Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Shelves in direct light

imab

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 7:56 am
Hi,
I have two shelves in my kitchen that are in pretty direct sunlight, what to store there?? I had some dry goods like bulgar lentils etc. but I'm worried they might go bad faster, any ideas? I have a tiny kitchen and hate the idea of wasted space.

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 8:21 am
Dishes?

Baking supplies (not chocolate!)

merelyme

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 11:45 am
Would you be interested in growing plants there?

tsiggelle

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 8:22 pm
could you put little curtains or build some sort of door to make it into a cupboard(even if its from a material other than wood)?

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 8:30 pm
Cookbooks
Baking pans
Glasses, dishes, vases, etc.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:21 pm
merelyme wrote:
Would you be interested in growing plants there?

Oh, that could be REALLY beautiful!! I WISH I'd have sunlight streaming in to a kitchen window.

imab

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 1:23 pm
One shelf is not such a deep shelf, the kind that is flush against a wall, the other is the end of my cabinet, two round edged corner shelves. Plants are cute but I have a huge space in the front yard with dirt, I'll work on that first. Dishes are a possibility but I'm afraid of anything really breakable falling off cause its narrow.

Aribenj

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 10:37 am
Do you need the space for storage? Why don't you use it to display something nice? (I always have pretty things I don't know where to put, like small decorations, a thin vase, a sculpture, etc) Otherwise, maybe it's a good place to display your kids art projects? or maybe you can put a cork board and tack on shopping lists, pictures, etc?

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 12:40 pm
Cookbooks. Baskets. Trays. The latter two on end and leaving against the wall. Or put your barley, pasta and so on into opaque canisters.

But why must you look for things with which to clutter the shelves? Is your eye offended by the sight of open space? Why not leave the shelves empty and then not have to worry about anything falling down and breaking or being damaged by sunlight? Trust me, eventually you will acquire something that will scream to be housed on those shelves. Probably a picture frame or serving dish that some sweet Shabbos guest will bring you as a hostess gift.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics