Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My DD is so congested she can't nurse properly

imab

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:40 pm
Hi,
My DD is around 11 months and she nurses 3-4 times a day. Lately she is super congested and after she nurses she has lots of mucus and coughs a lot, and I hear the mucus in her throat trying to come out. I don't want to stop nursing now, but I also don't want her to suffer, any ideas?

octopus

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:43 pm
is she nursing less because of congestion? If she isn't, just continue nursing- liquid is the best thing for her. If she can't nurse because she is so stuffed, run the shower, let the bathroom get super foggy while you and baby are in it, and nurse in this super sauna that you have created (while shower continues running on hot).

das

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:52 pm
My baby was also congested recently, doc said to use neurosenephrine (mild). (Its OTC)Works like charm.

octopus

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 1:54 pm
octopus wrote:
is she nursing less because of congestion? If she isn't, just continue nursing- liquid is the best thing for her. If she can't nurse because she is so stuffed, run the shower, let the bathroom get super foggy while you and baby are in it, and nurse in this super sauna that you have created (while shower continues running on hot).

just wanted to add that the vapor will unclog (temporarily) the nasal passages so baby can nurse. And hopefully I made it clear that you are not actually in the shower. Just in the bathroom.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:02 pm
Do you have a snot sucking bulb? (sorry don't know the technical term LOL) Use that!

thatgirl

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:08 pm
Besides for hot steam from showers, little noses spray,
I heard you can spritch some of your breast milk in her nose.. it can help her breathe better.

mosma

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 2:59 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Do you have a snot sucking bulb? (sorry don't know the technical term LOL) Use that!

I used (and have been using) this (it's called an aspirator) on my 8 month old with the same problem. it's like magic. I use it on her before I nurse and then she can breathe to nurse.

MeadowsLane

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 4:13 pm
I recently bought the NoseFrida aspirator and its great. Gets so much mucus out and helps my baby breathe when she is congested. It works much better than a regular aspirator. I use drops before using it, to soften her mucus. and have the humidifier on as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrid.....r=8-1

mosma

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 4:26 pm
MeadowsLane wrote:
I recently bought the NoseFrida aspirator and its great. Gets so much mucus out and helps my baby breathe when she is congested. It works much better than a regular aspirator. I use drops before using it, to soften her mucus. and have the humidifier on as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrid.....r=8-1

the snot doesn't go up into your mouth?

MeadowsLane

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 4:36 pm
not at all. there is a filter and then a footlong tube. so nothing touches your mouth even remotely.

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 4:45 pm
express some milk into a cup, fill a syringe up with your milk. Then squirt it way up her nose (she may not like this), but woe, if you really get it in there, it will clear her nose up beautifully (at least temporarily), and the anitbodies in the milk will also help her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics