Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Weird Diaper Rash (longish)

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 9:01 pm
So DD has not been feeling well since last Shabbos.

She's been cranky and congested (but also has a green mucus-y nose) and is coughing. Motzei Shabbos she had a fever. By Monday, she really was not acting herself (waking up in the middle of the night and screaming and hanging herself all over me) so I took her to the doctor to see if there was an ear infection or a sinus infection (today was my last day of antibiotics for my own sinus infection) or something else bothering her. The doctor said it was probably just a cold and to give her Tylenol or Motrin if she was unhappy just so she should be more comfortable.

Personality-wise, she did improve on Tuesday and yesterday, but she had four dirty diapers between 6 am and 1 pm yesterday and a fever at around 3 pm.

There was a point during the day when I changed her diaper and she had these red spots all over her tushie; it was not at all all like a regular diaper rash (or, like one of DD's regular diaper rashes, anyway). While there were parts that had that sort of 'rubbed raw' look (around the folds of her l*bia, her actual tushie was just covered in clusters of these red spots. They weren't pimpled or raised -- just flat red dots.

I assumed it was a diaper rash because I hadn't gotten to change her dirty diaper quick enough and went on with the day.

By the time I put her to bed last night, they were gone.

This morning, she had two dirty diapers, but I got to them very quickly (determined by the fact that when I changed them, her tushie looked fine). Then, when I went to put her into bed tonight, the red spots were back and there were more of them! This was hours after her last dirty diaper and I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 wet diaper change in between that and the before-bed change.

Now, I know that, in the past, when other people post health-related questions, I always answer with 'talk to your doctor'. I don't want to seem a hypocrite, so I'll say that I did talk to her doctor, after the office already closed for the day. If it's still there in the morning, we'll be going in.

I am just curious though (just to know from now until tomorrow morning, or to know if she wakes up tomorrow and it's gone again) whether anyone else's children have had anything like this? Is it usually just a diaper rash? I'm concerned that it's a virus or infection that, besides for making her sick and miserable, is also manifesting itself in this way for some reason (the way that herpes is a viral infection that can result in sores around one's privates -- although, based on a Google image search, that isn't AT ALL what this looks like).

I did do a Google image search with every variation of 'baby bottom red spots' that I could think of it didn't turn up any pictures that looks like what's on DD's tushie.

Thanks for your help!

yummy2

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 10:56 pm
Pm me

obagys

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:26 pm
My DD had an more unusual looking diaper rash and multiple dirty diapers....turned out she had strep there. It was treated with prescription cream and oral antibiotics.

gold21

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:47 pm
yeah, it definitely sounds infected.
I would guess it is fungal, cuz you said there are a lot of little red dots.

drumjj

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:30 am
I also think fungal

Beinoni mommie

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 4:19 am
also think it is fungal, sounds like candidia. if your into the healthy alternative try coconut oil.

allrgymama

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 11:10 am
Thank you all!

It was gone again this morning, for the most part, so I'm hesitant to take her to the doctor. What I want to show him isn't actually there anymore.

(She just has a few -- like 3 or 4 -- darker red dots now on one side, and some redness on the other.)

I will definitely take her in later if it comes back again.

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 1:22 pm
Try changing diaper brands. My son got hives from Pampers!

The fact that it keeps coming and going doesn't sound like an infection to me. . . . .

allrgymama

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:03 pm
@Miami Mommy: thing is, though, DD is 2 years old and we have always used Pampers. I haven't even opened a new package lately, so I can't imagine why it would suddenly start bothering her.

Also, unlike a regular diaper rash, it didn't seem to be bothering her at all, so I don't think it's hives either (or she would also seem bothered).

I'm keeping an eye on it over Shabbos and will take her to the doctor on Sunday if I need to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics