Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Please help me help my Non Jewish Neighbor

overthehill

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 7:55 pm
I have a neighbor who is not Jewish and extremely sweet. She has a mother who is in her 80's who lives with her.

Mom is developing dementia, is becoming depressed and anxious and refuses to go to ANY MD. She desperately needs help. Mom is driving my neighbor (her daughter) and kids insane with her bizarre behavior.

Neighbor doesnt want to throw mom out- she wants to get her help-

Are there any Doctors or Nurses or Agencies in the Brooklyn Area that provide in house care to patients who cannot/or will not get help?

How does one find assisted living for a non Jewish Female?

Please help me help her

TIA

zaq

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 8:42 pm
First thing she ought to do is apply for Medicaid for her mother. Once she's on medicaid she can qualify for care. That's how it s where I live, anyway, but Medicaid varies from state to state. she should also look at faith-based organizations (IOW, her church).

dimples

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:00 pm
Tell her to get onto Medicaid and then Medicaid will pay for homecare, namely aids and nurses. If the mom makes more income than the Medicaid cutoff level (from social security, etc), have her look into a community pooled trust. She will distribute her excess income every month into the trust and the trust will be the ones to pay her bills...and she will still be eligible for Medicaid. There are two trusts that I know of NYSARC and Lifetime Care Foundation at Ohel. They are both non-secterian so it doesnt matter what ethnicity she is. You can PM me for more details if necessary.

overthehill

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:10 pm
She is not eligible for Medicaid and even if she transfers her assets, it takes a few years now.

She has Medicare and a secondary insurance.

smilingmom

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:13 pm
If her mother has dementia, she can apply to the courts to become her mother's legal guardian. this will enable her to make medical deciaions on her mother's behalf.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries