Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Purim seuda

Chanie

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 5:54 pm
I'd like to make a themed meal for my purim seuda.. I thought maybe tropical....
fruit Smooties
maybe pineapple chcken...
I haven't come up with a meal plan yet, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.
I nned a theme. (any, let your imagination fly) To go with it a fish idea, a main course idea and a dessert. I need to shop for ingredients tomorrow night, so please help out asap.
Thanks a million.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 7:08 pm
OK, brainstorm time!

Purim Theme

FISH: Partially defrost fish roll, squash it semi-flat and make deep dents lengthwise in the center, top and bottom. Cover in tomato sauce etc. and bake. Slice, and cut out small ovals with sharp knife to look like masks.

MAIN COURSE: Use large soft tortillas/wraps to make Hamentash-shaped wraps. Stuff with rice, chicken, meat, veggies, etc. (Make a couple different kinds.) You may need to use toothpicks or gluey rice to keep them closed.
Or, use same wrap idea, but cut into rectangles and only stuff half. Leave the other half plain, roll up halfway, and you have "megillas." If you use cold cuts and other flat foods it will make it easier.
Wash on Hamentash shaped challos.

DESSERT: Ice cream sandwiches (tofutti cuties?) with a pretzel stick or lady finger jabbed in the end to look like a gragger.

Surprises

FISH: Tuna salad, whitefish salad, etc. served in mini ice cream cones.

MAIN COURSE: Purple mashed potatoes (no food coloring, buy real purple potatoes!), yellow peas (they do exist), sliced breaded eggplant fried like shnitzel, chicken cubes in sweet/sour sauce.

DESSERT: Fried ice cream! (look up a recipe, it's really good)

Mini

FISH: Defrost a fish roll, divide, and make into five smaller rolls. Bake/boil as usual, slice thinly, and put tiny piece of carrot on each piece. Finely chopped Israeli salad.

MAIN COURSE: Broiled chicken wings. Hot mini-corn. Baked baby potatoes, cut in half with a drop of margarine. Baby-sized meatballs. Farfel. Get a bunch of small plates, and put food on before serving. Each person will probably eat a few "servings!"

DESSERT: Tiny hamentashen, baby bananas, mandarin orange slices.

Chinese Food

FISH: Marinated salmon steaks

MAIN COURSE: Sesame chicken, egg drop soup (with kreplach/wonton style), steamed vegetables, rice.

DESSERT: Fortune cookies with funny Purim fortunes

Hmmm, doubt that's anything practical, but it was fun to imagine!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 8:04 pm
WOW!!!

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 8:07 pm
Hisorerus seriously now, have you done all this Smile

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:17 pm
Have I done this?!? LOL! LOLLOLLOL:Go back and read the "Kitchen Mishaps" thread. We don't trust people like me in the kitchen! But I am allowed to make up fun ideas for those who won't maim themselves and destroy their kitchens in the process! (Nobody said practical...)

Chanie

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 7:08 am
hisorerus- thanks for your ideas.. exactly what I'm looking for... cute ideas that are different. Maybe the chinese idea is good, cuz I can easily decorate the room in reds and blacks... black dishes, red table cloth...
I also like the mini idea....
For some reason the tropic theme appeals to me, but I cannot come up with a complete menu.... Sad

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 7:43 am
Tropical Theme

FISH: Palm tree salmon- cut salmon steaks into strips, use lettuce and olives to make them look like palm trees.
Spinach salad with strawberries, mango, or mandarin oranges (or all three).

MAIN COURSE: Pineapple chicken, apple kugel with peach slices, green beans with almonds and shredded carrot.

DESSERT: Fruit smoothies, coconut cake

Sunshine

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 2:58 pm
wow hisorerus! Now I know who to go to for supper/shabbos ideas! Wink

Chanie

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 5:02 pm
I decided to stick with the oriental idea after all. Just sent off my shopping list.

first course: taryaki salmon
Cabbage Salad
Asst other salads (not chinese, but to please my hubby)

second course: chicken soup
kreplach (the jewish wonton)

third course: rolled chicken breasts marinated and coated in sesame seeds
stir fried green beens
rice

dessert: fortune cookies (with purim fortunes.... anyone can supply good ones?)
chocolate cake
fresh fruit
tea

Decorate the room in red and black... red table cloth, black dishes. Maybe I'll get into the spirt and dress up chinese as well... if I can figure out how to do it with so little time.

Thanks hisorerus for the superb ideas.

micki

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 7:49 pm
who is gonna have time to eat a several course meal?
I feel jipped this purim! and then shabbos- this one will be tricky!
we're doing a one course- I just baked chall, shaped it in hamentashen shapes with a cinn/raisen filling in the center of each. they look so cute!

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 8:27 pm
Purim fortunes... that sounds fun! Exploding anger

How about
- You will meet a very friendly 6 foot brown bear
- There is much nosh in your future
- An Esther is about to make a big difference in your life (best if your name is Esther!)
- It only takes one cup of wine to make you drunk. But is it the 13th or the 14th?
- If your BAC is below the legal driving limit, Lechaim.
- The secret to life is in the hamentashen.
- We have Purim so we can gorge on Chometz before Pesach.
- Tell the joke you were thinking of, it's very funny!

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 9:43 pm
I am doing a mexican theme.

gefilte fish with salsa baked on it.

tacos with refried beans

mexican rice

salsa and chips

salad- with a salsa dressing

guacamole

flan for desert and maybe a parve cinnamon chocolate drink

I am excited and leftovers for shabbos

deedee

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 9:56 pm
how do u guys have time to do all that plus make shlach manos, plus make shabbos, plus go to meggilah readings, plus deliver shlach manos shock -and still have time to be here LOL
we are having a bar b que (this was hubby gets to do all the cooking Wink 8) ).
ribs, chicken, potato salad and corn.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 3:09 am
Dedee then you must really live in a state of bliss, coz in most places it's still too cooooold to even think about making a barbque 8)

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 7:03 am
I am having it easy we are eating the sueda by my in laws and staying there for shabbos....but I am making desert and some salads to help out.

micki

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 8:13 am
those fortunes are cute- now I thik I need to make some! who has a recepie for the cookies? hisorerus I am in awe of your brain!!!

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 10:07 am
Im having a pot luck...

invited a few families, and each one will bring somehting.... As Im having a baby in three weeks, this will mean less work for me, which I think is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 10:27 am
Quote:
how do u guys have time to do all that plus make shlach manos, plus make shabbos, plus go to meggilah readings, plus deliver shlach manos -and still have time to be here

I guess this should go under the WE ARE WOMEN! thread LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen