Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Spinoff of "am I an old bag?"

amother

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 7:01 am
Talking about constipation and proper nutrition. One poster mentioned that "poor" families breakfast will be white bread, white cheese and some cut up veggies.

Now, we are not poor, I do serve this to my children, and I thought that it was quite alright. In general, I will serve whole wheat bread, but with white cheese and veggies. Why is this no good? WHAT should I serve? cheerios and milk? (I do..) Is eggs better, why?

Which starches are good sources of nutrition? Ussually I serve, ww bread, whole grain cereal/cheerios, rice, pasta or potatoes. Are any better than the other? HOw do I learn more about this? I really want to serve my little children healthy food.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 7:11 am
FS's point was that poor people don't have a choice. And I think she was exaggerating with the white cheese, which is expensive. I've seen a lot more margarine in poor homes than white cheese. And lowly standard bread, not the special loaves.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 7:19 am
Thank G-d, poor we are not. But I do want to feel my children food that "packs a punch" nutrition wise. I thought I was...but obviously not.

What should I be doing differently?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 7:27 am
Whole wheat bread (not the sliced industrial "whole wheat" which is full of chemicals to make it last longer) and vegetables are fabulous, if your kids eat that. The jury is out on gvina levana: Israelis think it's very healthy but read the ingredients.... It's very hard to feed very healthy food these days, without supervising the food from source to table. Don't beat yourself up.
A good breakfast is anything you make for your children, that isn't loaded with sugar, artificial ingredients, preservatives etc. Oatmeal is a great choice.

Liba

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 7:29 am
I wish my kids would stop and wash and eat a good breakfast like that!

If you could substitute cottage cheese for the gvina levana you could get a bit more protein in.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 2:35 pm
I'm with you on cooked oats or rice or wheat grains, very healthy. Daisa. Let's hear it for Daisa! Add a fruit or two, not veggies which you should eat for lunch except tomatoes which are like fruit and you can have them for breakfast.

No lechem achid please...really unhealthy. If you can afford whole grain or organic adama or harduf, go for it. Tasty, delicious and healthy.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:03 am
why are veggies only for the afternoon and not for breakfast?
Thanks freidasima - I gave my kids a fruit for breakfast today, with their eggs and bread, what a combination - but they ate it!
I buy regular Berman or Angel whole wheat bread, is that good or garbage? I don't even know about the other stuff you mentioned. My kids don't like oatmeal, oh well... What's daisa, farina?

Also, I heard it's bad to microwave food,( I do that all the time) why is it so bad?

elaela

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:14 am
I find musli a great breakfast. it is quick, relatively cheap and yummy. I dont buy musli mixes (which here cost a fortune), rather roast oats add a banana or berries or just plain yoghurt and a spoon of honey. it really fills you up tastes good and is healthy (as far as I know). I make 2 portions every morning and serve them with cold camomille tea- I pay 60 cents per portion.
in the winter I cook porredge and add a bit of cinamon.
semolina with fresh fruit could also be an option.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:25 am
Daisa is farina.
There are those who claim that microwaving destroys most of the nutrients of food and especially fruits and veg. Therefore I use it very sparingly to defrost a piece of bread for 20 second or less at the most.
Fruit is better in the morning because you need a lot of acid in your stomach to properly digest fruit and after the night when the stomach is empty it is most acidic. Less as the day goes by and you eat and have food and water in that stomach diluting the acid. Fruit also has much more sugar than vegetables usually and better to have it in the morning.
We are talking raw fruit. Cooked fruit is different and that's why Jews eat "compote" after meals at night. The sugar isn't great but as it is cooked you don't need so much acid to digest it property.

You can basically have raw veggies for breakfast as well but their big pitch is that they contain a lot of water and therefore better have them with your lunch. At night don't eat raw anything - fruit or veg, but rather cooked as you will be going to sleep, will have less acid naturally in your stomach and you want to fully digest your food.

I prefer organic bread, harduf and adama are organic. Berman and Angel only use a small percentage of whole grains in their whole grain bread, the rest is white.

You can also give eggs for breakfast or buckwheat home made pancakes. Takes two minutes to make the batter and two minutes to cook and worth the effort. Serve with fruit and/or cheese.

You can make a rollup with a pancake while hot roll up a small piece of yellow cheese in it, put it in wax paper or whatever that doesn't stick and give your kids to take with them to school and eat later as a snack. It's good cold because the cheese has melted all over. You can also use only a tiny amount of yellow cheese and the lowest fat so that it gives calcium but doesn't have the high fat content .

abound

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 7:08 am
FS can you please post the buckwheat pancake recipe, it sounds interesting.
TIA

Basic Breakfeast around here:
Is Egg, fruit, yogurt.
The kids usually take some cereal but I try to make something so they have the choice.

Inspired

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 7:38 am
How can Berman and Angel lie in their ingredients list? Why does their grain bread taste like whole grains, unlike the brown bread/ jabettas you get in restaurants which ARE white bread with carmel color

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:25 am
They can't be bread with 100% whole wheat otherwise it would be dense and thick like pumpernickel. Therefore when the non organic bakeries write "whole wheat" it isn't 100% whole wheat otherwise it is very very dense as Angel and Berman and other such breads are not.

No one said that Angel and Berman is white flour with carmel color. I said it is a mix of white flour and whole wheat. Only the organic bakeries like Adama and Harduf make a 100% whole wheat and that is mixed with other grains as well, but not white flour.

Buckwheat pancakes, non dairy version.

1 cup buckwheat flour (in Hebrew "kemach kusemet" NOT "kemach kusmin")
water
1 egg
a tablespoon of honey or molasses or for those who use sugar, some type of sugar.
a teaspoon of baking power.

Mix until you reach a semi liquid pouring consistency. If you want it thicker use soy milk, if you want it milchig use regular milk.

Grease a frying pan or use a drop of pam on a teflon pan or a ceramic pan and pour in to cover the bottom, cook until it stops bubbling and looks dry, flip over and keep frying for another minute until both sides are done. Flip out of pan, grease again and put in more.

abound

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:39 am
Thanks for the recipe, I would like to try it this week.

Inspired

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:02 pm
freidasima wrote:
They can't be bread with 100% whole wheat otherwise it would be dense and thick like pumpernickel. Therefore when the non organic bakeries write "whole wheat" it isn't 100% whole wheat otherwise it is very very dense as Angel and Berman and other such breads are not.

No one said that Angel and Berman is white flour with carmel color. I said it is a mix of white flour and whole wheat. Only the organic bakeries like Adama and Harduf make a 100% whole wheat and that is mixed with other grains as well, but not white flour.

I make delicious whole grain bread all the time that is not very dense. Berman wholegrain bread does not have any white flour in the ingredients. So you are saying they are LYING? It tastes like whole grain, feels like wholgrain, looks like wholegrain. What in the world are you talking about?

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:15 pm
I am telling you what you can hear if you call them or Angel up. There is no 100% whole wheat bread made in the general factories. The only concession is that they may not be using bleached flour for the other part but it's not 100% whole wheat.

It's not a question of "lying". Like in the united states you can write 100% natural but if it doesn't have the organic organizations stamps on it, 100% natural means 98% natural as American law states that you can have 2% "psolet" and that doesn't count nor does it have to be listed in the ingredients. That BTW is a problem for kashrus in America in certain processed foods. It can have 2% treif which means it is NOT botel bishishim. This has gone on for a long time already. Israeli law is similar in that you can say 100% but it isn't 100%, it all depends on what is written. The 100% whole wheat means that the whole wheat in it is 100% whole wheat! (as if it would be something else). Yes there is deceptive packaging here in this country...boker tov...you didn't know that until now?

To be 100% whole wheat and absolutely nothing else the label has to state "100% whole grain with the exclusion of any other kinds of grain".
Which, you will only find on wrappers of the organic bread companies...and not even on all their bread because they also produce mixed breads, only it isn't mixed with white flour but with other types of flours that are both organic and whole. Just not wheat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen