Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
WWYD?

When looking for a new apt. what would you choose?
Spacious Apt  
 100%  [ 9 ]
conveniences  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

mommy08

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 7:47 pm
We are moving. We are debating between 2 apts. 1 is really big with lots of closets...but TINY kitchen and the other is smaller with a big kitchen(not new). The smaller has some conveniences(lower floor and easier to get to car) that the bigger one doesn't have. But the bigger has an elevator to the garage

What would you choose? We have 2 kids....

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 7:55 pm
I would make a list of pros and cons. Write it down and then weigh what you have there.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 7:55 pm
When my dh and I got engaged and we were looking for an apt, he wanted a nice bathroom and I wanted a nice kitchen. We ended up with a nice big bedroom and living/dining room. While I LOVE, LOVE having a big spacious kitchen, I don't live there. I cook and eat there and I'm out. I'd rather have someplace I don't feel cramped.

el2cg

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 8:02 pm
I would go with the bigger apartment, with more closet space and smaller kitchen...with two kids you need more living space...

mommy08

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:17 am
Also,

Do you think it's a major inconvenience to live on the 5th floor of an apt building (yes with an elevator) but dealing with the steps on shabbos?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:21 am
With kids, its an inconvenience.

Do you live somewhere with an eruv? If so, I would choose the lower floor.

mommy08

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:24 am
yes, theres an eruv. problem is, its very hard to find the amount of bedrooms I want in our budget so I can't be very picky.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:27 am
so its 2nd floor with no elevator vs 5th floor with elevator?

That's tough because during the week you'll do a lot of shlepping groceries and strollers up and down.

Are you a SAHM?

mommy08

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:29 am
yea. groceries and stuff will probably be delivered but the apartment sizes are very different. 5th floor - much bigger with lots of closets(but small kitchen) vs 2nd floor big kitchen and everything else small

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 10:30 am
I know frum people (eruv or no eruv) who live up to the 6th floor...
There is also a family who bought at the last (10th? 15th?) floor so they could be the last balcony to do a sukka. Only the man (and older sons?) go to shul on shabbes.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:03 am
I live on the 4th floor, but the first is one flight up, so you could say, the fifth. I don't have an eruv, so I don't go out on shabbos. It is a shlep on y't, but doable. On sukkos, I have to take down food, stroller, and baby because we eat in the shul. There's a garage we use next door, so my dh brings the stroller down for me and leaves it there and I leave it there for him to take back up for me.

side note: I don't wear my heels to go up and down. I hold them and put them on downstairs.

suzyq

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:06 am
Personally, I would go for the bigger everything else. Yes, it's nice to have a big kitchen, but it's one room. And I'd want an elevator to use on a regular basis - it's a pain carrying everything up stairs all the time. You can deal with Shabbos if it's only 1 day a week (and probably not even every week).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating