Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Your favourite and least favourite parts of pesach?

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 3:40 pm
favourite: hearing child say mah nishtana. eating gebrokts on last day. not having to worry about what side dish is for dinner. (potatos, potatos or potatos) cleaning the house for pesach.

Least: trying to explain to new non english speaking cleaner about pesach. And watching her to make sure she doesn't make a mistake. peeling said potatos. peeling any variety of squash. peeling. not having space for the million plastic containers I have for pesach. The counter coverings. messing up your newly cleaned house with boxes of matza, grape juice, wine, papergoods, vegetables etc etc

shalhevet

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 3:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
favourite: hearing child say mah nishtana. eating gebrokts on last day. not having to worry about what side dish is for dinner. (potatos, potatos or potatos) cleaning the house for pesach.

Least: trying to explain to new non english speaking cleaner about pesach. And watching her to make sure she doesn't make a mistake. peeling said potatos. peeling any variety of squash. peeling. not having space for the million plastic containers I have for pesach. The counter coverings. messing up your newly cleaned house with boxes of matza, grape juice, wine, papergoods, vegetables etc etc

Favourite: the seder. the relaxed mood of chol hamoed. having all food on hand since everything was bought before. starting to cook when my kitchen is newly ready and I feel like a little girl playing house, having time to relax/ play/ chat with my children

Least: packing away. not having a last day to eat gebrokts. the counter coverings - ah, raisin, I just hate them. the sink inserts that let my nice shiny sink get all dirty and smelly no matter how many times I lift them up and clean underneath too. cooking when my kitchen is no longer newly ready and I can't get the counter coverings or the sinks clean.

And this is the worst of the worst: when motzai Pesach rolls around the counter is dirty under the cover, the sofa has matza crumbs in it, the house is a mess until the kitchen gets put back, and there are more piles of laundry than I did from Purim to Pesach. All over again.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 3:59 pm
I like that when it's over I don't have to think about it for another 10 months, plus/minus. My least favorite part is when the 10th month rolls around again. LOL

CatLady

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 4:18 pm
My fave part is seeing the Pesach food in the stores. Montreal doesn't get spring weather till mid-April in a good year, and this is, for me, a harbinger of spring and summer. (And that the hockey season is coming to a close....)

My least fave thing is watching TV on the last day of Chol Hamoed, only to see a Pizza Hut ad. There's something about the ball of floury dough being tossed that makes me crave chametz big time! Never mind the fact that Pizza Hut's dough is most probably shipped in pre-fabricated frozen discs from Corporate Central and never even sees the skilled dough-tossing hands of Chef Luigi!

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 4:28 pm
Favorite: Gebrokts on last day...and last day because its over and only a few hours to CEREAL AND MILK!!! oh and the first day because potatoes, eggs, chocolate cake and matzah and choc spread only taste yummy then!

least favorite: seder night, grape juice and more grape juice, peeling, baking and eating and baking and eating and never being full! heartburn, constipation
and I will stop there because its not fair to the favorite part that this is longer LOL

maofboys

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 12:32 am
Favorite- spending time with family. nice pessach weather and taking kids out to play in the afternoon.

least favorite - spending too much time with family (kids fighting with cousins) staying up way too late and eating way to much nosh, not listening to me cause bubbi and grandpa said I could.... rainy pessachs when the family (aunts cousins grandparents...)of around 16 are stuck in a 3 bedroom apt. for days.

I hope this year we get good weather.

daisy

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 2:37 am
favorite: when it actually comes because the prep is over

least favorite: kitchen is so hard to clean when pesachdik and hard to clean up afterward

Liba

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 3:14 am
My favorites:

Time with my family, the relief that we made it, the fresh new towels and table cloths that we only see once a year. The pots that after 15 years of use still shine like new because they only get used a couple weeks a year. The kitchen turned over, foil covered and white formica counters down. The first bite of matzah by the sader. The singing by the sader.

My least favorites:

The sickness and exhaustion the preparation causes. The mess that the cleaning causes. The last minute details. The fact that if we run out, something breaks or we forgot something it is just too bad, we don't buy or borrow on Pesach. It is nerve wracking.

EvenI

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 4:26 am
Favourite: my son singing all the Pesach songs, the clean house, the excited anticipation of the seder, the same little girl playing house thing that Shalhevet described, the feeling of freedom to do Pesach "properly" as opposed to being a child in my not frum parents house where Pesach was partially done.

Least Favourite: the disappointment of some very uninspiring aspects of the seder the way we have to have it for various reasons, trying to work and concentrate on work before Pesach, turning back over to Chometz after Pesach,

EvenI

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 4:36 am
I missed a least: not being able to use wine for the 4 kosos because I would get drunk.

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 4:54 am
Favourite: seeing what the kids come home with from gan.

Least favourite: The shopping. Not finding things with reasonably good hashgachot because of politics and/or differences in minhag (sometimes both). The crowds.

EvenI

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 5:11 am
Oh, and I love my shiny Pesach pots.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 6:07 pm
I don't know about my least favorite, but I love when all the plastic from the counters are removed and everything is nice, clean, and smooth.

lifecoach

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:04 pm
EvenI wrote:
I missed a least: not being able to use wine for the 4 kosos because I would get drunk.

Have you ever tried Concord Kal - it's only 3% alcohol - you could use it for maybe 2 kosos anyway.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:17 pm
Raisin wrote:

Least: trying to explain to new non english speaking cleaner about pesach.

Haha. We had a lady start once a few days before Pesach. She spoke no English and I had a Spanish-speaking friend over translating instructions for me. The woman looked positively horrified by what was going on. Finally at the end she asked my friend, "am I really going to have to do all this every week?" I don't know how she got that idea but boy was she relieved to know it was a once a year thing.

Best parts of Pesach: I love that all my kiddies know all the Pesach songs now and sing with such excitement. I loved our seders, having lots of guests, especially some that we don't get to host or see that often. The anticipation and eating of those shmurah matza balls on the last day - so delish! Oh, and finally having an excuse to sit and polish all of my silver. It's been a long time (maybe since last Pesach?) since everything looked so nice.

Worst part: Probably the electric bill we'll have from everything being left on so many days.

anonymom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:17 pm
My favorite is the crowds in the grocery store on erev yom tov and the feeling that all of us Jews are doing the same thing. I am serious. It makes me feel connected to something bigger. Also, I say my own personal chasal sidur pesach when the last of the dishes pots counter covers etc are safely put away.

I hate when the water goes under the counter covers no matter how much water proof tape I put around the sinks and faucets. This year I spilled the water I had saved from cooking my corned beef under the counter cover. Yuck!

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:40 pm
Favorite- hearing kids tell everything they learnt and seeing all the projects

Least favorite- dealing with cranky overtired kids for 8+ days

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:22 pm
Worst: Cleaning the oven; packing and moving contents of kitchen cabinets only to redo the whole process ten days later; marathon cooking; gaining weight.

Best: Getting together with family and friends; hosting people who might not otherwise attend a seder at all.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:34 pm
Best: Seder night, enjoying how my husband runs the seder, and how my kids join in with what they learned it school, the accomplished feeling that we made it, using my good pots, easier cooking menu, and the family being together.

Worst: The high cost of everything, craving more vegetables especially the ones that you can't peel, the kids getting bored and crazy, and chol homoade morning when we haven't yet decided what we are doing and are trying to get out of the house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics