Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
T and T Gefilte Fish Recipe

EvenI

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 3:45 am
I have to prepare gefilte fish from scratch with little or no sugar. I think I'll be using carp. I prefer a non gebrokts recipe, but that's not so crucial. Every time I try to make gefillte fish, I try to follow a recipe but it just doesn't come out good. Can anyone kindly tell me exactly how to make it? Last Pesach I followed a recipe with matzo meal and eggs in it but it just collapsed as if there were nothing to bind it, and it wasn't tasty. Do you have a tried and tested recipe?

chamco

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:00 am
I make gefilte fish all year long. I like this recipe: I've tried a few. However, it has a lot of sugar Sad so I don't know if it will help you.
1 Kilo ground casif
5 eggs
2/3 cp oil
1.5 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
(1/2 tsp baking powder: if you don't have KFP, you can use some seltzer instead)
dash pepper
1-2 onions.
sometimes I add a carrot
I grind the onions (and carrot) in the food processor
Then put all ingredients in a mixer and beat or knead for a while, at least 10 minutes.I like it soft, and I find beating helps the texture.
I leave the batter in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. I then put in baking paper and twist the edges like a taffy. I freeze some raw and some cooked. If you have patience to make balls instead, they are good, too.

culinaryk

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:03 am
Here is the recipe that I use all year round and it is delicious.

3 Eggs
1 Large Onion
1 Small Carrot
1/2 cup/s Oil
1 tablespoon/s Salt
1 shake Pepper
7 tablespoon/s Sugar
1/4 kilogram/s Kasif In Israel
1/4 kilogram/s Karpiyon In Israel
1/3 cup/s Potato Starch

Preparation
Grate the onion and the carrot. Put that mixture into a mixer and add all the rest, except potato starch, and mix for about 5 minutes (maybe a little more). The mixture should be nice and fluffy. Dont rush the process it needs to be fluffy. Add the potato starch by hand and mix in. Divide the mixture into 2 rolls and freeze. The best way to do this is is to place saran wrap on the counter (2 sheets) and put 1/2 the mixture on it. Close the wrap and put a baking paper around it and close it on the sides like a big candy. Place in freezer. To cook place water and sliced carrot, sliced onion, some sugar and pepper in a pot. Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes. Put in the fish without the wrapping and cook for 1 hour. Let cool.

if you dont like it sweet you could use less sugar.

EvenI

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:15 am
Thank you both very much. I'll try to follow one of your recipes and greatly reduce the sugar (I have diabetic guests).

EvenI

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:39 am
Do you use kasif or half kasif because it's cheaper than carpiyon or because you prefer it? I remember last year that the kasif was cheaper than the karpiyon so I mixed them together.

chamco

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:40 am
I like the taste of kasif. I like when they taste like the american bought gefilte fish (ungers, A&B, etc) rather than the israeli style!

chamco

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:41 am
Carp is also much browner, if that bothers you.

Liba

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:47 am
I bake my gefilta fish. I like the flavor that way much much better. If you want the recipe I can type it up, but I am not sure it would work boiled.

EvenI

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 5:02 am
Liba wrote:
I bake my gefilta fish. I like the flavor that way much much better. If you want the recipe I can type it up, but I am not sure it would work boiled.

I think I'm going to try boiling again. Thanks, but don't go to the trouble of typing it up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics