Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bikur Cholim Meals ?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 6:18 pm
Anyone here personally provide or receive meals through Bikur Cholim? Do you ever feel uncomfortable or embarrassed when and if you are greet one-another?

Do you knock and walk away or do you hand the meals directly to the recipient? For those who receive meals, do you not answer the door, or do you personally accept the meal face to face?

In both situations, which is the proper or most "common" way you go about the giving/receiving process?

TIA!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 8:33 pm
I think the best way is to leave it at the door, just give a knock and walk away

granolamom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 8:46 pm
I understand the desire to preserve someone's dignity and just leave the food but consider this....a friend of mine recently broke her foot and was unable to walk so she was receiving meals from her local bikur cholim. sometimes they'd leave the meals outside her door. great except that she couldnt get down to the floor to lift it up and then get the food to the kitchen while on crutches.

so I say, knock. offer to carry in the food and ask where you can place it down.

I've provided meals through BC and it never occurred to me to just leave it there. the recipients never seemed embarrassed, why should they? I've received meals through our shul after having a baby and its always been greatly appreciated. especially when someone offers to carry it in to the kitchen if I'm holding the baby.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:41 am
I'm shy to go in - the delivering is the hardest part -but sometimes the person really does need a visit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette