Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What's a normal diet for a 16 month old?

crystal

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:19 am
My baby still gets most of his food and nutrition from baby formula bottles. He can eat everything but rarely wants anything besides fruits and avocado sandwich, sometimes chicken soup. I'm worried that he's not getting enough food- what do you think?

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 12:49 pm
Ask your doctor so you'll feel comfortable with these changes BUT a 16-month-old should be getting very little of his/her nutrition from a bottle. At that age, most eat "regular" table food. EX: dd used to have fruit and cereal for breakfast or cereal and 1/2 carton of yogurt. She liked to eat cold cereal with her hands. She had 2 lunches (before and after nap)--one might be cheese cut into cubes so she could pick them up along with crackers or grilled cheese sandwich or mac and cheese. The other (and her dinner) might be whatever we had left from the night before--small pieces of boneless chicken without the skin with rice or mashed potato or spaghetti. She loved Chinese and Indian food and I liked to cook both so she ate both. She loved fruit but not veggies so I often pureed steamed veggies into her food if I wasn't serving a dish that had veggies in a sauce. Sometimes I steamed carrrots (for ex) and put butter and cinnamon.

I was surprised at everything my daughter asked to try. I let her try anything that was safe. Don't introduce more than 1 new food every food days to watch for allergies. Mine was allergic to cooked eggs (not eggs cooked in other food) and strawberries--both common and both outgrown.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 12:55 pm
my son is 16 months he drinks only apple juice bottles and eats regular tablefood but no bread so I give him cottage cheese, avacado, eggs, chicken he is to the skinny side but as long as I know he gets proper nutrition my dr. told me not to worry..

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:09 pm
At around that age, my ped said my ds should be getting 20-24 oz of milk, yogurt or cheese a day. Otherwise, he should be having a few servings of whole grains, some form of protein, and a couple servings each of fruits and veg every day. My guess is that the formula fills him up and he doesn't get hungry for more nutritious food. Why is he still getting formula? Ask your ped, but I would recommend transitioning to whole milk, and giving mostly table foods, according to his nutritional needs.

crystal

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:44 pm
Thanks for your replies! I forgot to mention that he's allergic to milk--- he's on neocate.
He noshes on real food but when he's starving or tired he only wants a bottle.
I guess I will talk to his dr.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics