Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Recommend a charity for sick babies?

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 6:50 pm
For ds's bday party, we were hoping to raise a little money for charity, and would like it to go to an organization who pay for treatments to babies who are ill. Can anyone recommend one? Jewish and not Jewish.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 6:59 pm
What about the Efrat organization (in Israel), they save the lives of babies that otherwise would have been aborted by their moms (mostly for economic reasons, so they provide the very basics needed to bring another baby into klal yisrael and prevent the moms from aborting).

http://www.friendsofefrat.org/

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:04 pm
Any regional children's hospital is a good cause, and Shriners' Hospitals are also wonderful.

Most children's hospitals incur enormous expenses providing care for uninsured children. BTW, they also incur huge legal bills suing insurance companies to be paid!

Shriners' Hospitals offer free treatment for a variety of orthopedic issues, burns, and reconstructive surgery. People are often unaware of the fact, but many insurance plans do not cover reconstructive surgery relating to burns, accidents, and birth defects. Shriners' works hard to fill this gap, and they never charge for their services.

The idea of raising money is a great one! A number of years ago, it was popular to make pillowcases or stuffed animals for local children's charities, and though the thought is lovely, most hospitals are overrun with the stuff.

I remember a nursing supervisor begging me to take home 20-30 stuffed animals that were taking up room needed for medical supplies. They had given every child in the ward 2 animals already and had a supply to last for 2-3 months. She desperate for any takers, and she thought maybe I could drop them off to a Jewish pre-school or something similar. They were beautiful toys, and it didn't seem right to simply throw them away!

PS: I declined the animals. Just so you don't think my commitment to hachnoses orchim extends to the plushie community!

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:53 pm
Those are both really good suggestions. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I already announced we'd be donating to "poor and sick babies."

Inspired

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:58 pm
http://www.alyn.org/

sped

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 8:08 pm
Ezer Mizion

www.ezermizion.org

Lakewood

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 8:54 pm
What about Bonei Olam to help someone else that was not blessed with a child?

SunshineWoman

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:28 pm
March of Dimes, which is secular. There mission is to prevent birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality.

jflower

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:53 pm
chai lifeline

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:56 pm
Thanks for more great replies. I was thinking of donating to ATime or Bonei Olam. But a relative had a hard time having a baby, and I didn't want her to think I was pointing her out in a way...

Wasn't there an ad on imamother for feeding hungry babies in Israel or something..? Anyone recall?

Anyone know of any more baby-specific charities? (DS is 1 year old.)

iluvy

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:58 pm
Yad Eliezer: Feed-a-Baby

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 1:59 pm
I second yad Eliezer & Ezer mitsion. Both exceptional chesed organizations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics