Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Substituting oil for margarine?

sa613

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 11:38 pm
The non-kitniyot Pesach margarine here is gross (made from palm oil). How do I substitute it with oil mostly for baking needs? Is it 1:1 ratio or less? Do I freeze or refrigerate it?

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 3:49 am
my friend whips oil and water and a little sugar/salt together to substitute for margerine. I forgot the amounts and the- order. if you want, remind me to ask her

sa613

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 5:30 am
tsiggelle wrote:
my friend whips oil and water and a little sugar/salt together to substitute for margerine. I forgot the amounts and the- order. if you want, remind me to ask her

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it.

abound

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 5:35 am
sa613 wrote:
tsiggelle wrote:

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it.

Me too! Me too!

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 6:18 am
me 3

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 6:28 am
I make lots of cakes for Pesach and all the recipes call for oil to start with. The only things that call for margarine that I ever make are chocolate chip cookies.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 7:02 am
Here's a good margarine substitute from KBD.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....arine

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 7:07 am
sa, what do you think it's made from in the US? Anyway, I bake and bake and bake and don't need any margarine. In fact, once I saw I can bake and bake and bake during Pesach 5 years ago, I said to myself: I should do this during the year as well! So, we've been margarine-free for 5 years now. And none the worse for the wear.

abound

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 8:16 am
I do not need it for baking, someone put up a two tone potatoe roll that calls for margarine and I need it for that recipe.

sa613

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 8:53 am
Tamiri wrote:
sa, what do you think it's made from in the US? Anyway, I bake and bake and bake and don't need any margarine. In fact, once I saw I can bake and bake and bake during Pesach 5 years ago, I said to myself: I should do this during the year as well! So, we've been margarine-free for 5 years now. And none the worse for the wear.

I think the Pesachdik margarine in the USA is made from cottonseed oil. I'm happy to use oil instead- I know it's healthier. But I'm worried that if I don't do it in the right proportion the texture may change, especially with cookies. Do you do a 1:1 ratio?

abound

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 9:48 am
does it have to be cottonseed or can it be any oil?

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 2:45 pm
I hope to remember to ask her tommorow

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Apr 15 2011, 4:01 am
I put the oil in the freezer for a while until it hardens, then use it like margarine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics