Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher kitchen confusion

amother

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 8:19 pm
This might sound a little weird, but I will go for it anyway
I have been frum now many years and am married with family now.
I am still very confused about how to keep a kosher kitchen. People have taught me different things that now I have found to be wrong. shock
The there are other things I am afraid to even ask my rav about, simply out of shame from not knowing that much. I.e. I want to make a parve cake, but we have only 1 gas oven, can I do that? How?
Has anyone else felt this way?
How did you 'get over it'?

Motek

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 8:24 pm
that there are different valid halachic opinions can be confusing!

you need to find one rav and one approach and then you won't be confused

check out this thread about ovens:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=689

and there are some good books on kashrus, why not visit a Judaica store or browse on line, or maybe you have a Jewish library in your area ... - if you read through a book on kashrus, you will know what the issues are and will know what to ask

what about your husband - does he have any knowledge in this area?

rydys

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 8:25 pm
don't be embarrassed to ask. that is what the rov is for and he should never make you feel bad for asking. The question you posed about the oven is actually a very serious one and different rabonim hold differently. As women, we are not poskim and are not expected to know the halachos. We have all asked our share of "silly" shailos--but the rabbonim I know do not mind bec. If I don't know the answer, its not a silly question!

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 9:38 pm
I know somebody who became frum in a community with barely a minyan. The local Rav ate only in their house b/c she asked shailos ALL THE TIME!! (every time I'm too emberassed to call, my dh reminds me aobut it!!!)

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Wed, Mar 09 2005, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 9:45 pm
I've felt that way with many things, where you're so overwhelmed by what you feel you don't know that you can't even think what to ask.

The best thing is to go through it with a friend. Tell her to pretend she's doing a "Kosher for Dummies" presentation. You'll realize that you know much more than you think, and it will fill in the pieces you're confused about.

supermom

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 11:41 pm
I am frum from birth and I asked my rav the same exact question not long ago and he said that a lot of people are concerned about it. Ask him. every rav as it is stated before have different halachic answers so ask him and don't be ashamed.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 12:39 am
Quote:
he best thing is to go through it with a friend.

I am not sure it's the best way to go about it, as you will end up with all of your frined's humros & missconceptions, as well as errors.

Just call your Rav.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 10:45 am
OK, a knowledgeable friend Very Happy All of my friends, as well as me, have 2+ years of learning the Halachos of Kashrus under their belts. It's still possible for chumros to pop in, but the general picture is accurate.

The point is, once you've been through a whole kitchen with someone who keeps kosher their whole life, you realize how much you know, and you're no longer paralyzed by that and can now ask questions to a Rov.

The worst thing is when you feel like you don't know ANYTHING and you can't figure out what to ask, you feel like you need to start from the very beginning in case you're making mistakes.

The friend is not the end of the solution; following that, you ask a Rov. But sometimes, to get to that point, you need a "Kosher for Dummies" course.

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 10:49 am
pirchei shoshanim offer a kosher kitchen course. It looks very good!

http://www.kosherkitchen.info/

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 10:55 am
Hisorerus, 8)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen