Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Tichel to sleep

cheerio

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:42 pm
every type of tichel ive tried to sleep in usually ends up somewhere on the other side of the bed by morning. Really want something thatll stay on.
suggestions?
(and maybe somewhere specific to get it from?)

Kayza

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 11:30 pm
cheerio wrote:
every type of tichel ive tried to sleep in usually ends up somewhere on the other side of the bed by morning. Really want something thatll stay on.
suggestions?

Unless you shave your head, bobby puns may be your best friend.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 11:33 pm
There are some tight flat turbans that stay on. They are made of thin material, and almost look like bathing caps that have lots of seems/pleats. You can find them at some Chinese stores.

Sherri

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 6:16 am
Crocheted snoods, chenille crocheted snoods

arz

Post Sat, Jan 03 2015, 11:09 pm
I wear my velvet headband with my tichels and that works very well.

Culturedpearls

Post Sat, Jan 03 2015, 11:23 pm
A regular snood works for me

musicmom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:20 pm
shave! It's amazing!! Heart it!

papermageling

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:10 am
I sometimes sleep with a snood pulled over my eyes when there's too much light, and it tends to stay there. A velvet headband might keep a tichel on, or at least mostly on, but it seems like it might be uncomfortable to sleep in.

Emotional

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:52 am
papermageling wrote:
I sometimes sleep with a snood pulled over my eyes when there's too much light, and it tends to stay there.

This is what I do. Usually works, except for when my two-year-old slides the snood up my nose and my forehead, peels my eyelid open, and says "peekaboo Mommy!"

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:27 pm
Emotional, I had to laugh at your post. Your two-year-old sounds adorable!

STMommy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:51 pm
Hi ladies I never heard of sleeping with head covered, can someone please explain? Is it a chassidish practice?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:10 pm
I don't have the custom to sleep with my hair covered but have sometimes just fallen asleep with a tichel or snood and no matter how snugly fitted they come off anyhow. But is that so awful? Doesn't your scalp need to breathe sometimes? Is it really problematic to just slip it back on as soon as you wake? (I apologize if this sounds either stupid or insensitive, but like I said, I don't have this custom).

arz

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:06 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I don't have the custom to sleep with my hair covered but have sometimes just fallen asleep with a tichel or snood and no matter how snugly fitted they come off anyhow. But is that so awful? Doesn't your scalp need to breathe sometimes? Is it really problematic to just slip it back on as soon as you wake? (I apologize if this sounds either stupid or insensitive, but like I said, I don't have this custom).

Not insensitive. For me personally, I learned a quote from the talmud about a woman, named Kimchis, who merited to have all her sons to be kohen gadol because her hair never showed, even in her own house. That is my personal inspiration for wanting to cover my hair in the home, even when according to other opinions I don't have to. It's difficult getting used to the idea, and I don't always do it, but it's an ideal I strive for to bring brachas to my family and (future) children.

Not sure on the integrity of the website as a whole, since I am unfamiliar with it (just found it on a google search), but it explains what I learned http://www.torahlab.org/family.....men/:

Covering Hair inside the Home

Regarding the requirement for a woman to cover her hair inside the home, the Talmud (Yoma 47a) praises Kimchis, who merited to have seven sons who were all High Priests in the Temple. This was in the merit of never uncovering her hair even in her own home. All halachic authorities stress that it is correct and modest for a woman to cover her hair in her own home, but most concede that it is not a binding halachah (see for example Igros Moshe Even HaEzer vol. 1. 58).

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:19 pm
Just after marriage I "uncovered my hair for my husband". He told me to cover it because he doesn't like it on his face. I'm not Chassidish. I only uncover it for maintenance.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 4:57 pm
I thought I was the only one who pulled my snood down over my eyes! Sleep Cool

I cover my head at night because my head and neck get cold, and if I don't cover I'll wake up with my shoulders all cramped from scrunching up trying to stay warm. I sleep so much better with a warm head. It's just an added bonus that if I have to get up in the middle of the night I don't have to go scrambling for my snood.

Happy18

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 6:58 pm
If all of kimchis sons were kohen gadol doesn't that mean they all died? I feel like in missing something from that story

mommyofboygirls

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 7:08 pm
Happy18 wrote:
If all of kimchis sons were kohen gadol doesn't that mean they all died? I feel like in missing something from that story

I learned that when one of them became tamei another would sub in.

mommyofboygirls

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 7:14 pm
My ears get so cold at night...even before I was married I slept in a hat. Like others above, I pull it over my eyes often. Never had luck with snoods staying on, but those lumberjack hats at target never come off at night if I fold them up to fit snuggly or if I pull them over my eyes. The thick knit beanie ones.

silbergirl

Post Sat, Feb 14 2015, 5:34 pm
I dont get the Kimchis story, sorry. In order for a son to become a Kohen Gadol, the hubby has to be a Kohen. All women married to a non-Kohen can cover everything everywhere and their sons will never become Kohanim (and when Moshiach comes, also not Kohen Gadol, of course).... Tongue Out

However I have the same issue - my snoods always fall off... I dont like sleeping with bobby pins, very uncomfy. But then again, hubby loses his kippa also when he is sleeping, no big deal...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels