Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Carseat gemach in brooklyn

peasachmom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:20 pm
I need a toddler carseat for dd whos 15 months old. we don't have a car but a bil is going to israel but left his toddler carseat with sil in the mountains (just in case she needs it). any one know of a gemach that has carseats and gives for about a week?

reed

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:29 pm
From the Hakhel list:
Gemach Zichron Tzvi v'Breindel
Car Seat Gemach
917-468-7557

I think there's another one, but I don't see it listed. If you can't find one, PM me. I might be able to help you out for a short term loaner.

peasachmom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:46 pm
op here : thank you so much Reed. a more direct number for this Gemach is 718 853 0839. I can keep it up to 2 weeks. best of all she's right around the corner (in bp) I didn't have to wait for dh to come home(he picked it up this afternoon and went straight to work)

reed

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:01 am
I'm so glad it worked!

Rachy510

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 11:27 am
Does anyone know if this gemach is still up and running?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:10 pm
rachy, do you need a carseat temporarily or permanently?

Rachy510

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:12 pm
Temporarily. We live in Israel and are going to New York to visit for around 2 weeks.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:22 pm
Rachy510 wrote:
Temporarily. We live in Israel and are going to New York to visit for around 2 weeks.

ah. sorry, I can't help you.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:35 pm
Rachy510 wrote:

I'm really wary of anything like a gmach, where you won't know if the seat was damaged. Some car rental companies also rent car seats, but I have the same concern.

There are car seats that are not that expensive. Eg, http://www.albeebaby.com/evenf.....views ($50, in Manhattan). You could probably do even better at Walmart. Maybe you could donate it afterwards.

Enjoy your trip.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 1:54 pm
This is pretty much the cheapest car seat out there, but obviously each seat will only fit children within certain height and weight parameters (and not necessarily what the manufacturer lists either) http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/C.....32760

I would also be concerned about putting a child in a seat with unknown history. Many brands of car seats are considered unsafe after any accident, and that won't necessarily be reported to the gmach. Car seats have expiration dates. And you have no idea if people abused the seats by throwing them around or allowing children who are way past the limits to use them. Not knowing much about car seats, you would be relying on a stranger that the seat is correct and safe for your child, and the seat has not been compromised in any way. Not all damage is visible! Finally, be sure to read the manual before installing and using the seat. Every seat has different guidelines and those make the difference between a life saving device and a potentially fatal situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics