Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What kind of rash does this sound like?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 11:09 pm
My dd, who is 2, broke out with a rash yesterday. In the morning today it seemed to be gone but it wasn't = in the afternoon we saw it was still there and had spread.
It started on her thighs and then went down her legs and also on her arm.
The skin itself is very red and hot to the touch. And then in the red of the skin are white raised bumps.
She did not seem to be itchy...
I gave her a dose of benadryl tonight and plan to have our dr. look at her tomorrow morning.

imato5

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 11:42 pm
could be strep. Even if her throat is not bothering her and there is no fever, I would take her for a throat culture. Refuah shelemah

mamommommy

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 11:45 pm
Was she sick recently? Did she eat something new/strange? Maybe(?) it's fifths disease? There's almost no way to know for sure until you see your doctor.

mommy7

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 7:57 pm
Doesn't sound like strep. Strep with a rash is called Scarlet Fever bec of the red rash that covers the chest, stomach, groin and sometimes upper arms/legs. It actually doesn't feel bumpy to the touch, and looks like a thousand tiny red dots very close together, no white dots. When you press the skin with your finger, the dots disappear for a few seconds.

Sounds like your daughter should see a pediatrician. If he can't figure it out, or says its eczema or dermatitis or soriasis (sp?), go straight to a dermatologist. Pediatricians are good with viral rashes, but dermatologists definitely need to be consulted about all those other ones.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 7:58 pm
Did she eat a lot of junk on Purim? Stuff that you usually keep her away from?
That's what happened here.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:58 pm
OP here
So this morning it was so much better (not all gone but not as severe looking as last night) so I didn't take her to the dr.
I saw it again tonight on her body - it seems to be coming and going.
I actually was wondering if maybe it is because of her Purim costume. She wore tights but it was one of those frilly princess dresses and maybe she is having a reaction to the fabric.
Would that need a cream to be resolved or would it go away on it's own?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
OP here
So this morning it was so much better (not all gone but not as severe looking as last night) so I didn't take her to the dr.
I saw it again tonight on her body - it seems to be coming and going.
I actually was wondering if maybe it is because of her Purim costume. She wore tights but it was one of those frilly princess dresses and maybe she is having a reaction to the fabric.
Would that need a cream to be resolved or would it go away on it's own?
If it's irritation from an outside source (not from within her body, but something that came in contact with her skin), then regular bathing (and keeping away the irritant) each day will take it away.

mamommommy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:29 pm
I think I'd still take her to the doctor. It's probably nothing, but I'd want to be sure. A rash can be symptomatic of so many things, not all of which resolve on their own, so if it's persisting/recurring, I'd take her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics