Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sister Wives - the show
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 5:07 pm
Is anyone here watching this show? If so, I would LOVE to talk Very Happy

It is such an interesting show and now so very sad Crying I really feel for them Crying

ETA: wait, was this the finale?????

gold21

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 5:12 pm
I dont watch the show (I dont even have a TV) but ive seen clips of it.
let me see what I remember, theres someone named Meri, the first wife, who has one daughter, and theres Robyn, the newest wife, who has 3 kids from a previous relationship, and 2 other wives. The guy is Cody. They claim theyre super happy in their plural marriage. Weird.
What sad thing happened to them?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 5:27 pm
I think I'm the one that recommended the show to you. Glad that you are enjoying!

This season has been very sad...definitely makes you wonder why the lifestyle that these people are leading is against the law and yet in the US so many people have affairs and all kinds of "alternative" lifetyles.

There is one more episode left in this season. They are moving to Las Vegas. I still am confused as to why they davka chose Nevada?

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 5:36 pm
I've seen it.

I think its really interesting.

Yocheved84

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 6:22 pm
Ok. My issues with the show (which doesn't stop me from watching!!)

- I can't **stand** the husband! I think he is super arrogant and the wives are beholden to him. I was SO upset that his daughter wanted to go to the prom a week after their move and he forbade it. Like, she couldn't stay with family friends for a week so she could go to her religious school dance?

- Maybe it's just me, but I thought men had a "type." All four wives look so different. It's not an issue w/ the show, but it got me thinking.

- His hair and gait get to me.

- The show, as my husband pointed out, appears to be one big interview conducted at the end of a few days of filming outside shots.

Sorry, I just miss "Big Love." LOL

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:17 pm
I saw them once on Oprah. Why is this season sad?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:30 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I saw them once on Oprah. Why is this season sad?
Because they went public with being polygamists, they were investigated by the police and they decided that instead of maybe having their family torn apart, if they were found guilty of whatever it was that the police thought they were guilty of, they decided to up and leave where they lived and move states. They gave their children 3 day notice. It was so sad to watch it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:31 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Ok. My issues with the show (which doesn't stop me from watching!!)

- I can't **stand** the husband! I think he is super arrogant and the wives are beholden to him. I was SO upset that his daughter wanted to go to the prom a week after their move and he forbade it. Like, she couldn't stay with family friends for a week so she could go to her religious school dance?

- Maybe it's just me, but I thought men had a "type." All four wives look so different. It's not an issue w/ the show, but it got me thinking.

- His hair and gait get to me.

- The show, as my husband pointed out, appears to be one big interview conducted at the end of a few days of filming outside shots.

Sorry, I just miss "Big Love." LOL
I think the whole thing was that the kids could not tell anyone that they were leaving because the adults were afraid that someone would squeal to the police and then the whole move would be for naught.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:32 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
I think I'm the one that recommended the show to you. Glad that you are enjoying!

This season has been very sad...definitely makes you wonder why the lifestyle that these people are leading is against the law and yet in the US so many people have affairs and all kinds of "alternative" lifetyles.

There is one more episode left in this season. They are moving to Las Vegas. I still am confused as to why they davka chose Nevada?
I also wondered about why davka nevada. I would have thought that they would move some place where there was a church or a community or them to be a part of. Very sad.
So, there is one show left, to the series? or just this season?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 2:20 pm
Bump
Is anyone still watching the show? I just happened on it again and realized that the show was in fact not over but the season ended and now I have quite a few shows to catch up on.
I dont know what about the show draws me in, but I enjoy watching it.

ElTam

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 2:44 pm
I don't watch the show (no TV), but I read an interesting book by a family that practices plural marriage. It's called Love Times Three. Polygamy happens to be illegal in this country, but it is very common around the world. And many of these people who do it now in the United States come from families practiced it when it was still legal in this country. They seem very deeply led by their faith. It's not something I would choose even if it were legal and permitted by halacha, but as a religious person, part of me is uncomfortable when part of someone's faith practice is outlawed. (Of course, I'm not defending these cult people like Warren Jeffs who marry underage girls, etc. or something where force or violence is used.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 2:51 pm
ElTam wrote:
I don't watch the show (no TV), but I read an interesting book by a family that practices plural marriage. It's called Love Times Three. Polygamy happens to be illegal in this country, but it is very common around the world. And many of these people who do it now in the United States come from families practiced it when it was still legal in this country. They seem very deeply led by their faith. It's not something I would choose even if it were legal and permitted by halacha, but as a religious person, part of me is uncomfortable when part of someone's faith practice is outlawed. (Of course, I'm not defending these cult people like Warren Jeffs who marry underage girls, etc. or something where force or violence is used.)
Um, ok. Thanks for sharing???

ElTam

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:08 pm
Sorry, I thought the topic was interesting and gave my .02 cents. I apologize if I posted something inappropriate.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:10 pm
ElTam wrote:
Sorry, I thought the topic was interesting and gave my .02 cents. I apologize if I posted something inappropriate.
Not at all Smile
I just really bumped the topic to know if others were watching the actual show.

I totally hear you.

Lani22

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 3:12 pm
ElTam wrote:

thanks for sharing. this books sounds very interesting, im always looking for a good read! ( I am also facinated by this lifestyle so love reading about it)

I am also still watching Sister Wives. I find Cody to be unbearably egocentric and fake and the wives to be so sincere and real - I just do not get it!

Lalu

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 6:11 pm
I am also fascinated by 'Sister Wives' and try to watch it whenever I can. I agree with you all regarding Cody - he does seem very arrogant.

Did anyone have the chance to see it last week - when the wives were going to start the new exercise plan? I missed it and would love to know what you thought - Smile

simchat

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 7:55 pm
I don`t follow the show, but watch it here and there when I`m looking for something to watch and see it`s on. I actually find it interesting how the family works and I agree that it was sad when they had to move, but the worst is the fact that they live far from each other instead of one big house divided into appartments. Although I don`t like cody (like others, I find him to have a bit too much of a big ego and somewhat patronising), I think it`s awful that he has to so carefully divide his time between the families and each wife, but in particular, his kids, get to see him only once or twice a week.
Btw, haven`t watched it in a while - has Robin given birth yet, or am I waaaay behind? LOL

bluebird

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 10:53 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
I also wondered about why davka nevada. I would have thought that they would move some place where there was a church or a community or them to be a part of. Very sad.

There is actually a large population of Mormons in Nevada, including in Las Vegas. There were a lot of Mormon colonies there in the 1800's. I believe there are pockets of polygamists even though it's grounds for excommunication from the mainline church.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 10:01 am
bluebird wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

There is actually a large population of Mormons in Nevada, including in Las Vegas. There were a lot of Mormon colonies there in the 1800's. I believe there are pockets of polygamists even though it's grounds for excommunication from the mainline church.

If you watch this season though, one thing you see is that they don't really have any sort of "community" in Las Vegas and don't even have a church to go to.

But yes, Robin had a baby boy last week! They named him Solomon.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 4:15 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
bluebird wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

If you watch this season though, one thing you see is that they don't really have any sort of "community" in Las Vegas and don't even have a church to go to.

But yes, Robin had a baby boy last week! They named him Solomon.
HUH? I am watching it on line and they only just announced that she was pregnant. Wow and now she had a baby. That was fast Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics