Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yiddish Names in Israel (non chassidish)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:52 am
there are certain specific names that have "issues", whether Yiddish or Lukshen Kodesh. But that's not the vast majority of Yiddish names. I doubt that R. Moshe held to ban Yiddish names.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 5:00 am
Maybe not, but it's known that the Steipler Gaon said that one should not give Yiddish names to children in circles in EY where it's not generally done.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 5:18 am
it's not generally done, but I don't understand why. hence, I named two children after grandparents and the second names were both yiddish. we call them by both names. nobody is making fun of anyone. as far as isser and other made-fun of names, my husband always says it's not gonna be the name that is going to make someone to be made fun of--it's going to be the person.

Shuly

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 7:21 am
I know a chareidi (not chassidishe) family in Israel who named their daughter Tova Gittel and called her Gitty. Once she started school, Gitty began calling herself Tova. It's actually pretty funny - the phone rings and the the person on the line will say "Efshar Lidaber Im Tova?" and the person who answers says "Gitty, phone call!"

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 7:32 am
TzenaRena wrote:
there are certain specific names that have "issues", whether Yiddish or Lukshen Kodesh. But that's not the vast majority of Yiddish names. I doubt that R. Moshe held to ban Yiddish names.

Lukshen Kodesh... I love that typo...

shevi82

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:32 pm
Back to the op's question: If you are in Litvish Israeli circles some names will pass like Gitty. But in general most kids do not have Yiddish names

ReallyRosie

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:19 am
I live in Israel, use my Yiddish name (and I'm dati leumi.) Many people here have difficulty pronouncing it despite the fact that it's very common and has only two syllables. Many American Jews particularly from Conservative and Reform backgrounds chose Yiddish names for their babies rather than Hebrew names because they were just naming after a grandparent or so. My parents didn't think I was really going to use the name (at least not often). But I use it, love writing it, and wouldn't substitute it for anything. It makes me unique, and I feel a gift of history and connection in my name.

My kids have Hebrew names, but they definitely aren't the common and popular names. I chose meaningful names for my children (including a Yiddish middle name) and I don't regret it for a second.

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:06 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
it's not generally done, but I don't understand why. hence, I named two children after grandparents and the second names were both yiddish. we call them by both names. nobody is making fun of anyone. as far as isser and other made-fun of names, my husband always says it's not gonna be the name that is going to make someone to be made fun of--it's going to be the person.

Even if they're not being made fun of, it's as if you put a huge sticker on their forehead that says, "I'm American". Same with 2 names. When I go through my kids' class lists, I can always figure out which kids are undoubtedly American, if they have a Yiddish name, or are called by two names, like Sara Rivka, Avraham David, etc.
Which is why I'm not planning on having my Avrumy be called that in school, because it's stereotipically American. Instead once he goes to Hebrew gan he'll be Avreimy, which is the Israeli version.

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 5:35 am
What shevi and c.c.cookie said. Some Yiddish names go in Chareidi Ashkenazi circles - Gitty, Raizy. My son's teacher is Freidy. But the girls are mainly Sara'le, Leah'le, Chani and Racheli.

Two names are very American, and my dd dropped her first name in high school.

In theory I have nothing against Yiddish names, but in practice I couldn't bring myself to give any of my Israeli kids Yiddish names. One kid has a sav in his name. I knew Israelis would pronounce it with a tav - fine with me.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 5:44 am
Isramom8 wrote:
One kid has a sav in his name. I knew Israelis would pronounce it with a tav - fine with me.
One of my daughters has a friend called Batya, known as Bassy, spelt beis samech yud

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 5:57 am
Until our Aliya, I was known by my Yiddish name, which is what everyone called me. When I was born, I was given my Hebrew name in Shul and an English name on my birth certificate, with the understanding that I would use my Yiddish name, as I was named for my maternal grandmother. There were no problems except sometimes non-Jews messed my name up a little and I was ashamed to correct them.
When we made Aliya in 1973, I was introduced by my Hebrew (shul-given) name, which promptly turned into my Hebrew nickname and my Yiddish name is only used by my parents, sibs and some cousins from the US.
It's a little sad that my grandmother's actual name is no longer used (my mother is an only child) but my Hebrew and English names reflect that name so it's "as if" I still hold her name.
In any event, this story is to say: in mainstream Israel, Yiddish doesn't work.

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 6:01 am
mummy-bh wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
One kid has a sav in his name. I knew Israelis would pronounce it with a tav - fine with me.
One of my daughters has a friend called Batya, known as Bassy, spelt beis samech yud

That's a way around it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 10:05 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:
Like I can understand not giving less common names like "Dobba" and "Tsharna" and "Shprintza" and Aibish in Israel, because those names would probably get mocked in non chassidish circles.

what's with this mocking business? Since when is mocking Jewish names considered Jewish?! Why is this accepted in ANY circle? Please don't treat the name as a problem.
It's the (anti -Jewish/religious/chareidi/chassidus) mockers and whatever they stand for that's the problem (and those that excuse them) and who should be ashamed, not you.

The first chapter in Shulchan Aruch gives us the instruction that is the foundation and baseline of the entire SA and indeed our entire Jewish lives: "Al Yeivosh mpnei hmaligim" Do not be ashamed ie. take heed of the mockers!

Hold your head high, think about the family members you cherish,love, and esteem, and their everlasting values of Yiddishkeit which they upheld and gave over to you, and give the name you want to, it has JEWISH meaning and value, (unlike the silly, immature hangups these people have).

Yes

TzenaRena

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 1:52 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Until our Aliya, I was known by my Yiddish name, which is what everyone called me. When I was born, I was given my Hebrew name in Shul and an English name on my birth certificate, with the understanding that I would use my Yiddish name, as I was named for my maternal grandmother. There were no problems except sometimes non-Jews messed my name up a little and I was ashamed to correct them.
When we made Aliya in 1973, I was introduced by my Hebrew (shul-given) name, which promptly turned into my Hebrew nickname and my Yiddish name is only used by my parents, sibs and some cousins from the US.
It's a little sad that my grandmother's actual name is no longer used (my mother is an only child) but my Hebrew and English names reflect that name so it's "as if" I still hold her name.
In any event, this story is to say: in mainstream Israel, Yiddish doesn't work.
Isn't that sad though? and ironically, it's davka a Galus mentality to be ashamed of and consider inferior names hallowed by Jewish tradition. Which is why, even (or especially) in Israel we say "mipnei chato'einu goleinu me'artzeinu". Yes Galus is alive and well there.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 5:02 am
Why is ok to pick any made up random name which a lot of Israelis do and a Yiddish name is not exceptable. A lot of Israelis or non chasidish people are named Yiddish names and call themselves by their hebrew version and chasidim do the same. For instance calling Tzvi Hershy or Dov Berry. But by these names the Hebrew version is always the one given by the bris.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 3:40 pm
Back to the original question. . . I live in an area in Yerushalayim that has a mix of Dati Leumi, Dati Torani, Chardal, (a small number of) American Yeshivish, and Chareidim. Only the Chareidim use Yiddish names, and Yiddish names are not really accepted in any of the other circles (though middle names are ok if not used).

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 4:04 pm
I'm curious what is the name toba/Toby? Is it Yiddish?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:10 pm
mummy-bh wrote:

Haha- was that my neighbor?! Her mother did it legally in EY because she didn't want her daughter's name pronounced Batti! (Lives in SM)

SpottedBanana

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
Haha- was that my neighbor?! Her mother did it legally in EY because she didn't want her daughter's name pronounced Batti! (Lives in SM)

Now I'm dying to know -- what is SM? You can PM me if you want. I don't know a single Bassy who ever lived in EY.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:49 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
Now I'm dying to know -- what is SM? You can PM me if you want. I don't know a single Bassy who ever lived in EY.

Sanhedria Murchevet, maybe?
I know several American Israeli Bassy's.
None are charedi btw.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names