Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken soup in fridge since last tues. Can I use it???
1  2  Next

punchike

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 7:50 pm
Please advise. Thank you!!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 7:56 pm
I would not.

jeweled

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 8:02 pm
Nope.

yummy2

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 8:22 pm
N O

amother

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 8:56 pm
Why cant she still use the soup?

I sometimes have leftover chicken soup from shabbos and save it in the fridge for the following shabbos. Been doing this for years and no ones gotten sick yet

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 9:18 pm
I wouldn't. Like my home economics teacher used to say " when in doubt, throw it out..."

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 9:27 pm
Chicken soup starts to go after 4 days (the most in can usually go is 5) in the fridge.

Amother, chicken soup from Shabbos to Shabbos might work for you, but the general rule is that it's sour a week later. I can attest to that.

Listen, other soups can last longer than a week in the fridge. NOT chicken soup.

You can taste it if you want to test your soup out OP. But I wouldn't serve it.

Depressed

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 9:30 pm
Unless your fridge freezes most things like mine, I hope you arent that poor...

grace413

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 9:33 pm
I leave chicken soup in the fridge for up to a week at a time and it has never gone bad.

energy11

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 11:32 pm
I never keep anything cooked in my fridge and re-serve it a week later. I recommend you throw away that soup!
I prefer to freeze my leftover chicken soup right after Shabbos and then have it ready for another week! Tongue Out

mizle10

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 1:42 am
I wouldn't

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 9:54 am
FYI, I have heard that carrots in the soup make it spoil quicker. For those of you whose soup lasts from week to week, do you use lots of carrots?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 2:50 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
FYI, I have heard that carrots in the soup make it spoil quicker. For those of you whose soup lasts from week to week, do you use lots of carrots?

I am the amother who leaves soup in fridge from one shabbos to the next.

I put very little vegetables in my soup. I put in onions and a small amount of carrots.

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:16 pm
You want to get salmonella, e-coli, or bubonic plague? YEUCH!!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:18 pm
Amother why not freeze it instead? That way there is no waste, and also less risk.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:19 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Amother why not freeze it instead? That way there is no waste, and also less risk.

If I freeze the soup, I cant serve the vegetables

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:21 pm
When I leave my chicken soup in the fridge from Shabbos, it usually smells by Thursday. I would def not use chicken soup from last Tuesday!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

If you put in very little veggies anyway, it's not a big deal to make sure those get eaten the first week, and then put in a few fresh ones the nex week. I think it's preferable than the gamble Smile

Your family is hopefully healthy, but what happens if you have a guest with compromised immunity for whatever reason? Either way, I say better safe than sorry.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:42 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

If you put in very little veggies anyway, it's not a big deal to make sure those get eaten the first week, and then put in a few fresh ones the nex week. I think it's preferable than the gamble Smile

Your family is hopefully healthy, but what happens if you have a guest with compromised immunity for whatever reason? Either way, I say better safe than sorry.

How do I add new vegetables to an old soup? Do I have to cook them first?

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 5:02 pm
Personally, leftover chicken soup is the one thing I have absolutely no problem tossing - after all, once the vegetables are eaten, it's really just water (I use chicken carcass, so there's no real chicken being thrown out if the kids don't eat it all). I serve chicken soup Friday night, Friday afternoon if Shabbos is late, or Motzei Shabbos if it finishes early, and either Sunday or Monday night with pasta. After 3 meals for a bit of veg, bone, and water, I say it's done it's duty, and yes, mine also starts to smell sour and get a whitish film over the top by Thursday, definitely Friday.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen