Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sushi for shabbos lunch?

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:44 am
if I make sushi friday afternno will it still be good for lunch on shabbos? With avocado also?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:58 am
It should be. I would wrap it in plastic (each piece) and I think you'll be fine. Cut the rolls just before serving.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 6:24 am
did you use avocado?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 7:07 am
I love them with avocado. When in Ohio I had some and kept them overnight...and I do think there was avocado in them. Are you afraid they'll brown? Dip in lemon juice first...btw have you found that potatoes and apples and avocados brown less in Israel than in the USA?

Liba

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 7:16 am
I have left well wrapped sushi (even with avocado) in the fridge overnight. It is a great shalosh seudos treat.

Yes, apples and potatoes brown here like the organic apples and potatoes in the US, very slightly. Considering the fact that the US organic apples could be cut the night before for school snacks, like the apples here, and the conventional US apples would be brown and mushy by morning, I think it is a pesticide issue.

I can't figure out what else would make such a startling difference in browning.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 7:28 am
I don't like leftover sushi. I think it tastes soggy. I would assemble right before serving.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 7:59 am
I've never had that experience before Saw.... Maybe your products are too moist? I would try dryer rice and maybe less tamari on the nori...I know the best sushi is from a friend who always leaves it wrapped in the fridge for at least a few hours.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 8:05 am
I don't really want to assemble before lunch. although maybe it would be a fun activity for our guests kids. maybe I'll do a few rolls and leave some to be done tomorrow.

suzyq

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 8:31 am
I've had it for Shabbos lunch and it was delicious. You have very lucky guests Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 8:51 am
I occasionally make avocado sushi on Fridays for Shabbos lunch. I form the sushi rolls on Friday and cut just before serving. The avocados may brown slightly at the ends but not significantly. The vinegar in the rice helps the avocado keep its color. Firm, unbruised avocodos yield best results.

sofaraway

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 1:25 pm
I make sushi for shabbos lunchalmost every shabbos!
I make the rice before shabbos, and assemble shabbos mroning.
As someone said, it would taste soggy if you would do it too long in advance!

lollygirl

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 1:36 pm
To keep fresh, put wet paper towels over top of your sushi. Tastes perfect the next day like that!

sky

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 3:58 pm
I make it Thursday night for shabbos lunch. The avocado doesn't really brown, maybe just a little. I wrap in saran wrap and store in a covered pyrex.
But I'm not a sushi expert so if its soggy I wouldn't really know. We like it.

Mamish Mama

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:02 pm
if you make it and keep in ref overnight doesn't your rice get dry and crumbly? Mine does and I wrap each in plastic wrap. Scratching Head

IloveHashem613

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:06 pm
If there is some way to not refrigerate the rice, it probably would be okay. Refrigerated sushi or sushi rice tastes awful in my opinion, the rice gets hard and I think it loses the appeal. To me, sushi has to be fresh...

simhat_nisuyyin

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 4:49 pm
Mine (with avocado) can last until Sunday supper or even Monday lunch! I wrap it carefully, and slice it right before serving.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 8:59 am
I never had it get hard at all. Rolls and rice are always super soft when I serve it. Maybe its the Pyrex cover? I don't wrap each roll individually. I slice them Thursday night. Place saran wrap between layers of sliced sushi in pyrex dish. Cover and stick in my fridge for shabbos lunch and have never had a problem with it getting hard.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 10:17 am
I also store the rolls in Pyrex. They do not dry out.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 9:03 pm
If you're using raw fish, you can't keep it overnight. Avocado on its own shouldn't be a problem from food safety perspective. You might want to rinse cut avo in lemon juice (or diluted lemon juice) to prevent browning.

Sushi rice should stay room temperature, never regrigerated. Otherwise starch structure changes and the mouth feel becomes hard/crumbly. you can "freshen up" fridge-stored rice on a plata, just make sure to cool it down to room temp. Also you may want to add slightly more vinegar as the rice tastes less vinegarly if left overnight/reheated.

I personally prefer to make sushi on the spot--or on the same day in the morning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen