Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to make red "chrain" from raw horseradish root
1  2  Next

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 5:11 pm
When we were younger, my mom would make "chrain" by grating raw horseradish root and adding a beet, some salt and lemon juice, maybe sugar. Does anyone have an exact recipe? Thanx!

MamaBear

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 5:13 pm
Try this

http://easteuropeanfood.about......a.htm

red sea

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 7:38 pm
We grate 1 horseradish (about a pound) and 2 medium beets, 5 tsp salt & add slowly to get the consistency til 1 C of vinegar. If you dont use klp vinegar I would guess you do that with the lemon juice. We never add sugar because we like it very strong, but I guess you can add to taste. This makes a ton, maybe the equiv of 4 store bought jars.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:03 pm
red sea wrote:
We grate 1 horseradish (about a pound) and 2 medium beets, 5 tsp salt & add slowly to get the consistency til 1 C of vinegar. If you dont use klp vinegar I would guess you do that with the lemon juice. We never add sugar because we like it very strong, but I guess you can add to taste. This makes a ton, maybe the equiv of 4 store bought jars.
We do the same, but add 1/4 cup of sugar to that.
Use up to 1 cup lemon juice, add slowly to see how much you need.
(Just process the peeled raw horseradish and beets in the food processor with the knife blade, before adding seasonings.)

unexpected

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:48 pm
1 horseradish
5 beets, cooked until semi tender
juice of 1 lemon
about 3 tbs grape juice
1/4 cup sugar

Grind horseradish and beets in food processor, remove to metal bowl and mix in other ingredients. It's fine if you see specks of white, the horseradish will turn pink after sitting a bit. Pour immediately into glass jars or metal bowl with tight lid. Refrigerate.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 8:43 am
If anyone here uses raw beets for chrain please tell me -- how does it differ to the cooked version?

tryinghard

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:15 am
how long will this last? can it be frozen?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:22 am
It can be frozen! It took us a few years to learn that. It keeps its bite longer.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:26 am
Yep, definitely can be frozen.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:27 am
This is soo good. I make it on pesach to use up the leftover horseradish.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:27 am
gp2.0 wrote:
This is soo good. I make it on pesach to use up the leftover horseradish.

Which recipe do you use? Do you use raw or cooked beets?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:30 am
myself wrote:
If anyone here uses raw beets for chrain please tell me -- how does it differ to the cooked version?

It's more like store bought chain. Not soft and mushy.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:31 am
ra_mom wrote:
It's more like store bought chain. Not soft and mushy.

Have you ever tried it that way yourself?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:35 am
myself wrote:
Have you ever tried it that way yourself?

Yes, it's a firmer chrain. Obviously stronger than store bought but same consistency. Very good.
And I eat the one made with cooked beets too because my in law's make it that way. But I prefer the raw.
If you're not sure which way to go, grate the components separately and the mix half with raw beets and half with cooked.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 10:46 am
myself wrote:
Which recipe do you use? Do you use raw or cooked beets?

Lol I've been wracking my brain and I don't remember! I think I've tried it both ways, but last year I did it with raw beets. Recipe seems similar to the one above.

myself

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 1:32 pm
Hmm. Doesn't taste like I expected it to. Does the taste settle after a while or is this it?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 2:02 pm
Settle which part? Is it too sharp? Not enough liquid?

myself

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 7:00 am
Just checked this thread out again as I'm hoping to make another batch for Pesach next week. I used raw beets last time and it was great, I couldn't believe it was so easy. Wink
It definitely had too little liquid though. It's difficult to tell how much is required as the consistency seemed perfect when I was actually making it but not so much when it was eaten.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:25 am
myself wrote:
Just checked this thread out again as I'm hoping to make another batch for Pesach next week. I used raw beets last time and it was great, I couldn't believe it was so easy. Wink
It definitely had too little liquid though. It's difficult to tell how much is required as the consistency seemed perfect when I was actually making it but not so much when it was eaten.

OK, so I contacted the maven of chrain making in the family Wink and I'm told to season with sugar to taste, a drop of salt to bring out flavor, just a bit of lemon juice and then some water as well so it's not dry.
At the beginning the top is juicy and if it gets dry later (always seal jar very well before putting back in the refrigerator) add some more water and it may need some more sugar at that point as well.

myself

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:47 am
Water? I didn't notice any water in the recipe, did I miss something?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics