Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Aventura, Florida - any info

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 11:54 am
My husband might get a job there. Can anyone tell me anything about anything there.

Community, cost of living (housing), schools, yeshivishness, any kollel families....

Thanks for any info.

All I know is that they have a great mall and a yummy fleishig restaraunt (from vacay)

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:09 pm
Are you specifically interested in living in Aventura, or anywhere within commuting distance? From what I understand, the community there is mainly comprised of less right-wing Israelis and South Americans. However, North Miami Beach and Miami Beach are very doable if commuting is an option (less than 45 min each way, depending on location). If there is a yeshivish community in Aventura, I'm not aware of it. N Miami Beach and Miami Beach are more right wing.

The schools/yeshivos are either in N Miami Beach or Miami Beach. Housing costs vary a lot, depending on location. Miami Beach is the most expensive, but it's for a reason. There is a nice mall in Aventura, as well as lots of great restaurants there and nearby.

If you give me more info on what kind of community you are seeking, what kind of schools you want, housing budget, etc. I'd be happy to guide you further.

cranberry

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:25 pm
I live in North Miami Beach, which is the next city over. I can't tell you much about the community or cost of living in Aventura, but let me know if you want to know about here. As far as schooling, I'm assuming since you asked about a kollel and yeshivishness that you're looking for schools more to the right than the left (I know those aren't good designations, but I can't think of anything else at this moment.

There are mainly two schools that people send their children to. There's Toras Emes here in North Miami Beach. That's where I send my children, and we're very happy with it. There's also Yeshiva Elementary School in Miami Beach. It's about 20 minutes from me, maybe a bit more from Aventura. People who send their children there seem to be happy with it. There's also Landau Educational Center, a large Chabad elementary school.

We have an active kollel here in North Miami Beach, and there's also one in Miami Beach. Our kollel currently has eight families, and I'm not sure about the one in Miami Beach.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if you want info about NMB.

chatouli

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:30 pm
What about Hollywood? It's about 20 minutes from Aventura, maybe less. I don't know if it's yeshivish at all, but there are certainly a lot of frum families there and several shuls. I love Aventura to visit, but my experience is that most people are not American and English is rarely spoken. At my in-laws' shul, for example, the rabbi speaks in Spanish and Hebrew only.

A good thing about living in Miami Beach and commuting to Aventura is that it would be the reverse commute - south to north. You can spend your whole life in traffic on 95 if you are going from Aventura or Hollywood downtown.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:31 pm
cranberry wrote:
I live in North Miami Beach, which is the next city over. I can't tell you much about the community or cost of living in Aventura, but let me know if you want to know about here. As far as schooling, I'm assuming since you asked about a kollel and yeshivishness that you're looking for schools more to the right than the left (I know those aren't good designations, but I can't think of anything else at this moment.

There are mainly two schools that people send their children to. There's Toras Emes here in North Miami Beach. That's where I send my children, and we're very happy with it. There's also Yeshiva Elementary School in Miami Beach. It's about 20 minutes from me, maybe a bit more from Aventura. People who send their children there seem to be happy with it. There's also Landau Educational Center, a large Chabad elementary school.

We have an active kollel here in North Miami Beach, and there's also one in Miami Beach. Our kollel currently has eight families, and I'm not sure about the one in Miami Beach.

I am the amother who responded first. I live in Miami Beach, and we actually have 3 kollels here Smile The communities of N Miami Beach and Miami Beach are a bit different, but more info can give us an idea of which would be a better fit for your family. Also, spending some time on the streets and in the shuls and stores of each community can give you an idea of the crowd.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:42 pm
cranberry wrote:

First amother here. I live in Miami Beach, and we actually have 3 kollels Smile Each community is a bit different so we can better guide you if you describe yourself. Also, spending time in each community- on the streets, in shuls and shops- can give you an idea of the crowd.

chippy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 1:06 pm
I'm originally from Hollywood, and my husband is from Aventura. Luckily, Aventura is a very commutable city.

The cost of living in Aventura itself can be expensive, you mostly will be looking at apartments, and since it is nearer to the beach, rent is pretty high.
North Miami Beach is minutes from Aventura. There are a bunch of kosher restaurants there, and a few yeshivish schools like Toras Chaim and Bais Yaakov.
If you are looking at more modern orthodox schools- there is Hebrew Academy in Miami and Yeshiva High School in Boca (a drive, but a lot of kids do it).
The community itself is more right wing and there are more shuls there than I can count.

Hollywood has a few chabads and 1 main Young Israel-which more than 500 families go to. The community is pretty mixed very more right wing orthodox to more to the left modern orthodox. There is an elementary school Maimonadies there, and then the students eventually go to Yeshiva High School in Boca.

I don't know what age bracket you fall into, and if you are interested in a community with many young couples, but I don't know of any in Aventura area. I think it may be because there isn't a large community there and it can be pretty expensive. The grown Jewish communities are in North Miami Beach, Miami Beach, Hollywood, and Boca. There are a few other pretty small ones all over.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 18 2011, 4:16 am
Hi. Im the OP. We are a yeshivish couple that would coming from a yeshiva Kollel. We don't have kids old enough for schools yet but iy"H that time will come. North Miami Beach sounds like a good possibility. How much would a 3 bdrm apt be to rent there.
Thanks for all your help

chippy

Post Fri, Mar 18 2011, 4:48 pm
NMB is pretty affordable. If you want, I could give you the name of a real estate agent from the area. Just message me and let me know!

amother

Post Sat, Mar 19 2011, 10:15 pm
I live in aventura and it is amazing!! gorgeous. safe and pple do speak English!!. you can rent a town home and I love it here

amother

Post Sun, Mar 20 2011, 4:39 am
to the amother above can you describe yourself and the community you live in. (friends)

amother

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 1:52 pm
Hi, I am not OP, but we are thinking of moving to Florida as well.
We are coming from Boro Park-Brooklyn and I am very unsure about this descision.
DH really wants to since he says meshane makom meshane mazel.
We are married 4 years and still do not have kids, but eventually we will have to put our kids in cheder and school.
DH does have a job offer, so that's not an issue.
Are there any heimishe communities there that we will fit into?
What is the rent like in NMB and SMB??
I'm also pretty nervous about starting with new Dr's since we are dealing with IF issues here...
I'm really nervous even discussing this topic with DH but he is convinved we will have no problem settling in Miami.
Should we try it out for a couple of months first, or jump into it??
Please give your opinion/advice!

TIA

chippy

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 2:51 pm
I think your best bet may be NMB. They have tons of different shuls that you can choose what you feel most comfortable with. I hear that it is pretty affordable for housing there as well. It isn't the nicest community, but in my opinion its way more homier than Boro Park. Its quieter because its basically a suburb- no loud subways or ambulances (my memories of Boro Park).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating