
Vegetable barley, meatball veg barley, kubbeh veg, meaty cabbage, minestrone, tomato with rice, split pea....

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:07 am
Oh thats right! Kubeh there's red kubeh soup (meat filling) and yellow kubeh soup (chicken filling). My MIL makes it every week. it is so yum.

Moreta24

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 1:38 pm
My husband is the Shabbos cook in our house (I work outside the home; he works from home and he's a much better cook than I am anyway) and he makes a super-easy soup for Friday night that my kids love - a pareve creamed corn soup. It's a couple of cans of creamed corn, a carton of plain soy milk, and spices to taste (usually just pepper). Not fancy enough for guests, maybe, but good for the family.

SHMEIJEL

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 2:03 pm
Don't know how to spell it. "Shurbah" is it's name. Smile

Chicken wings - skinned
1/2 C. rice
Water
Salt

Bring to boil and cook for a few hrs.
Needs to stay boiling or it won't come out white and creamy-ish.
Mix every so often!

Heaven!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics