Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Remedy for potato kugel that turns gray, anyone?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 10:39 pm
To "are you so embarrased about your grey potato kugel?!?!?!"

NO-WE JUST DON'T ESPECIALLY ENJOY WORKING HARD ON A POTATO KUGEL ( for instance peeling and grating, etc.) AND THEN HAVING UNSATISFACTORY RESULTS!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:31 am
mumsy23 wrote:
What is with these amothers and the recipe section?!?! I mean come on OP, are you so embarrased about your grey potato kugel?!?!?!

Rolling Laughter

chen

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:

NO-WE JUST DON'T ESPECIALLY ENJOY WORKING HARD ON A POTATO KUGEL ( for instance peeling and grating, etc.) AND THEN HAVING UNSATISFACTORY RESULTS!

what mumsy meant was, why are you posting this question anonymously? you are not the first, nor will you be the last, woman on the planet to have this problem. It's hardly unusual enough, or intimate enough, to warrant posting as amother.

(You also don't need to shout. we hear you.)

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 3:08 pm
chen wrote:
amother wrote:

what mumsy meant was, why are you posting this question anonymously? you are not the first, nor will you be the last, woman on the planet to have this problem. It's hardly unusual enough, or intimate enough, to warrant posting as amother.

(You also don't need to shout. we hear you.)

lol LOL

amother

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:59 pm
LOL
Many of us suffer from a centuries old Jewish malady called Balabustaphobia.
LOL

amother

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:04 pm
Rolling Eyes

This is closely related to mothersfaultphobia, another ages old Jewish malady.

We all suffer from both diseases in varying degrees. It's in the blood.

Rolling Eyes

classymom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:42 pm
For the person that suggested the vitamin c tablet, what kind is it, and for the person that suggested the powder from her aunt the caterer- what brand and what amounts please, and thanks! I wouldnt mind making a white kugel from time to time!

Mommish

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:39 am
I NEVER have grey kugel. My mother taught me the secret, which is to WORK FAST. Grate quickly, mix quickly, put it in the oven asap.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:28 pm
Mommish wrote:
I NEVER have grey kugel. My mother taught me the secret, which is to WORK FAST. Grate quickly, mix quickly, put it in the oven asap.

shock Mommish, you ought to be crowned! BTW how long have you been making potato kugel?I've had potatoes that turned colors right in the food processor bowl as they were being processed.

MOM222

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 9:24 pm
If it turns brown when its still in the food processor you should grate the onion with the potatoes.
For example:
6 potatoes, 1 onion

Put two potatoes in, 1/2 an onion, two potatoes, second 1/2 onion, rest of potatoes.

That should keep it nice and white.

shoy18

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 10:34 pm
If your potatos turn colors in the proccessor your potatos are not so fresh and probably are on there way out.

chen

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:10 am
shoy18 wrote:
If your potatos turn colors in the proccessor your potatos are not so fresh and probably are on there way out.

Enzyme-mediated oxidation goes on no matter how fresh the taties are. Some varieties turn colors faster than others, that's all. Same is true for apples, BTW--some varieties turn brown almost as soon as you cut them while others stay white for quite some time. I am guessing that the more tart-tasting ones stay white longer because the juice is more acidic than the sweeter varieties.

also the composition of the blades plays a role. stainless steel is the least likely to contribute to oxidation. I'm also willing to bet that if the taters are cold the oxidation is slower than if they are at room temp. I haven't tested this out b/c you are supposed to keep spuds at room temp and not refrigerate.

gryp

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:23 am
Ive tried EVERYTHING. my potato kugel turns gray. Puke
ive stopped making potato kugel. Sad a big shame because everyone likes it.

momof2

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:37 am
I didnt read all the posts, but what I do is keep the potatoes in a bowl of cold water once their peeled. I great the onions first and then I do the potatoes.
I use a food processer. do you do it by hand? if you do it by hand mabye the potatoes are sitting for to long because grating by hand takes much longer to do!

guesswho

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:47 am
I only use Idaho potatoes for potatoe kugel. I believe that they are the best to use to get a nice white kugel.

shoy18

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 1:18 pm
GR wrote:

try red potatos

shoy18

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 1:19 pm
chen wrote:
shoy18 wrote:

Enzyme-mediated oxidation goes on no matter how fresh the taties are. Some varieties turn colors faster than others, that's all. Same is true for apples, BTW--some varieties turn brown almost as soon as you cut them while others stay white for quite some time. I am guessing that the more tart-tasting ones stay white longer because the juice is more acidic than the sweeter varieties.

also the composition of the blades plays a role. stainless steel is the least likely to contribute to oxidation. I'm also willing to bet that if the taters are cold the oxidation is slower than if they are at room temp. I haven't tested this out b/c you are supposed to keep spuds at room temp and not refrigerate.

Im sure you are right but for some reason whenever my potatos arent fresh they turn colors much easier

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 6:04 pm
ok, old thread BUT same problem.

I think we need to know there is a difference between potatoes that are turning brown/pinkish from being exposed to air and kugel that goes in white but turns gray while cooking.
working quickly solves the first problem, but the grayness is clearly from something else. my kugel is made FAST and almost always comes out gray...

any ideas?

sneakermom

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 6:19 pm
Three important tips.

1. Grate the onion first and then grate the potato's into the mixture.
2. Heat up oil and pour over the prepared kugel
3. Place into a hot oven on bottom rack.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 6:23 pm
gryp wrote:

If everyone likes it, who cares what it looks like! Everyone knows that potato kugels turn gray. It's not like yours is the only one. I say, if they're eating it, then go for it. Very Happy
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes