Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Regular Rabbanut Yerushalayim vs Rabbanut Yerushalayim Mehad
1  2  Next

cbt

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 12:51 am
What's the difference between the two? For example, if I eat OU, OK, Chaf K.. in America which do I eat, regular or Mehadrin? I've been getting confusing answers from Rabbi's, can anyone else explain?
Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:00 am
If you are MO, you probably will accept regular Rabbanut.
If you are Haredi, you might not even accept Rabbanut Mehadrin Yerushalayim....

If you are in the middle, you need decide, or find the right Rabbi to ask....it's different if you ask a Rav in the US, since he doesn't live here, he is likely to tell you to keep only mehadrin...

We are makpid about glatt meat, so if the restaurant is using glatt meat, we are okay with the regular... for dairy, we are okay with Rabbanut... (and during shmitta we are more machmir than average too, which can nix some regular rabbanut places...)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:07 am
Please ask a rav and do not pasken from the Internet. Kashrus in Israel is very different than in America. You have to take trumos and ma'asros into account. No one can tell you what to eat based on what you eat in America.
(I eat all the American hechshers you mentioned, but I do not eat Rabbanut or Rabbanut Mehadrin.)

mizle10

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:12 am
Rabbanut mehadrin is better than plain rabbanut.
You should really ask you're rav, it's not something anyone else can tell you.
We're makpid not to eat either.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
Please ask a rav and do not pasken from the Internet. Kashrus in Israel is very different than in America. You have to take trumos and ma'asros into account. No one can tell you what to eat based on what you eat in America.
(I eat all the American hechshers you mentioned, but I do not eat Rabbanut or Rabbanut Mehadrin.)

Not just trumos u'maasros, but challa midoraysa, orla, chadash, and food which often needs to be checked better.

If you don't have a rav here to ask, only one in America, you should ask the American rav to recommend you someone local to ask, rather than asking him directly what you can eat.

You should also be aware that in the last few years it is generally accepted that the level of Yerushalayim Mehadrin (I don't know about regular rabbanut Yerushalayim, maybe also) has dropped (due to changes in rabbonim), so any information/psak should be up to date and not what someone did five years ago.

I have asked in a few places that I ended up being at conferences anyway which are Yerushalayim mehadrin, and the meat/chicken is not of the hechsherim people who eat bedatz in EY generally rely on.

shabri

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:15 am
Yeah you have to ask your own rav. We eat all of those hechsherim in the US (we are not even makpid for chalav yisrael) But here we don't eat rabanut yerushalaim or mehadrin or even ou Israel (apparently its different from its American counterpart

Inspired

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:37 am
In addition to the above you should be aware that when you eat "rabbanut yerushalayim " you may be eating from any and every rabbanut in the country because a rabbanut hechshered restaurant uses products with a rabbanut hechsher from anywhere. If you are fine with that, fine, just be aware of what that means.

Dev80

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 12:09 pm
As an American Kollel couple living in e"y and we consider ourselves in the "chareidi" camp, we don't eat rabanut, and don't eat rabanut mahadrin for meat, but we do eat it for dairy. Restaurants like rimon in mamilla and ben yehuda, and beit ticho are rabanut mahadrin. But, we have fellow chareidi American in kollel relatives that wouldn't even eat rabanut mahadrin for dairy...so basically, find a posek in Israel to ask. I'm not sure if Rabbanim in America get all the intricacies with Israeli Kashrus

cbt

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 12:20 pm
op here, thanks for the info- I'm gonna try to find a rav here that I can rely on and can really explain the ins and out's to me!

ffbmom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:48 am
So, our Rav is out of town and maybe you're right. He wouldn't know anyhow. How do I navigate food choices in Israel? We don't eat chalav Yisrael, but we do insist on good hechsherim and glatt kosher, and I want to make sure all is done al pi halacha. I thought Mehadrin was OK. What can I rely on when I go to a grocery store or restaurant? Which restaurants are generally accepted?

sped

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:16 am
Same answer: Find yourself a rav you can really rely on. If you ask here, you will just get the answers each person's rav gave...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:32 am
It should be noted that it is very political as well...

and plenty of frum people eat Rabbunut mehadrin, and many of them eat regular Rabbanut...(and they eat OU Israel too..)

most of the imamothers are making it sound like if its not badatz its treif ...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:24 am
I agree with asking.

I also agree with last amother.

My dh's cousin who is a rabbi, doesnt eat rabbanut meat restaurant. He doesnt keep glatt/CY out of minhag, and eats stam kosher in Europe, but thinks stam kosher meat is less strict in Israel.

My dh's ruv is VERY charedi and he eats dairy rabbanut, meat mehadrin. He is a kashrus gadol.

merelyme

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
It should be noted that it is very political as well...

and plenty of frum people eat Rabbunut mehadrin, and many of them eat regular Rabbanut...(and they eat OU Israel too..)

By law, a plain Rabbanut hechsher must accept any hechsher, from anywhere in the world. A Rabbanut mehadrin hechsher is often given by the same Rabbi who gives the plain Rabbanut hechsher, but he is allowed to not use items with a hechsher that he considers unreliable. This is not political, it is a fact. (source: Rabbi Yitzchak Berkowitz)

Also, as mentioned above, the Rabbanut mehadrin hechsher is no longer considered as reliable as once was.

As with so many things, asei lecha Rav - choose yourself a Rabbi and ask!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:58 am
Quote:
Also, as mentioned above, the Rabbanut mehadrin hechsher is no longer considered as reliable as once was.

that is political--

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 8:32 am
or at least somewhat political...

merelyme

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

that is political--
amother wrote:

No, it is an unfortunate fact, attested to by people who work in hechsherim and have for years.

"Political" would be if I'd say that I don't trust Rabbi XYZ because he voted for party ABC. Non-political is when I don't rely on Rabbi XYZ's hechsher because I've seen him do certain things and rely on leniencies that I consider not okay.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:19 am
merelyme wrote:
amother wrote:
Quote:

that is political--
amother wrote:

No, it is an unfortunate fact, attested to by people who work in hechsherim and have for years.

"Political" would be if I'd say that I don't trust Rabbi XYZ because he voted for party ABC. Non-political is when I don't rely on Rabbi XYZ's hechsher because I've seen him do certain things and rely on leniencies that I consider not okay.

why? what leniencies are these very frum, haredi mashgiachim relying on?? I'm asking about the Rabbanut mehadrin?? Mehadrin as I understand means there's a masgiach all the time, and other stringencies? (not to mention, one day it was "kosher" and then banned the day after...)

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
what leniencies are these very frum, haredi mashgiachim relying on??

Who told you that all the mashgichim are very frum and haredi? (whatever that means). Who ran up to shamayim and checked their levels of yiras shamayim?

I am not saying they are or they aren't. I have no idea at all. Where do you get your information from?

Also, amother, you do not know much about kashrus in hotels/ restaurants/ halls if you think any problems are only caused by relying on leniencies. Kashrus in such places where some/all of the kitchen staff may be non-frum or non-Jewish is very, very complex.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:07 am
There are problems with all hechsherim here, seriously.
I know someone in the food industry that no way, no how will eat anything badatz eida chareidis, after what he's seen. And other people who will never eat badatz beit yosef. And people that won't eat badatz chasam sofer. And people that won't eat landau. And people that won't eat... pretty much every hechsher out there.
You can't get a clear cut answer of what is a good hechsher and what is not, and not even what is better than another that is agreed upon by everyone. You just need to ask a rav and follow what he says.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions