Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food Stamps and Taxes

amother

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 3:04 pm
I've been on FS for several months now and have noticed this quirk: I live in NJ and find that when I use my EBT card at the grocery store to purchase food that would normally be taxable (carbonated soft drinks or deli, for example), there are no taxes charged. So if you have FS but not enough to cover your monthly food costs, you can get more "bang for your buck" using them to buy taxable food items, if your grocery store works the same as those in my area.

(Just for the record, I use most of my FS allottment for healthier choices, but my children have had a difficult year and really appreciate having soft drinks and deli on shabbos).

busydev

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 8:47 am
there are never taxes charged for foodstamps. That would be stupid- the government pays for themselves. Where I live all food is taxable- some at a higher tax then other but all food is taxable. and when someone uses foodstamps they dont get charged tax- its no quirk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics