Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Please share your best soup recipes
1  2  3  Next

SV

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 8:59 pm
My husband is trying to lose some weight and likes to have a big bowl of soup for dinner. So far I make vegetable/chicken soup, meatball soup, split pea soup, or mushroom soup. I could really use some variety. Please share your best recipes. The less carb-y the better.

monkey

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 9:10 pm
you can make a butternut squash soup...sautee onions (with some garlic-if you like fresh garlic)..add cut up butternut squash, salt, pepper (what ever spices u like) let it boil first and then simmer until the squash is soft..and blend!
Its delicious!!

May

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 9:16 pm
I make Monkey's recipe all the time, but with zucchini and it's delicious. No carbs in it at all and no articficial flavorings (like soup mix).

SV

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 9:37 pm
I should've specified in my OP that I don't have a blender. Thanks for the ideas though.

Happy 2B

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 9:38 pm
if you want low carb but with fat
you can make a creamed zucchini soup

saute onions in butter
add zucchini with skin
let cook till soft...
mash or pure'
add heavy cream

This is my hubby's favorite soup I gave you the basic instructions.
but if you need exact amounts I may have the recipe.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 9:54 pm
Do you have a food processor? That works too. Zucchini soup (sauteed onions, zucchini, water to boil, salt) is delicious cold too which is great for the summer..

paprika

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 10:13 pm
SV wrote:
I should've specified in my OP that I don't have a blender. Thanks for the ideas though.

A hand blender is a very cheap item. It shouldn't cost more the $20. It's an item that goes very often on sale.

Just stick it into the large pot of soup, turn on the button, and within minutes you have a blended soup. No need to bother pouring into blenders and food processors.

seeker

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 11:08 pm
If you're going to get serious about soups, just buy a stick blender. It's not so expensive and once you have it you'll find it coming in handy for all sorts of things. And you'll no longer be able to say "I can't do that because I don't have a blender" ;-)

Here are a couple of easy ones. I do have more preferred soups but at this stage of my life the first thing that comes to mind is "easy."

Easy tomato soup:
Sautee 1/2 onion (diced) in about 2 Tbsp olive oil
Add 1 medium size (about 2 cups) can of tomato juice and same amount of water
About 1/4 of a green pepper, diced teeny
a full Tbsp sugar and a scant Tbsp salt
A few Tbsp rice (I like more rice so I put about 4 heaping. DH likes less rice so he'd say 3 level. I use brown rice)
When rice is soft, soup is ready.

I was going to post easy potato soup too, but just realized I don't know it by heart as confidently as I thought. It's basically potatoes, onions, water, salt, pepper, and a little parsley. Cook for a while and smush around the potatoes a little to thicken the soup.

Here's a less easy but much richer, milchig potato soup:
Brown a medium-size onion (diced) in 3 Tbsp butter (don't let it get burnt, just translucent)
Add 1 grated carrot
Add 3 cups diced potatoes, 3 cups water, a generous tsp salt, and about 1/4 tsp white pepper (go easy on the pepper until you know how you like it)
Bring to a boil then slowly add 2 Tbsp farina
Boil 20 minutes then add 3 cups of milk (it's a lot. I make this when I have excess milk and think it might spoil before we use it)
Return to boil.
Garnish with parsley flakes.

shaini

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 12:41 am
SV, I know you would like some recipes but can you post your split pea soup recipe? You could make potato and leek soup. I don't have the recipe to hand but can post if wanted.

SV

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 10:00 am
Thank you everybody for the ideas. Keep them coming please.

Shaini, I don't really have a recipe for the split pea soup. But basically I sautee diced onions and shredded carrots in some oil (you don't have to do that but I find that the soup tastes much better like this), add water to fill up the pot and add spices (salt, pepper, bay leaf, MSG-free soup mix etc). Once the water boils, add split peas (you need to play around with water to peas ratio) and cubed potatoes. Let it cook for at least an hour and a half or until the split peas disintegrate. I find that this is a good soup to make in a crock pot since the longer you cook it the better it tastes. You could also make it more filling/hearty by adding flanken or chicken bones/necks.

mamochka

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 8:50 pm
My new soup that my family likes is
2 cups of carrots diced
2-3 potatoes (we are a potato family)
2 celeries
1 onion
1 can of great northern beans
1/3-1/2 of package of bodek green cabbage
half a can of tomatoes in tomato sauce (if tomatoes are whole, cut them)

I put in first five ingredient with water to cover them, Bring to boil and then add the cabbage and tomatoes with sauce.
Pepper and salt to taste.
This time I also added half of large zucchini and a pepper.

Ministroni (?spelling) soup is also very good

SV

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:17 am
Bump.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:26 am
Vegetable-Pea Soup

2 large onions, chopped coarsely
1/2 cup yellow split peas
1/2 cup green split peas
4 sweet potatoes, peeled
8 large carrots, peeled
4-6 zucchini, peeled
2 packages frozen butternut squash
1 leek, cleaned
1 parsnip, peeled
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed
(optionally, replace salt and pepper with 2 tablespoons each of onion soup mix and chicken soup mix)

Saute onions in a drop of oil. Add three quarts of water and bring to a boil. Add everything else. Lower flame and simmer covered for 1-1/2 hours. Remove and discard leek and parsnip. Puree the soup in a blender or with stick blender. When reheating to serve, do not use a high flame, and stir frequently. Dilute as necessary with more water (or milk for milchig version). Soup should be very thick.

Optionally, for fleishig version, cook turkey carcass, meat bones, etc. in the water for an hour, then discard, then continue as above.

Basimcha

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:33 am
Red lentil soup---its healthy and delicious!

rivk241

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 1:41 pm
butternut squash soup from dining in is the best soup I ever had and its healthy.....pm me if u want the recipe....

sarachana

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 1:46 pm
Happy 2B wrote:
if you want low carb but with fat
you can make a creamed zucchini soup

saute onions in butter
add zucchini with skin
let cook till soft...
mash or pure'
add heavy cream

This is my hubby's favorite soup I gave you the basic instructions.
but if you need exact amounts I may have the recipe.

I did this last night but I added a few potatoes and 3 carrots and it was INCREDIBLE! (oh I skipped the heavy cream and used olive oil, so it was pareve, but the potatoes helped to thicken it.)

sarachana

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 1:47 pm
rivk241 wrote:
butternut squash soup from dining in is the best soup I ever had and its healthy.....pm me if u want the recipe....

I am curious to know what it in the soup that makes it so good, not the recipe just the ingredients.

lollygirl

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 1:48 pm
I agree. Lentil soup is hearty, healthy and yummy.

1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups dry lentils
8 cups water
1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons vinegar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.

racz

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 1:55 pm
Many of the recipes come from Imamother

Butternut Squash Soup
3 lbs butternut squash
olive oil
2 extra large onions, chopped
1/8 to 1/4 c. chopped parsley (I use 2 T. flakes)
1 1/2 t. salt
4 1/2 c. water
1/4 t. nutmeg
black pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and bake cut-side down on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. (I use a pam'ed aluminum pan.) Bake for 30 minutes (always takes longer for me- abt. 45 min.) or until tender. Scoop out the pulp into a bowl and set aside. Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add onions and parsley and saute about 15 minutes or until lightly browned, adding drops of water so it does not stick. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Puree until smooth.

Egg drop soup
cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce

Bring to boil

Take two eggs, beat them in cup.

Turn off fire.

Add eggs, mix in soup.
Let sit five minutes.
Add scallions.

Zucchini Soup
3 Tbsp canola oil
3 large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
6-8 medium zucchini, with skin, ends trimmed, and cut into chunks
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (I use 1 tsp dried parsley)
1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped (I use 1 tsp dried dill)
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (I use a tiny touch of dried basil)
7 cups chicken broth, can use parve bouillon dissolved in water (I usually use water and then add a lot of salt to taste at the end)
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in 8 qt pot over med-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute 5-7 minutes.
Add zucchini for 3-5 minutes. Then parsley, dill and basil for 3 minutes. Add broth or water. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer 25 minutes.
Blend soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Mushroom Barley Soup
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 bay leaf, crumbled
3 T margarine* (I use olive oil, but it gives it a different taste)
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced (you can use canned if you need to, but it's not the same)
2 T flour
2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
8 c water* (If making diary use ½ or ¼ milk or soy milk)
1/2 - 2/3 c barley

Saute onion and bay leaf in margarine until soft. Add mushrooms and saute until limp. Add carrot and celery and saute a few more minutes. Mix in flour completely and then add water, spices and barley. Bring to a boil; simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours covered.

