Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Play Group

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 3:23 pm
I would like to send DD to a playgroup (here in Lakewood, as close to Coventry as possible, though not necessarily in Coventry) for the summer and next year.

Rather than calling up everyone with an ad out to find out if they would take a kid with food allergies, does anyone know of any Morah's who are okay with it and are also good Morah's (and, preferably, certified in first aid and CPR)?

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 7:50 am
From personal experience, Just about every playgroup has 2-3 kids with allergies...it's that common.

allrgymama

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 8:12 am
I would have assumed the same, given the growth of allergies in recent years.

But the very first person that I called seemed totally freaked out by the idea and said that she had only ever had one kid with allergies before. She also wasn't certified.

Ideally, I'm looking for someone who has a daycamp during the summer that DD could then stay in straight through all of next year, rather than adjusting her to a new Morah and group.

Know anyone like that?

small bean

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 1:22 pm
btw - most of the ppl I called did not have experience with allergies...

I would not send to anyone with a big group (eventhogh I foumd those teachers more willing to take them) because I dont feel like they can really be on top of it. im sending my son whose allergic to almost all protiens to a group of 5 kids. I hope it works well.

good luck

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 4:00 pm
@small bean: I found a Morah willing to take her where she will be 1 of about 10 kids watched by 2 morahs.

I'm hopeful it'll work out. I guess we'll see.

Good luck!

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 7:45 pm
good luck. I was also scared to send my daughter off. B"H I found a small group with a babysitter who is expereinced with food allergies- her own kids have many. its in BP and would highly reccomend her to anyone.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 8:53 pm
Just to reassure you - there are so many kids in every class with allergies, its almost a "ho-hum" issue. In general I was more comfortable with the "institutional" type places (these dont exist any more but like Tiny Tots, Kidz Zone etc Now Kidz Place is opening in Bais Rivka Rochel- same idea- its legal and the administrator is certified in CPR). once they get to school the school nurses hang onto all the epipens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics