Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Calling all balabustes- Sheva brochos menu ideas

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 9:53 pm
Hi everyone. I'm making sheva brochos this sunday iy"h for 40 people. I have several questions and I'm hoping the experienced bablabustes here can help me out.

#1 They had no lubavitch shechita meat and the Chosson &Kallah eat only ls, so I bought fresh salmon, (or should I say fresh $$$$$almon shock ) I would like to serve a nice piece of salmon with a teriyaki sauce over angel hair pasta. Does this sound nice enough for sheva brochos? Does anyone have any recipes? If it's not nice enough, can you recommend something else? How far in advance can I prepare it? What kind of vegetables would go nicely with it? I was thinking an Asian stir fry- is that ok?)

#2 I plan to have the table set with pink and black dishes and cutlery and napkins, with a different kind of bread roll on each plate (whole wheat, onion and challa knot) The first course will be several different salads, (chumus, babgnoush, corn salad, fresh garden salad, ratatouille, guacamole- all on the table- family style. Then a soup course, whatever ivegetables are available and not too expensive. Then the salmon and pasta and veggies for the main course. For dessert I plan to serve rainbow sorbet in meringue nests. (pre-bought) Should I put fresh berries on the sorbet or is there something else that I can put on that would make it look fancier- but still not too much work?

The Chosson is like a son to me and I want his Kallah to love it and I really want it to be nice, but I work full time outside the home and I have ka"h a very large family and my husband works out of town. Soooo- I need to keep it to a minimum of work for myself.

I welcome any and all suggestions for improvement and/or encouragement!!

TIA

ROFL

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:18 pm
Sounds delicious salmon is easy to make. I use Mikee honey terakyai sauce with sesame seeds. Just marinate the salmon for an hour and stick in oven to bake.
The salads also sound great as a first course. People can wash on the breads and eat a bit if the chossen and kalla are a bit late.
I don't think u need berries on your desert-also some People are concerned about bugs and fruit.
Good luck.

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:21 pm
Thanks ROFL, and you're right, I didn't even think about the bugs thing! See, two heads are better than one! Any other suggestions anyone? BTW, I can't get the product you mentioned here. Do you know basically what it's made of? Soy sauce, garlic and honey I presume? Do you put the sauce on the pasta as well?

Avrahamamma

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:30 pm
maybe orzo or penne and shaped pasta with the salmon. I find long pastas (spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc.) hard to eat with company. and also hard to serve! the teriyaki sauce is similar to soy vey --- they carry that everywhere. basically its teriyaki, honey, sesame, ginger, garlic --- I also like to add orange juice.

asian stiry fry sounds nice. snow pea pods, bamboo shoots, baby corn and red peppers.

maybe you can put a nice berry sauce on top instead of fresh berries. just a squirt of store bought raspberry sauce or something.

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:36 pm
Thanks Avrahamamamma- love the name btw, I am also an Avrahamamamma!!

Avrahamamma

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:45 pm
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy you should have nachas from him and all your children! and your chatan too!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:47 pm
This is even better than the Mikee's teriyaki sauce

Teriyaki Sauce
1 cup duck sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp pepper

sesame seeds

Sauce is enough for 5-6 large salmon fillets.

(Bake the salmon just sprinkled with salt and pepper; oil spray and garlic optional. Then pour the sauce over the baked salmon, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.)

Do you have the KBD sesame noodle recipe?

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:10 am
No I don't. It sounds perfect! Could you post it please?

TIA

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:45 am
justcallmeima wrote:
No I don't. It sounds perfect! Could you post it please?

TIA

Sesame Noodles
16 oz. spaghetti
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup sugar
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sesame seeds

Prepare the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
In a jar, shake together the soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. Pour over the pasta.
Toss with scallions and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

I suggest you use regular oil, and just a few shakes of toasted sesame oil. We like it much better this way. The sesame oil is delicious, but with this quantity it is overwhelming!

Here's is the easier quantity version, which I use as well. Just as delicious.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....odles

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 6:20 am
I also do the KBD sesame noodles with salmon over it - I mix equal parts soy sauce, honey and ketchup, pour over the salmon, let it sit about 20 minutes, then bake 20 minutes, grill/broil for a few minutes if you want more of a glazed colour. Alternatively, soy sauce, honey and fresh crushed garlic, same method as above.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 6:38 am
How do you know that each guest will like the roll he or she ends up with on the plate, or are they allowed to switch?

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 9:58 am
Excellent question. I figure they will sit next to a roll they like, or they can switch. Any other suggestions.

lollygirl

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 10:43 am
Are you doing salmon, pasta AND vegetables? Maybe you can do mini quiches? Otherwise, sounds lovely. Am I invited? LOL

Henya

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 1:27 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
Excellent question. I figure they will sit next to a roll they like, or they can switch. Any other suggestions.

I made a Sheva Brochos this year. I made whole wheat rolls & regular white flour rolls. I put them out on the table , piled on a plate. Then, each person took what they wanted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days