Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Remedy for potato kugel that turns gray, anyone?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 3:27 pm
I second what a previous poster suggested: Vitamin C powder. Works wonders!

mrs kugal

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 3:27 pm
Grey kugal definitely doesn't taste as good as white/yellow kugal....
I use vitamin c powder from maxi health! I guess it also makes e feel good to give that extra nutrient Wink
Some use Yukon gold potatoes but the taste differs slightly.

Good luck and hearty appetite

sarachana

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 4:00 pm
shoy18 wrote:
If your potatos turn colors in the proccessor your potatos are not so fresh and probably are on there way out.

Not true

shanamaidel

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 4:02 pm
After peeling potatoes place them in a bowl of ice water until ready to grate. Works every time!

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 4:04 pm
found this online:

Question: Why do shredded potatoes turn gray?

A: It depends on whether your potatoes are turning gray before you cook them or after.

When you grate raw potatoes, you release starch that can cause them to oxidize, or turn dark.

The best way to keep that from happening is to cover the potatoes with cold water, then drain them very well before cooking.

A trick I have heard from Jewish cooks who make latkes every year is to shred the potatoes together with onions, which is supposed to minimize the darkening of the potatoes. But you'd have to decide how you feel about onion in your shredded potato dish.

What's really frustrating are potatoes that turn dark after cooking. That's a reaction that can have several causes, including how the potatoes were grown or a reaction with aluminum cookware.

It doesn't happen with all potatoes, and it can be hard to predict.

soooo I guess I'll try cooking it in non-aluminum pans and see what happens...

mrs kugal

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 4:13 pm
Yes, that makes a lot of sense! I have memories of fluffy and non grey kugal that was baked in a baking dish.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 5:30 pm
Prepare the eggs before grating the potatoes. Make sure to mix the potatoes very well with the eggs adding the grated potatoes, every few potatoes.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 5:50 pm
My MIL puts a bit of baking soda in to keep the potatoes white. No idea how much.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 6:03 pm
Haven't read the thread but here's what works for me. Every time. All the time.
I put about 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder (for 9x13 pan) into the kugel mixture right after grating.
Works really well!

mom2dkay

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 6:21 pm
Kugel that was white right before it went into the oven can still turn gray.
Oven needs to be REALLY hot, I preheat mine to 400F.
Working fast to begin with does help.
And enough oil.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 6:47 pm
Don't use white potatoes! Use Yukon golds. I've never had a grey kugel since I started using them. They are more expensive, but the flavor is better and it makes for a much more attractive kugel!

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 5:37 am
Bake on VERY high heat--start like 500 then lower to 450--not less. Heat does not allow the gray to set in.

etky

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 6:45 am
I've never had a kugel turn gray in my life though my sister, who makes the same recipe as me complains about it all the time. Go figure. She claims we make it exactly the same way so it's really a mystery why her's turns grey and mine does not. The only thing I can think of is the composition of the chopping blade. In any case, here's what I do - if anyone wants to extrapolate any conclusions from this be my guest:
I don't grate the potatoes, I chop them fine (but not until they're really liquidey) with the processor's chopping blade together with the onions, in batches, and then mix in the other ingredients: flour, oil, salt, pepper and eggs last. I don't work particularly fast, just my normal pace. I pour the batter into a well-oiled (but not heated) pyrex, corningware, ceramic or enameled steel pan and bake in a preheated oven for an hour. C'est tout.
To the imamothers who won't serve grey kugel - chaval! I have no problem with grey kugel. I don't think it's off-putting. The taste is the same yummy taste and I don't think potato kugel would win any beauty contests anyway (though maybe compared to cholent it would!).

naomi6

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 2:42 pm
put the oven on very hot immediately put in kugel 500 temp

Frumdoc

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 2:35 pm
I like gray kugel, or at least it doesn't bother me enough to patchke around trying to get it bright white.

Slatternly housewives here I come LOL LOL

Sleep

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 6:17 pm
I started using Yukon Gold potatoes. They never turn grey, and they taste better too. The only downside is that they cost a little more than Idaho.

happymom29

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 12:56 am
the trick is grating with onions and adding the onions at the beggining, my kugel is always white and I have not done any of the other things mentioned here, no vitamin c, no soaking in water, no heating oil, I just grate onoins and potatoes, add the other ingreidients and pop into the oven, it has never turned gray, my mil always asked me how its always white, I told her to do the onions at the beginng and since then her kugels are also white.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 1:33 am
happymom29 wrote:
the trick is grating with onions and adding the onions at the beggining, my kugel is always white and I have not done any of the other things mentioned here, no vitamin c, no soaking in water, no heating oil, I just grate onoins and potatoes, add the other ingreidients and pop into the oven, it has never turned gray, my mil always asked me how its always white, I told her to do the onions at the beginng and since then her kugels are also white.

Or just grating/chopping them together with the potatoes like I do.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 8:57 am
yersp wrote:
someone once told me to put in either a small squash or if I'm making soup too, then a half a squash. She claimed it was a tried and true way. It doesnt change the flavor, she says it adds flavor if anything! good luck!

This past week I made a potato kugel and added a whole squash (zucchini). It was one of the grayest kugels Ive ever made, which is the reason Im reading this thread now.

Liebs

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 9:01 am
mimsy7420 wrote:
Alternate potatoes and onions when you grate.

Put an onion in first and then keep adding little pieces.
Put in preheated oven.
Heat oil if you remember-but has nothing to do with color but to do with fried taste.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes