Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Too scandalous? will it be taken down?

bigsis144

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 11:51 am
now that I've got your attention... Very Happy

But I really mean it. I'm looking to distribute posters for a frum film I worked on, and I would love to post them on walls in public places.

In Brooklyn, there are lots of walls outside Jewish establishments that are plastered in ads for NYBC or the Jewish Star competition, or Lipa concerts, or Chinese auctions, etc.

Problem is, my poster has a picture of the main character on it. Sure, it's been put through one of those "watercolor" filters in Photoshop, but it's still most definitely a picture of a young woman.

The actress is okay with having her face all over the place, but do you think the posters will be considered non-tznius or offensive in Flatbush or Boro Park? I'm scared that I'll spend hours posting these, only to have them taken down by kano'im.

What do you think?
How else can I publicize this film screening? (I've already given out in a few schools, and a friend tried putting them up in women's clothing stores.)

Alef Bais

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 12:15 pm
Any possibility of making a different poster for these neighborhoods?

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 12:19 pm
The young lady is way too curvy for a charedi setting, and the lighting only emphasizes the curves. You are right to worry that your posters will be taken down. Your best bet is probably to have a second set of posters without the young lady--maybe just a pile of suitcases.

Smiling Wife

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 12:22 pm
I agree with Zaq and Aleph Bais, I don't think it will last more than 10 minutes up in most areas :-)
Behatzlacha!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 12:25 pm
She is a woman, she is BH not sick or not sick enough to be a stick, so what.

There are similar pictures in the biography of the rebbetzin Kramer... and it's not written "woman only".

zigi

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 12:46 pm
zaq wrote:
The young lady is way too curvy for a charedi setting, and the lighting only emphasizes the curves. You are right to worry that your posters will be taken down. Your best bet is probably to have a second set of posters without the young lady--maybe just a pile of suitcases.

I am so excited! thanks for having it my neighborhood! frum movies don't have women on the posters. the suitcase idea is a good one

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 1:01 pm
Frum movies are rare enough to make it difficult to find a trend, but...

bigsis144

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 1:31 pm
The last film, A Light for Greytowers, fit the frum mold better --

This way they can sell the DVDs in places where men will see the jacket art.

Compare:

vs.

I just wonder why they didn't do that this year? Maybe they'll change it in time for the next batch of screenings on Chol HaMoed?

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 1:59 pm
I'm very against it, but you probably need to take out the girl to avoid the posters being trashed or ripped off....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics