Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Tomatoes...LOTS of tomatoes

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 2:26 pm
What can I do with them before they go bad?

I've thought of:

matbucha - have too many containers in the freezer Tongue Out
tomato soup
salsa
salad

Any suggestions are much appreciated! I'm blanking out over here...

CK2

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 2:46 pm
Tomato Dip - http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....mid=2

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 3:06 pm
some more ideas
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....omato

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 3:20 pm
Just so you know, peeling them is a lot easier than I thought, you can google it. From there you can go onto many things. Sauce is a great option because it'll freeze well.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 3:23 pm
Minestrone soup - uses lots of tomatoes, nutritious and yummy! Add extra tomatoes.

grin

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 3:34 pm
if you have room in your freezer, you can freeze them whole until you want to use them. They'll be easy to peel then, too.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 3:56 pm
Thanks so much for all your ideas everyone!

CK2, I make that dip almost every week and it's sooo good! Unfortunately, it doesn't freeze well though, so I make it fresh. This time, I need recipes that could also freeze well if needed.

grin, how does it work with freezing whole tomatoes? Have you done it before? Can they be cut after they defrost? Also, they probably can only be used for cooking, right?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 8:39 pm
Candied tomatoes!! It's a favorite around here. Cut them in half, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Bake on 500(!!) for approximately 2 hours (depends on your oven) until it's slightly black around the edges. It's delicious.

ttbtbm

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:01 pm
You can freeze them whole. I put one whole tomato in my chicken soup (we don't eat it) every week, so when my tomatoes get soft, I put them in the freezer. If you are making rice you can chop a few tomatoes and saute with some onions and oil for a looong time on a low flame. Then add rice, water and salt and cook like you would plain rice.

We love liced tomatoes, avacado, muenster cheese and a bit of dressing - toasted on a roll. So tomatoes by us usually go fast.

grin

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:28 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
grin, how does it work with freezing whole tomatoes? Have you done it before? Can they be cut after they defrost? Also, they probably can only be used for cooking, right?
I do it all the time with my tomatoes that are starting to get mushy - yes, they can only be used for cooking afterwards. I cut them up while they're semi-defrosted and still somewhat hard.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 3:01 am
Waaay cool, grin. I'm gonna try this with at least half.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics