Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Vacht nacht - shalom zachor

skazm

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 5:37 pm
OK, so a shalom zachor is Friday night after the baby is born, and the vacht nacht is the night before the bris.
The shalom zachor, I need to serve chick peas, I know, but what else is usually customary?

And the vacht nacht? Does your husband really need to find 10 men to stay up with all night watching or can he do that on his own? And what is customary food wise??

Thanks

cm

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 7:41 pm
At the vach nacht, neighborhood children gather and sing "Shema" and "Hamalach." They usually go home with little goody bags - if a neighbor or relative says, "is there anything I can do to help?" ask her to make up some bags of nosh!

Hope this helps!

sleepwalking

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 9:29 am
skazm wrote:
OK, so a shalom zachor is Friday night after the baby is born, and the vacht nacht is the night before the bris.
The shalom zachor, I need to serve chick peas, I know, but what else is usually customary?

And the vacht nacht? Does your husband really need to find 10 men to stay up with all night watching or can he do that on his own? And what is customary food wise??

Thanks

For the shalom zachor you usually serve fruits and nuts AFAIK

By the vach nacht you make a seuda for 10 people (its usually challa, salads, kugel and compote) and then your husband stays awake the whole night.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 10:31 am
Beer at the shalom zachor. Its kinda 'kiddush-like'. fruit, nuts, candy, maybe cake. that sorta thing.

cookie1

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 6:32 pm
I just looked into this myself! Cakes, cookies, potato chips, pretzels, some chocolates, arbes of course, beer and soda. not a big deal. mazel Tov!

Six boyz

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 8:00 pm
this is what we did. And we made seven of them. most people I know do this too . Shalom Zachor is in shul we had pop corn chips chick pease cocolate such as jelly rings marshmalows vienese crunch/nuts fruits-g rapes oranges. also some candies such as jelly beans . beer (A MUST)

Vacht nacht at home. All the leftovers from zachor potato/lokshen kugel/gefilte fish/cake. we served some hot foods buffet style ,such as grilled chicken/sesame chicken/mini franks and knishes. As for the peckelech you can give a bag of chips.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics