Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kosher sushi grade fish in yerushalyaim

normama

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 4:05 pm
We've been here less than 2 weeks, but we're dying for sushi. because of the hechsherim we are currently keeping (eida chareidus, landau, rubin) I don't know of any sushi restaurants we can dine at.
so I'll be making my own sushi
1. I've been told there is NO fake crab here? really? is that true?
2. we want to buy sushi grade fish to make our own. anyone know of a good fish guy? with a good hechsher?
thanks!!!

Seraph

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 4:17 pm
normama wrote:
We've been here less than 2 weeks, but we're dying for sushi. because of the hechsherim we are currently keeping (eida chareidus, landau, rubin) I don't know of any sushi restaurants we can dine at.
2. we want to buy sushi grade fish to make our own. anyone know of a good fish guy? with a good hechsher?
thanks!!!
No fake crab as far as I know.
Regarding nori, I know teva net on agripas sells extra mehadrin nori. I know you didnt ask, but thought I'd share.

cubbie

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 4:31 pm
David Dagim in the shuk is considered the best in Ym.

normama

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 4:33 pm
what is their hechsher?

cubbie

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 4:55 pm
not sure - because we go with rabbanut - but im sure others on here will be able to answer that

Seraph

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 5:16 pm
Random question- if you get a whole fish and fillet it yourself, so you can check for fins and scales, why on earth would it matter what the hechsher was?

intrigued

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 6:13 pm
Seraph wrote:
Random question- if you get a whole fish and fillet it yourself, so you can check for fins and scales, why on earth would it matter what the hechsher was?

Um the vegetables?

sarahd

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 6:30 pm
She asked for the hechsher on David Dagim, that's why Seraph posted as she did.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 12:37 am
Seraph wrote:

This is definitely doable with salmon, and many people do that way. However, a whole tuna would weigh something like 200Kg so you're VERY unlikely to see a whole tunafish in at a fishmonger. They're usually cut either aboard the fishing boat, or sawed (literally) at the fish market before sold to restaurants/fishmongers.

intrigued

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 2:59 am
Oops. I completely misunderstood Seraph and OP. I know salmon you can buy in a public place as you can tell it's salmon. I think it depends on the fish.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 3:45 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Seraph wrote:

This is definitely doable with salmon, and many people do that way. However, a whole tuna would weigh something like 200Kg so you're VERY unlikely to see a whole tunafish in at a fishmonger. They're usually cut either aboard the fishing boat, or sawed (literally) at the fish market before sold to restaurants/fishmongers.
Good point. I forgot about the size of a tuna.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 4:10 am
Seraph wrote:
normama wrote:
thanks!!!
Regarding nori, I know teva net on agripas sells extra mehadrin nori. I know you didnt ask, but thought I'd share.

If nori with good hechsher is available, why are restaurants using beet leaves to wrap sushi? It tasted so weird.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 5:09 am
amother wrote:
Seraph wrote:
normama wrote:
thanks!!!

If nori with good hechsher is available, why are restaurants using beet leaves to wrap sushi? It tasted so weird.
This was the first time I ever saw it (last week)- it could be its a new import.

merelyme

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:20 am
Nori is available with an OU hechsher. I've been told that it needs to be checked for insects, though.

shabri

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 1:07 pm
David Dagim is rabanut. We generally only eat mehadrin but our rav told us that for salmon we could buy with a rabanut hechsher.

Yes we were told to check the nori for bugs

sped

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:50 pm
I also used to buy any fish I couls see the scales on, anywhere. (My mother used to buy at a treif fish store in Chu"L.) But now, what about the whole worm issue in fish? I pretty much stoppd buying anything but Badatz because of that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions