Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I have no clue what to do
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:17 pm
My 2 yr old dd started nursery in January and since then has pretty much come home with virus after virus all winter long.
This past Sunday she woke up with a cough and fever. By Sunday night her fever was 103. We took her to dr. Sunday morning bc I was informed strep was in her class but it wasnt strep, it was a virus.
I sent her back to dr. Mon morning bc of the high fever but was told the same thing - a virus. Keep her on mortrin/tylenol and keep her hydrated.

It's Wed night now. She has not been interested in eating anything all week. She barely drinks. I offer every drink I can think of and she takes it but then only does sips. Yesterday her fever was 100 and then this morning she had a few playful hours but then was back to being lethargic and cranky. By evening she was at almost 102 fever and then she threw up twice. I was happy because she had just had 3/4 of a choc chip cookie and 2 cups of water and it all came up.

The dr. had said if my 2 yr old still had fever by end of the week to come back - so I guess tomorrow. But if it's a virus what can we do anyway.

And now starting tonight my 1 yr old has 101 fever. Is this going to happen to the younger one too?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:50 pm
ok, first, get your kids on pedialyte or powerade. I find they cheer up almost instantly when they drink that stuff. it'll prevent dehydration, and hopefully encourage more drinking.

second, ask your doc about using certain products. I recommend vic's vaporub or the generic equivalent. it really helps with the coughing, and unstuffs the nose somewhat. make sure the kids sleep with humidifiers in their rooms. a good night's sleep will help them have better days. they'll have more of an appetite then.

refuah shelaimah to them both.

Kayza

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:

It's Wed night now. She has not been interested in eating anything all week. She barely drinks. I offer every drink I can think of and she takes it but then only does sips.

Try Jello. It's almost completely water, and a decent source of hydration, which a sick child might find easier to take down than water or even juice.

In the longer term, see what you can do to boost her immunity.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:50 pm
Thanks.
We have the humidifier going, she was still coughing a ton. Then I heard her throw up. DH and I went in to her, I gave her some water and we put vicks on her chest. She kept coughing and threw up the water she drank. She was so white. She laid down on a pillow and the coughing slowed a bit.
I called the dr.
They said maybe mucous is causing her to vomit and this virus with fever is going around.

How can I boost her immunity? I'd love too. She takes a multi vitamin daily.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:51 pm
Oh and thanks, we did try jello tonight....she wouldnt even open her mouth for it to taste it.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 2:17 am
if you are currently nursing a child, you can give her breastmilk in a cup (freezing it might be soothing for her to eat...sort of like ice cream)....it is excellent to prevent dehydration and has lots of antibodies in it.

drumjj

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 2:31 am
best way to get a kid to have fluids is in a medicine syringe. then ur only giving a bit at a time should be 1oml every 10 mins or so. even if they bring it up its stilll good to give. my daughter had a virus and temperature once for 10 days so it can happen.

Grace

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:03 am
recurrent virus, with fever and throwing up,
just so your exhausting all avenues ask for a urine test.
my sister used to get bad fever (spikey) and throwing up with urine infections.
Hope she gets better soon

ysydmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 5:50 am
Try chamomile tea, with some honey, give her a drop at a time. keep putting water on her lips. Use warm compresses and wash her down. Make sure that she sits up in bed, as apposed to laying down, try a nebulizer.

Let her take a sip every few seconds.

As for yourself take a few deep breaths this is normal, when kids go to school they pick up every bug under the sun and then some! It's hard to go through it. Just try to get a babysitter and go out for some fresh air.

I also reccomend frequent linen washing and opening the windows and letting air circulate in your house to get the germs out.

Refuah Shelamah!

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 5:59 am
If she is constantly getting sick you might want to look into ways of building up her immunity.
look into children's vitamins and nutrition and stuff

EstherYK

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 7:32 am
It's very important to go back to the doctor if she does not get better, because if it is serious they can hospitalize her to make sure she is getting enough fluids.

Smiling Wife

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:46 pm
Refuah Sheleima to your daughter!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:50 pm
how is she now?

e1234

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:55 pm
go to the dr.
I'll tell you what happened to me this weak to learn from

last thursday night ds (age 2 ) had 104 fever and was shaking. dh took him to the er in the middle of the night. They sent him home friday morning and said it was just a virus.
he didn't eat the whole time and was on both advil and tylenol. By sunday I took him back to the dr. and the dr. took one look at him - put him on fluids by IV and sent us to the ER. he had a huge pnemonia and was in the hospital all week. They originally said virus but it was pnemonia.

then monday my baby came down with fever and I thought it was the same - monday dr. said he's fine but after the fever remained high I brough him back on tuesday and the dr. did bloot tests which showed a possible pnemonia and we did x-rays and he had a very small pnemonia that we b'h caught in time and he's already better (on antibiotics)

it's always worth checking again - they say virus when they dont' see anything but that doesn't mean it wasn't missed.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks.
We have the humidifier going, she was still coughing a ton. Then I heard her throw up. DH and I went in to her, I gave her some water and we put vicks on her chest. She kept coughing and threw up the water she drank. She was so white. She laid down on a pillow and the coughing slowed a bit.
I called the dr.
They said maybe mucous is causing her to vomit and this virus with fever is going around.

How can I boost her immunity? I'd love too. She takes a multi vitamin daily.

I found that rubbing Vicks on the bottoms of their feet and then putting on socks to be a lot more effective than rubbing it on the chest. Also, my daughter had been getting sick all last winter, so I started giving her a chewable acidophilus every morning. She's hardly had a cold since december.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 3:29 pm
Thank so much everyone.
Firstly, where can I order chewable acidopholous? She already takes a multi vitamin daily. Perhaps that could be the boost she needs? I def need to help her become more immune to all these virus's.

Anyway, the night was rough. This morning she was still running fever, didn't want to eat but did keep a small amount of pedialyte down. My DH took her to the dr. and he said she has a red ear so we got medicine for it. Hopefully we will see improvement soon. Maybe that was the cause of the fever. My dr did not think she had a stomach bug though she does have diahrea today. He thinks her throwing up was due to coughing.

My 1 year old had 102 at 630 AM this morning. I gave him motrin and he went back to sleep for about 30 min and then he woke up and ate and was playful and then took a 3 hour nap. When he woke up he had 100 degree fever (motrin had worn off) but he ate lunch. So I think it's just day 1....when he stops eating and gets super cranky then I know he also has an ear infection as he has had 2 of them in the past few months and he gets absolutely miserable with them. We asked the dr. and he didn't think he needed to see him yet. So I guess I will wait. He prob has a form of the virus my dd has. Hopefully he won't have it as bad but we'll see. She is still coughing a lot.

My main worry is also that I have a newborn baby who is not yet a month. I do my best to change my clothes and wash my hands thoroughly after holding one of the older ones but its in the house....and the baby is in the same room sometimes as the older ones.
I hope the newborn will have resistance to this virus. I am nursing...I feel helpless and scared but everyone is telling me I can't worry myself crazy.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:36 pm
OP here
Sorry to bump this up but my dd threw up again this afternoon and then her fever went up to almost 102 so I gave motrin and she threw that up as well.
I gave her some time to settle and then she ate half a banana and half cup water and that was it - she wouldn't even look at anything I offered her.
So essentially all she took in today was the water and banana....
She is sleeping now but I am concerned about dehydration. Should I do something or let her sleep and hope she wakes up tomorrow a little better?

yaeli83

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:59 pm
How long has she been on the antibotics for her ear?
I would be worried that her fever hasnt gone away yet and that she is more than likely dehydrated.

try giving her small bits of pedialyte and ice pops/popsicles for hydration.
call the dr as early as you cam and let him know whats going on.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 10:03 pm
Thanks, she only started the antibiotic today at noon and it's a once a day dose.

I tried ices and pedialyte, she would not even look at it. Maybe tomorrow she'd have more of an appetite.

drumjj

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 2:13 am
the way to tell if a child is dehydrated is to push on the skin on the top of the finger, if the colour returns back to normal straight away the child isnt dehydrated. good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics