Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Clear Cream Recall
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Barbara

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 6:07 pm
miky72 wrote:
@ Barbara:I had a very long conversation with my Ped today and you can also check from this link:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medline......html
Hydrocortisone cream over the counter has 1% or 0.5% concentration.

Presumably, your pediatrician is aware that Clear Cream contains betamethasone valerate, a prescription corticosteroid. Hydrocortisone, while also a corticosteroid, is a different substance which, at low doses is non-prescription.

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 8:01 pm
@rainbow: I have a cousin with severe celiac who, in addition to the obvious gluten issue also has a problem with additives and preservatives and colorings.

Since sugary things (candies, juices, ices, etc) all tend to have those things, that might be it.

(Sorry if I'm pushing on this; I've heard of a variety of food allergies, but never heard of anyone actually allergic to sugar. If her allergy is actually to sugar, that would make it incredibly uncommon.)

gryp

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 8:35 pm
I don't know if my son is actually allergic to sugar, but I do know that his body does not digest sugar properly.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 8:44 pm
@ Allrgymama and Rainbow

A few things to consider if 'sugar' is a problem:

1) A fish allergy. A large number of sweets contain fish gelatin.

2) A reaction to food colorings. Food colorings are essential food dyes (unless you are using something like turmeric for yellow and beet juice for red), and food dyes = chemicals. I work as a face painter and there are a certain percentage of kids who react to some of the chemical dyes.

3) A reaction to other additives. Gluten, soy (lecithin, oil, etc), and corn (HFCS) are very popular additives to many sugary treats.

Additionally, sugar = bleached. The chemical process for bleaching could be causing a problem.

There are some legitimate studies for sugar and small bowel bacterial overgrowth (but its after 10:30 and my baby is still crying so I'm not going digging for them now) where sugar causes intestinal distress.

Long story short, talk with your pediatrician.

hazelj18

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:00 pm
This is really upsetting. I am not sure what to think. It works for my eczema...at first but not as much anymore. I just bought more of the stuff too. It is EXPENSIVE. I sort of feel like I was taken advantage of, as cortisone is pretty cheap.

I asked another seller about it having cortisone, and she said oh we had different samples of it sent to a lab and they didn't find anything. She said the people saying it had cortisone weren't telling the truth.

HaShem, please send the cure for eczema soon.

willow

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 2:47 am
I don't even know if it is eczema. Its two Blotchy spots on his cheeks. I only used it a week but it disappeared in a few days.
Argh last night I could not sleep thinking about how this ***...got away with labeling it pure and natural when it isn't. If he has been honest I would not be as angry

willow

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 3:09 am
oh and I don't eat any sugar or white flour products and he is fully nursing. The doctor said its normal

allrgymama

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 5:45 am
For the people who have redness on their faces (or their children), it might be rosacea?

My mother has that and was using the Clear Cream until she started laser treatments to heal it.

Rosacea is defined as: a chronic skin condition involving inflammation of the cheeks, nose, chin, forehead, or eyelids. It may appear as redness, prominent spider-like blood vessels, swelling, or skin eruptions similar to acne.

(Although, I don't know if babies get it?)

@grip: even if it is sugar, it might not be a 'proper' food allergy.

Technically, though the reactions of a person eating celiac might seem the same to some allergy reactions, it isn't the same at all. Until they diagnosed her celiac, my cousin hardly grew in height and hardly put on any weight. She had debilitating stomach cramps and other severe reactions. Celiac is disease where the lining of the intestines gets damaged after much exposure (the way someone with Crohn's suffers damage to their bowels and might have to have part of their intestines removed because of the damage).

A food allergy (though they can be dangerous and Anaphylaxis is real concern) is a heightened immune response. People who have food allergies tend to have their immediate reaction and then it's gone -- no long-lasting damage unless it was a very severe reaction -- with some possible discomfort for 6 weeks after the exposure while they get the allergen totally out of their system.

So basically, talk to a doctor about it. There's no reason to cut things out of your child's diet if they aren't what's causing the problem.

@willow: how old is your baby? A certain amount of baby acne is normal in the first few weeks or months.

Also, if it's in two specific places on his face, have you considered that you might be wearing a moisturizer or body spray that your baby is allergic to? His face would be pressed against your skin the entire time he's nursing and that might be it.

Last edited by allrgymama on Wed, May 18 2011, 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 5:48 am
Willow, my oldest had a face rash due to excessive drooling/spitting up that irritated his skin when he was sleeping. He outgrew it eventually.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 6:32 am
My DD used to have red blotchy cheeks, especially in the winter. It's basically windburn - winds dry out the skin on sensitive cheeks. My doctor recommended aquaphor, which is basically petroleum jelly - it worked wonderfully.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 6:38 am
rainbow wrote:
allrgymama wrote:
@rainbow: I'm curious, how was she eliminating sugar (assuming your grandaughter isn't just being handed spoons of it straight)? If it was being eliminated in things like cookies and cake, the eczema might be related to a food allergy that's in those foods (eggs, flour, etc).

Has that been considered?

Indeed, my dd is considering it may be other ingredients. However, during the time she was avoiding sugar she did have eggs and matza. So it leads us to believe sugar is the culprit.
Often, a well-meaning bubby (not me) would give her a lollipop and within a few hours the itch returned...

Could be dyes are the culprit, not sugar.

The health food store where I live sells these awesome lollypops that are dye free and contain only natural sugars. Flavors like pomegranate, lemon (the real stuff), raspberry, watermelon, etc....My kids love them, and I sneak some myself. Strongly recommend these on hand for a bubby who wants to treat her grandchildren. Forgot the brand name - something like Yummy Earth.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 7:08 am
You can get those on Amazon, BTW.

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 6:09 pm
ok, for all the mothers who are going thru what I did for the past few months - a baby who is itchy, itchy, itchy cuz he's full of eczema and can't sleep at night cuz he's itching himself and can't nap by day and can only wear 100% cotton clothes, washed with sp detergent, and needs to wear gloves on his hands so he shouldn't bleed when he itches......and needs to be distracted all the time....

its so so so frustrating to watch your kid in pain and u can't do anything about it.

- nothing works! I tried vaseline, petrolium jelly, hydrocotrtisone, homeopathic creams, benadryl, clarinex, fucidin, antibiotics, elimination diets, etc etc -
couldn't test him for allergies under 6 mos cuz it's not so accurate yet, he's only nursing -
and then finally finding clear cream (which didn't take it away, just kept it under control).....

I stumbled upon NAET from a friend who it worked for. NAET dr's use kineseology and acupressure to test for and eliminate allergies. it's gentle and non-invasive. it's expensive too. I've started it with my son and yes it has been working. slowly, slowly. his eczema used to be all over his body besides his nose and chin. now - after 12 treatments - he has soft baby skin on about 90% of his body, he sleeps peacefully at night btwn nursing, and the eczema itself isn't as intense
I'm posting anon because my family and friends all know - I pretty much tell e/o I meet about it. if u would like more info, call me (514) 762-1298.

there are 8,000 drs around the world who are trained for this, naet.com has a list.

cip

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 6:24 pm
before you waste tons of $ on naet like I did, I just want to tell you my story.
naet worked for us in the beg. (few months).
once we started adding more foods, the eczema came right back.
soon after, we did blood allergy testing and once we went off all the foods again the eczema was controlled.
I think that naet only worked in the beg. when we were off all the real allergens. once we went back on the foods, the eczema returned.

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 7:20 pm
amother above.
why did you stop naet? why didn't you continue and do those foods as well - the ones the blood tests showed to be allergies?
asking cuz I want to know, not accusing

and also, I wanted to correct that I didn't "stubmble" on NAET. Hashem runs the world, He makes everything happen, and it's thanks to Him that I found NAET.

Queen18

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:03 am
I took my five month old to the allergist and got a diagnosis. Hopefully he will be better once we eliminate what he's allergic to. The doctor did say that exzema and dermatitis are common in babies and not necessarily caused by an allergy. We are also going to have the baby retested in about 8 months to see if he still comes up as allergic to the same things.

willow

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 3:01 am
HY it could be the drooling. I do have rosacea at times. I don't think that is what he has

cip

Post Sat, May 21 2011, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
amother above.
why did you stop naet? why didn't you continue and do those foods as well - the ones the blood tests showed to be allergies?
asking cuz I want to know, not accusing

and also, I wanted to correct that I didn't "stubmble" on NAET. Hashem runs the world, He makes everything happen, and it's thanks to Him that I found NAET.

I stopped naet because the eczema returned full force when foods whose allergies should have been gone were eaten.
this includes foods that showed up on the blood test. (ex. naet doc. said to go off eggs. eczema got better. then the neat doc. "took away" allergy to eggs. when I gave eggs, the eczema returned. when I took a blood test, it showed an allergy to eggs. I went off eggs again and the eczema calmed.)

Liba

Post Sat, May 21 2011, 11:49 pm
We did NAET for a while and it really did help. We B"H managed to "clear" my daughter's wheat allergy. We didn't finish because of cost. We simply couldn't afford it. It was~$100 a session and she insisted we come twice a week, so $800 a month, and we couldn't keep it up long term.

malky12

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 6:29 pm
sorry for bringing up a old topic
do anyone have a idea where I can get the clear cream?
I need it desperately for my 3 year old
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics