Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Which novels should I buy for Pesach?
1  2  Next

climbing613

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 8:14 pm
I go for the thicker the better since I'm a fast reader, but not where it shleps for no reason. I appreciate quality writing and like when the characters are well developed. Looking for novels. So.. What do u recommend?

September June

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 8:18 pm
This is America by Henye Meyer

I cannot reccomend any other recent releases that I have read (and I have read quite a few).

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 8:58 pm
I just finished reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult, seriously one of the most amazing books ever written! I could not put the book down

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:04 pm
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

bananasplit

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:06 pm
Jodi piccoult came out with a new book, lone wollf.I havent read it yet but most of her books are really good.

La La in L.A.

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:14 pm
I have to second _This is America_, the new novelization of the HaModia serial by Henye Meyer. I followed the serial and it was the best one I've ever read.

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 11:22 pm
Did you read Nachman Seltzer's book (not the new one). I really enjoyed it.

TzipG

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:10 am
sequoia wrote:

I like Sophie Kinsella's other books - light, funny... but I could not get through this one.

I just read two of Khaled Husseini's books about life in Afghanistan - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Amazing books - some disturbing parts, but very well-written and quite riveting.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:30 am
Exodus Wink

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:33 am
TzipG wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I like Sophie Kinsella's other books - light, funny... but I could not get through this one.

I just read two of Khaled Husseini's books about life in Afghanistan - The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Amazing books - some disturbing parts, but very well-written and quite riveting.

Really? On the contrary it was my favorite one.

"Can You Keep a Secret" was kind of gross, and the shopaholic series didn't interest me by definition.

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 8:34 am
TzipG wrote:
sequoia wrote:

The Kite Runner was amazing, I agree!

EmesOrNT

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 10:21 am
IloveHashem613 wrote:
TzipG wrote:
sequoia wrote:

The Kite Runner was amazing, I agree!

Loved The Kite Runner. Also, loved house of Rules. Written really well.

OP didn't mention if her preference was jewish or secular.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 10:30 am
The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It is a bit graphic at times, but over is a wonderful read. There are 7 books, all 800+ pages. I have read them each multiple times, it is so addictive.

I just started reading this week the "Hunger Games" series. Finished the 1st book in one day and now am on the 2nd. It isnt as long as some other books, but certainly a page turner

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 4:13 pm
The Madonna's of Leningrad
and
City of Thieves

BOTH were absolutely incredible. Read them both in one Shabbos, didn't sleep much though...

Factory Girl

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 7:52 pm
if you have not yet read "the hunger games" trilogy I HIGHLY recommend it, it is FAB!!!!
the help
the 13th tale
the history of love
(it is sad though)

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 8:06 pm
The last book I loved is Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's interspersed with eerie vintage photos that tie into the story. Very well done but it's in the fantasy/sci-fi category and I don't know if you're into that.

spring13

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 9:43 pm
The Other Boleyn Girl (followed by The Boleyn Inheritance) by Philippa Gregory is really good. I also recommend
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen,
Honolulu by Allan Brennert,
The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 11:38 am
I took my two oldest and saw the Hunger Games Thursday at 12:30 it was AMAAAAZING!!!
Ten theaters all sold out showing the same film--people dressed in costume (not us apparently we arent that cool) the film was outstanding!!
GO SEE IT!

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 11:41 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I took my two oldest and saw the Hunger Games Thursday at 12:30 it was AMAAAAZING!!!
Ten theaters all sold out showing the same film--people dressed in costume (not us apparently we arent that cool) the film was outstanding!!
GO SEE IT!

I'm dying to see it! I haven't read the book, but the trailers look soooo good! Problem is, my husband is so not into that genre. Anyone here wanna go with me?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 11:53 am
we ordered tickets last month, I'm so grateful my kids love me enough to invite me to join them on their escapades.

It was crazy going to bed at 3:30 AM and then off to school/work several hours later.

The first 45 minutes were riveting edge of your seats. It was so REALISTIC and so TRUE to the book.

NOT gory
NO nudity

This film grossed 200 million in pre sold tickets already!!

RUN AND SEE THE HUNGER GAMES!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room