Zuchinni/spinach soup
1 cup chopped onions
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 lbs zucchini, cut into chunks
2 golden Yukon potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
2 cloves minced garlic
1 quart chicken soup or vegetable stock
1 (10 oz) box chopped spinach, thawed and drained
salt
pepper

In a pot heat oil and add onions. Cook until tender. Add garlic, zucchini and potatoes. Cook over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. Add soup. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, around 30 minutes. Add spinach, cook another 15 minutes. Season to taste.
Puree with immersion blender. (I have made it with out blending it the zuchinni and potatoes are chunky)

Cau[b]liflower soup[/b]Saute about 1 tablespoon flour in oil until it's brown and also a few cloves of garlic (optional).
Add water. Once it is hot and cooking add a few teaspoons or tablespoons consomme (chicken soup flavor) depending on the size of your pot or soup. Then add frozen cauliflower. I usually add at least half a pack but again that depends on the size of your soup. I also sometimes will add frozen peas. Cook for about half an hour and a yummy soup aroma should be filling your house.
To make sure you added the right amount of consomme you should taste the soup while still cooking. Be careful!!!. Rather put in less than more as you can always add more if needed (while cooking).

Cream of Broccoli soup

1/2 stick margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 (1/4 oz.) can chicken broth
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli
2 c. milk (or coffee rich, if you want to make it pareve)

Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sautee about 10 min. Blend in flour (stir in very slowly/ gradually), salt and pepper; stir constantly, about 2 min. Gradually add broth, stirring, and bring to boil. Add the broccoli; cover and simmer until broccoli is tender. Puree in batches in blender until very creamy and broccoli is totally pureed. (Don't be tempted to puree for too short. The soup will not be creamy if you don't do it for long enough!) Return to saucepan/pot, add milk (coffee rich) and simmer. (You want to let soup absorb milk and get the flavor.) Serves 4.

Cabbage Soup Recipe
6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
3 Carrots
1 Container (10 oz. or so) Mushrooms
1 bunch of celery
half a head of cabbage
1 package Lipton soup mix
1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.
Directions:
Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray.
Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.
Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.
If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.
You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.
Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bean soup
pack of navy beans
turkey drumstick
carrots

Vegetable soup
String beans
Barley
Lima beans
Sweet potato
Parsnip
Celery
Carrots
Zucchini (optional)
Mushrooms (optional)
Grean peas
Chicken wings
Soup greens

(I use 2 or 3 packages of soup mixed, minestrone soup, barley, split pea etc for the barley and lima Beans)

Bring to boil, strip off fat 2 hours until soft

Navy bean soup
navy beans
parsley
and spices

the turkey drumstick adds a delicious taste

15 bean soup

Package of 15 bean soup
Soak beans overnight or 8 hours

Onion chopped
1 15 oz can of stewed or diced tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder (opt)
Juices of 1 lemon (can use lemon juice)
1-2 Cloves garlic minced

Seasoning

Put bean in pot with 2 quart of water
Bring beans to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 ½ hours
Add onion, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon and garlic- simmer another 30 minutes
( I have added tomatoes, onions etc after 30 minutes different taste)
Serves 14-16

Split pea soup
1 package green or yellow split peas
3 quarts of water
1 large onion finely chopped
2 chicken bouillon cubes
½ tsp garlic
½ tsp oregano
¼- ½ tsp pepper
1 bay leaf (opt)
1 ½ cup carrots thinely sliced
1 cup celery thinely sliced
If making this for meat add 2 chicken legs (I have always made it dairy)

Combine all ingredients in large deep pot, simmer uncovered 2-3 hours
6 servings

Sweet Potato Soupcut some onions (2 reg size) let saute at bottom of the pot
cut up a bunch of sweet potatoes -for like a 6 qt. pot I use like 4-5 big ones
cut up about 2 potatoes
put in the pot, fill with water till vegies are all covered
add spices: salt, pepper, a teeny bit of chicken soup mix, basil, dill and parsley
bring to a boil and then let simmer until vegies are soft.

You can blend it all then, but you dont have to

elmos

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 2:00 pm
cauliflower soup I saute fresh onions, garlic and scallions than add frozen cauli cover with water season with salt & pepper it says to blend you can just cook and smash a little with spoon.

I do a split pea veg I take onion, carrot, zuch, parsnip turnip , cauli, broccoli, butter nut squash, dry peas lima beans really any veg you have

zuchini potato soup but that has carbs

meatball veg soup
minestrone soup
cabbage soup
if you want any of theese recipes let me know
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics