Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Bumbo Seat or Prince Lionheart bebepod

amother

Post Sat, Mar 26 2011, 10:27 pm
Anyone have the bumbo seat or prince lionheart bebepod used to help baby sit up? does it work?

thanks

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 12:05 am
I loved the bumbo, though (common sense) don't leave your child alone. My son's physical therapist loved it and said it's a great piece to help with head muscles etc...

YoMom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 1:27 am
I've never heard of the other seat, but I have a Bumbo and I loved it. My baby used it from 3 months on, we used it as a highchair until we got a full sized one. He sat very early on his own, not sure if that was the reason. It was also very portable which is great - I loved it.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 3:10 am
I've heard that bumbo seats (don't know about the other kind, is it the same idea?) aren't good for kids who aren't sitting on their own yet because it puts too much stress on their backs. Maybe it's ok if they're already starting to sit on their own but not balanced enough to pull it off all the time. Personally I think kids need to do their physical development at their own pace.

That said, I do have a bumbo seat (gift) and I do let my (4-month-old, just starting to try to sit but not quite there yet) baby sit in it, but only for very brief periods not more than once or twice a day. It's convenient for a moment here or there if I need to do something in the kitchen, and she does like being upright on her own for a couple of minutes. But I can definitely see why they say it's not a great idea for younger babies.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:49 pm
seeker wrote:
I've heard that bumbo seats (don't know about the other kind, is it the same idea?) aren't good for kids who aren't sitting on their own yet because it puts too much stress on their backs. Maybe it's ok if they're already starting to sit on their own but not balanced enough to pull it off all the time. Personally I think kids need to do their physical development at their own pace.

That said, I do have a bumbo seat (gift) and I do let my (4-month-old, just starting to try to sit but not quite there yet) baby sit in it, but only for very brief periods not more than once or twice a day. It's convenient for a moment here or there if I need to do something in the kitchen, and she does like being upright on her own for a couple of minutes. But I can definitely see why they say it's not a great idea for younger babies.

Younger being how old? The physical therapist that evaluated my son as an infant was enthralled by the bumbo and said he was going to be buy it. He said it gives support for the baby's back, but strengthens the right muscles. He said he'd rather parents use the bumbo over the jumper or excersaucer any time.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 5:49 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
seeker wrote:

Younger being how old? The physical therapist that evaluated my son as an infant was enthralled by the bumbo and said he was going to be buy it. He said it gives support for the baby's back, but strengthens the right muscles. He said he'd rather parents use the bumbo over the jumper or excersaucer any time.

Dunno, I'm not a PT so I'd like to assume that yours knows what he's talking about and would only recommend it when appropriate. It's definitely better than exersaucers that put ALL the pressure under their little bottoms.

My personal, not scientifically based opinion is that if everything else is developing normally, why not let the kid come to all the skills on their own in the natural way. Unless there's some kind of a problem that requires extra support, she'll learn how to sit when her bones and muscles are ready. I give my baby the bumbo seat for a couple of minutes here and there when she needs a change of scenery and I can't hold her (she is almost sitting on her own but not quite there yet) but I wouldn't use it for extended periods or with the intent of teaching her to sit.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 6:29 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
seeker wrote:

my son and daughters pt (they had the same one) said its not at all good for development. she said that the child doesnt learn how to use the muscles because they are being FORCED to use them. they get used, but the child doesnt learn. also, she said that, the same as an exersaucer, a young child (as young as 4-5 montnhs, but older also) should not be left in it for too long. I was thinking of getting the same type of seat for my baby, who had weak trunk support, and she told me it would make it worse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics