Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mother's milk as antibiotic

amother

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 4:51 am
DD had high fever and pain in her eyes. Now it went away after 2 days and she got a runny nose, 3 sores on her tongue, a hoarse/croaky cough and puffiness around her eyes. She's 2 BH. The dr said to give her tylenol for fever and comfort and breastmilk. Todays the 5th day she's not feeling well. Anyone use breastmilk instead of antibiotics? How much would she need? For how long? Can it work alone? Any idea what she has...? I'm home alone ( DH has been away since last mon and is coming back thurs from a biz trip...) Thanks for being there for me!!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 5:02 am
If a traditional doctor would recommend antibiotics at this point, that's what I'd use.

rydys

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 5:15 am
THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVISE AS I HAVE NOT EVALUATED YOUR CHILD

Breastmilk is not a good substitute for antibiotics when they are necessary. However, if your doctor has evaluated your child and determined that what she has is a virus, antibiotics are not indicated. This has nothing to do with how long the child has been sick, it has to do with what is causing the illness. Viruses can last, on average, 7 to 10 days.

Sores on the tongue are often a sign of herpesvirus or coxsackie virus. Watery eyes are also usually due to viral illness. Antibiotics will not help any of these.

On the other hand, when your body is exposed to viruses, or has fought them in the past, you produce antibodies to fight off that virus. These antibodies pass through the breastmilk into the baby and help her fight the illness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics