Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Flat Top Oven

dina

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 1:58 pm
I would like to buy an oven with a flat/glass top...does anyone know if it's a problem putting a blech on top?

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:02 pm
I don't know about a blech. But I believe it can be a problem to kasher, not 100% sure on that though.... you may want to check!

dina

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:11 pm
do you mean kasher for pesach? Because anyways I have a pesach oven...

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:14 pm
Or for milchig, fleishig, not everyone has two ranges!

roza

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:36 pm
I have one. u can't kasher it. and I have another stove for pesach. but I like the stove.
also you can't put blech on it bec. the glass will crack.
I use crock pot for cholent.
to keep food warm for fri night - I have pots that keep food hot/warm for few hours, just enough for friday night.

to add- I use the glass stove for fleshig only.

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:09 pm
I have a flat-glass-top stove and I hate it. It takes forever to heat up and forever to cool down. If you're melting sugar and it spills on the stove, it'll never come out. Our Rov said we can't kasher the stove but we can use it anyhow, because the heat that it generates means the pots don't become treif. However, if anything spills on the stove while it's in use, it has to be thrown out. Even a $15 steak. Sad I use my stove for both milchig and fleishig because I only have one stove.

You can't use a blech because as Roza says it'll crack the stovetop. I use a plata. You also can't leave it on over Yom Tov, so you have to cook everything in advance and warm it up on the plata.

imaamy

Post Fri, Mar 25 2005, 9:00 am
Sarahd is right about it not cooling down. I used to have one and after I'd boil water, I'd have to hold the pot a few inches above the cooktop so that it wouldn't boil over. I would turn it down but it stays really hot for several minutes. They look nice at first but even with the special cleaner mine always looked scratched and dull. I wouldn't have another one if it was free!

queenie

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 8:25 pm
I have a flat top stove too and I love it. It is a bit harder to clean when something spills but it generally looks cleaner than my old electric. There are different types of flat tops. Some are glass and others are ceramic glass. There are not exactly the same thing. A blech is dangerous bc no air gets in and it gets too hot. I have a hot plate I use on a timer for Shabbat to warm up food. I put in on the cold flat top and plug it in with a timer. Honestly, I have used it once. I used my hot plate more when I had an electric stove.

I use the cream that you can buy at Home depot to clean the top and even vim. Even burned on tomato sauce or sugar comes of if you let the cream become absorbed. You don't have to worry about spills leaking under elements or crumbs either. But, you can't use it for pesach because glass (which most Ravs usually discourage you to kasher but is allowed to be done on pesach) has to be soaked in soapy water for 72 hours and the water must be changed every 24 hours. How do you do that to a stove top?

queenie

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 8:28 pm
About using a flat top for both milchig and fleishig it can be allowed but it is difficult. I spoke to a Rav at the COR about it and he said if it is a glass top that can get red hot it is possible but other surfaces of the stove top need to be covered. I am talking about during the year not pesach.

I have a separate burnen for milk.

lucy

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 4:11 pm
I have a glass/ceramic top and I love it. Whiz to clean, though I don't find it takes long to warmup or cool down.

You will ruin you top if you use a blech.

Like Queeni I have a seperate burner for milchigs & a mini countertop oven for milchig as well. Excellent can even bake in it!

queenie

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 4:22 pm
The owners manual for my stove top says not to ever totally cover the elements (even a half blech) bc it will get too hot and crack.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen