Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Submissions to binah-mishpacha-ami
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

tsiggelle

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:12 am
lets keep this thread as factual as possible.

what are the pros and cons of each?

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:56 am
Not sure about any pros beyond having your name out there if any of them actually accept a submission.

That being said, they all take forever to confirm receipt of submissions and anywhere between a month to three months to then tell you if it's been accepted.

Having had three pieces accepted by Binah (and two already published): they did not confirm changes to my pieces with me, they did not give me advance notice of when I could expect my pieces to be published, and the third piece has been sitting by them for 9 months (despite having been told twice that it was going to be published any issue now).

Despite a love for writing and really wanting to have a voice that's heard, the whole thing has put me off Jewish Women's magazines altogether. God bless their regular writers for being more persistent than I was.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 9:06 am
Binah: Very hard to get accepted. They ahve stopped taking reader submissions. Once they accept something you can wait a year for it to be published. They do pay extremely promptly however and they pay nicely.

Mishpacha: they are very very picky with their submissions. They have a certain high caliber style. It's hard to get in with them. I have never had anything published there so I dont know how quickly or well they pay. I know their management had a shakeup since Rechy left and things go a lot more smoothly now. But I cant vouch for how their submissions & payment systems run.

Ami: They'll accept just about anything. Very easy to get into. however, forget about getting paid... I still havent gotten paid for a february article and many of their steady writers are struggling to see money from them.

There ya have it!

energy11

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 9:12 am
Such a shame....
Maybe we could have a secion on imamother featuring articles?
Or would that erase all chances of being published (as a double published article?)
I was published in Mishpacha,(as an interview) and it took about 2 months.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 9:19 am
energy, first of all there is already a writers club.
Secondly, the point of getting published is making money. anyone can blog...
I have a dozen amazing unwritten articles and a few more already written ones that I'm hesitating to work on, knowing that it ends up going in circles... getting shunted from one mag the other waiting months for publishing, wiating months for money....
(and that is with having an "in" in several magazines and constantly getting asked for submissions or even giving writing assignments. I jsut keep turning it down. It's almost not worth the money although writing is a therapeutic exercise. maybe I SHOULD.... mabye this is the push I needed? thanks... lol)

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 10:26 am
Still haven't been paid for a December article in Mishpacha. Maybe because it was in the teen mag, nobody is claiming responsibility for it and I keep getting shunted from one email address to another (or else ignored entirely.) Thanks for the reminder, will nudge them again. But it's so unprofessional, not to mention unethical, the way they're dealing with this.

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 12:24 pm
@MamaBear: I did not get paid for either of the two articles I wrote that the Binah accepted and published. I was told that they do not pay for non-comissioned articles.

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 12:35 pm
allrgymama wrote:
@MamaBear: I did not get paid for either of the two articles I wrote that the Binah accepted and published. I was told that they do not pay for non-comissioned articles.

Wow. They told you in advance that they wouldn't be paying you? Why did you agree to be published with no compensation?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 12:56 pm
wow allrgy mom I'm shocked!.... If they dont pay me for the article theyre publishing in June I'll have a fit. I couldve sent it in to Ami or mishpacha. oh well let's see.

tsiggelle

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:05 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
wow allrgy mom I'm shocked!.... If they dont pay me for the article theyre publishing in June I'll have a fit. I couldve sent it in to Ami or mishpacha. oh well let's see.

but you said ami doesnt pay, so I should try mishpacha?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:10 pm
Binah informed me three years ago that an article I submitted was accepted for publication. Then I never heard from them again. It never got published and I never got paid for it, though they made me promise I wouldn't submit it anywhere else.

Mama Bear

Ami will accept most anything. In mishpacha I you'll have a harder time getting accpeted. Ami pays... months later. If you can wait. I dont know if Mishpacha pays any faster - didnt publish there yet.

tikva18

Haven't been paid for photography in Ami - and that was back in December - likewise, I believe the person who wrote the article also didn't get paid yet.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:24 pm
[quote="Mama Bear"]Ami will accept most anything./quote]

Like what?

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:28 pm
The circulation systems of those magazines are painfully irksome. Pray tell, how exactly does the cycle of "circling the editorial board" work? I had two articles published in Binah, one pending by Hamodia that I'm still waiting to see in print, and so many more that are just circulating and circulating. And don't start me on rejections. Rolling Eyes

If writing wouldn't be a passion, we would be a bunch of quitters.

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:32 pm
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
Binah informed me three years ago that an article I submitted was accepted for publication. Then I never heard from them again. It never got published and I never got paid for it, though they made me promise I wouldn't submit it anywhere else.

Did you follow up?

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 4:27 pm
I submitted primarily for the exposure.

Once the article was accepted and published, I inquired as to whether I would be paid and they told me 'no.'

From now on, I have made sure to ask that in advance. Though I have since chosen to have pieces published in other places without pay, it was a choice that I was made, and, as such, much happier about it.

I am quite appalled at how the Binah responds.

(Although there are some other editors who are sketchy, too.)

Tova

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 5:59 pm
I'm really appalled and shocked about what I am reading re: payment (shalhevet's recent thread, anyone?). When I assisted on a finance article for Binah I was given the choice between a payment and a year's subscription and I took the latter to add onto my already paid for 2 year subscription. But I am very disappointed to read this about the frum magazines which we all support. I am telling myself that I cannot believe any of this as fact. I do hope our members who work for these magazines though take these posts to heart.

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:11 pm
Oh dear. And here I was hoping I could maybe have a future as a writer for these magazines.

Any idea whether there's a difference in the way they treat professional writing as opposed to artistic pieces? (I.e. writing about one's field of professional expertise vs. writing stories/poems)

merelyme

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:43 pm
Wow, I never heard of a magazine having a policy of not paying.

Mommeeeeeeee!, I think you should let them know that they have one week to get back to you and then you're submitting the article elsewhere.

Anyone who wasn't paid for a published article (unless you agreed to that), please write an e-mail to the magazine and tell them that this is, as gp2.0 said, unprofessional and unethical.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room