Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholent, eggs and pots
1  2  Next

roza

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 8:22 pm
I am not a big fan of cholent, but one of my guests is. Usually, I make meat or chicken cholent. This Shabbos I decided to try something different, I made pareve cholent with eggs.

On Shabbos afternoon, my guest approached the cholent crockpot, looked through the glass cover and said: " I have few halachic questions about the cholent" shock

1. How come there are 6 eggs in it ? There has to be an odd number of eggs.
2. Don't you have to put hardboiled eggs in cholent and not raw eggs? ( I put everything raw right before Shabbos)
3. Why you don't have a separate pot for boiling eggs only (I have one on Pesach, but during the year...)?

Now, I want to know what is the practice around here: do you have a separate pot for eggs, do you cook only odd number of eggs, and what about eggs in cholent? Question

miriam

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 8:47 pm
roza wrote:
1. How come there are 6 eggs in it ? There has to be an odd number of eggs.

No, you just need 3 or more. In case there is any blood it's butel in all the eggs, but that hardly applies when mixed into a large cholent! So you can just do one in that case. I've never heard of anything about odd numbers. (But you still need to break each hard boiled egg open and look inside before eating it.)
roza wrote:

2. Don't you have to put hardboiled eggs in cholent and not raw eggs? ( I put everything raw right before Shabbos)

The only difference is that if you are going to remove a pot from the fire and return it, the stuff inside must be 1/3 cooked (some say 1/2 cooked) before shabbos. Other then that I don't see any difference.
roza wrote:

3. Why you don't have a separate pot for boiling eggs only (I have one on Pesach, but during the year...)?

You need a seperate pot because eggs have chicken poop, and bird seed on them. The seed is chometzdick, so on pesach you need a sperate pot.

During the year you don't need another pot, but be sure to wash the egg _VERY_ well before putting it in the cholent. Some people are worried that the seed/poop is non kosher, so they use a different pot during the year. (Unless you want to wash the eggs every time.) But I believe it's butel during the year (but butel on pesach is more complicated).

ForeverYoung

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 9:07 pm
Quote:
You need a seperate pot because eggs have chicken poop, and bird seed on them. The seed is chometzdick, so on pesach you need a sperate pot.

never heard of this b4!!! shock
Is this a lubav. minhag?

Need to call my Rav (I hope he's getting ready - Pesah is almost here LOL Wink )

As far as I know, cold chometz does not mechametz any hard serfice it touches - it just needs to be washed. So why would there be a need for a pot - just rinsing the eggs well should be sufficient.

ForeverYoung

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 9:08 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....79c2b

look for discussion about how cooked the food has to be b4 shabbos! Smile

hisorerus

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 9:51 pm
Re the Pesach issue, many people have a Minhag to peel ALL fruits and vegetables, the idea being that something that came in contact with the floor may have come in contact with Chometz. (So we [my family] don't rinse anything with peels in the sink; anything that falls on the floor doesn't get used; and we have separate "peeling" knives. The egg pot is because we can't peel raw eggs in many cases, so this pot is used just for eggs (and, in one case, for blanching tomatoes).

I never heard of having an egg pot during the year, and as said before, the "odd number of eggs" deal is a bubbe maise, it's just not wise to boil only 2, because if one is treif, the pot may become treif.

gryp

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 4:29 am
everyone I know boils eggs by an odd number.

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:21 am
I asked my rav as why you boil an odd number and he told me that just incase there is a blood spot then it is patar.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:45 am
RG wrote:
everyone I know boils eggs by an odd number.

me too, though growing up, we used any pot, but once I got married I use a separate pot just because my mil does. ( I never made hard boiles eggs before I got married- so when I ased her how do do it she sadi you need extra pot so did it)

rydys

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 8:46 am
Quote:
the "odd number of eggs" deal is a bubbe maise

PLEASE be careful what you write off! This is not a bubbe maise. It is brought down in Sefer Hakashrus, Perek 12 that you should not cook even numbers of eggs, and also in Yoreh Deah, 66:4.

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 8:52 am
thanks for writing a source I was going to ask my husband for a source when he gets home and well I guess you beat me to it.

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 10:59 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
Quote:

never heard of this b4!!! shock
Is this a lubav. minhag?

People who are makpid on Pesach not to use unpeeled vegetables are makpid to have a separate pot for eggs too, for the same reasons. We use the same pot for cooking eggs and for cooking beets in their peel.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 11:03 am
Quote:

by the way, if the eggs have homets on them, cooking in a separate pot won't help-
if there is any hometz on the eggs, it will make the water chometztik, which will make eggs hometztik, which will make everything u put them into hometztik too.

On the other hand, if you wash them well with COLD watter, there will be no problems. Even with soap, if you want to feel more secure about it!

Also, in the US, eggs are washed b4 sale - have u ever seen a dirty egg?

Quote:
many people have a Minhag to peel ALL fruits and vegetables

same here - if the homets is in, it's too late, if it's not in yet, it can be washed off.

As these are minhagim, I guess those who were 'born' into them have to follow (ask your Rav), but those who didn't - I don't think they have to take them on. Ask your Rav, what else can be said!!

gryp

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 11:05 am
Quote:
same here - if the homets is in, it's too late, if it's not in yet, it can be washed off.

thats why we have a special knife for peeling and not used for anything else.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 11:11 am
RG wrote:
Quote:

thats why we have a special knife for peeling and not used for anything else.

if the chometz is inside, nothing will help, if it's outside, it can be washed off

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 11:11 am
miriam wrote:
(But you still need to break each hard boiled egg open and look inside before eating it.)

Where did you get this idea from? It is not necessary to check hard-boiled eggs in the US or any place where the eggs have no chance of being fertilized. #1 - because the chance of finding blood is slim in any case, since the eggs are candled before they're sold and #2 because if you do find blood, it's asur derabonon, not deoraisa and a safek derabanan we can be maikil on. You can even sip a raw egg from the shell, if you want, without checking it.

In places where the eggs are not candled and they come from farms where they might be fertilized, you might be required to check even hard-boiled eggs. Otherwise, it is not necessary.

Regarding cooking an odd number of eggs, it's recommended so that if more than one egg is treif, you still have a possibility of the majority being okay, and then your pot won't become treif, as it would otherwise.

(source: The New Practical Guide to Kashruth, by Rabbi S. Wagschal)

If I need to cook one or two eggs, I use an old can. If it becomes treif, I can throw it away with no regrets.

Last edited by sarahd on Sun, Mar 13 2005, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 11:16 am
Quote:
But you still need to break each hard boiled egg open and look inside before eating it.)

Where did you get this idea from?

I also used to check the insides of a hardboiled egg, but I stopped when I learned that the L. Rebbe didnt check his hard-boiled egg by the Seder before eating it with saltwater.

lucy

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 8:08 pm
I also used to check the insides of a hardboiled egg, but I stopped when I learned that the L. Rebbe didnt check his hard-boiled egg by the Seder before eating it with saltwater.[/quote]

Just a thought RG, but according to Lub. are so stringent of peeling everything throughout peseach, yet for the seder romain lettus or endives are used. Though not after the seder. I do know the reason but don't want to misexplain it so I won't go into it (something on the lines of that seder watches over or something).
So really you shouldn't use examples of Pesach for during the year bc its two different things!

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 1:17 am
How about that romaine lettuce/endives are used because the Gemara says to use them?

Checking eggs is a kashrus question, not a chometz question, so the Rebbe's actions - even at the Seder - are relevant all year round.

gryp

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 5:03 am
thanx sarahd- you explained it great.
lucy, I dont see what one has to do with the other- I know people who started to use lettuce on pesach because after all we use it by the seder. maybe one day we will get to that point Smile
but whether or not to check an egg is for kashrus, and if it doesnt have to be done at the seder, it doesnt have to be done all year round either, I would think.

supermom

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 5:41 am
you only cook and odd number of eggs because just incase one has a blood spot than you are patur because you made an odd number that is what I learned what does it have to do with the pot being trief? and another thing even if the eggs don't come from a farm you still need to check for blood spots do you know how many times I saw blood spots in eggs that didn't come straight from the farm, plenty of times.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen