Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Remedy for potato kugel that turns gray, anyone?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 12:19 pm
Does baking in a glass/Pyrex dish help?

And if yes, do I ruin the benefit of the glass if I line the glass baking dish with parchment paper?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 12:21 pm
If you've tried other methods and are still having this issue, purchase some citric acid and add a drop to your kugel to keep it white.

Stars

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 12:41 pm
vitamin c powder

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 12:48 pm
Stars wrote:
vitamin c powder

Ive gotten a grayish kugel w Vitamin C powder too.

Maybe my problem is the fact that Im baking in a countertop oven temporarily, and it doesnt get hot enough.

funmother

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 1:20 pm
Firstly, after peeling each potatoe place it in a bowl of cold water until completly covered. When you are ready to shred them dry them off and work fast; Its not just the onion , its the eggs too, mix the onion into the eggs first then add the potatoes make sure potatoes is completely covered in mixture at all times if you see its starting to turn colors add (alternate) more eggs or more onions. Even for overnight kugle start it out in a preheated 400 degrees oven. I hope this helps

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 1:26 pm
use yukon gold potatoes

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 1:53 pm
My neighbor makes the best potato kugel. Hers is green. She puts in tons of parsley. She told me she does this so she doesn't have to worry about gray kugel. Go figure. But it's the best kugel around.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:16 pm
oliveoil wrote:
use yukon gold potatoes
I did and the color was perfect but it doesnt taste the same. Also you cant find decent size Yukon Gold potatoes, theyre a pain to peel when theyre small.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 6:05 pm
Mevater wrote:
Ive gotten a grayish kugel w Vitamin C powder too.

Maybe my problem is the fact that Im baking in a countertop oven temporarily, and it doesnt get hot enough.
Yes, that does sound like the issue.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 6:17 pm
Turmeric. Just throw in about a half teaspoon. Or a little more if you are making a lot of kugle.

Turmeric is a spice. It won't do much if anything to the flavor at that amount. But it is a powerful yellow dye. It will give your potatoes, noodles, rice and kugle a golden color that is attractive. It won't hurt you in any way.

It is a big element in some cuisines but they use much more of it. A shake or two will just give you nice color. It's not "cheating". It's a food.

Such pretty yellow saffron looking rice you will have. Brown rice, any kind. But saffron is expensive. Turmeric isn't.

EsaEinai

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 6:33 pm
In my experience, potato kugel turns gray when your oven isn't hot enough. I bake mine at 450 for the first hour. I actually bake it covered for the first few hours and only uncover at the end. It gives it the texture of an overnight kugel in just an afternoon

HelloG

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:51 pm
My mother always put seltzer to keep the color.

Sarah f

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 3:56 am
soak the peeled potatoes in cold tap water for at least 20 min. Then follow the recipe. I never looked back!

Ruchi

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 4:12 am
Mevater wrote:
Does baking in a glass/Pyrex dish help?

And if yes, do I ruin the benefit of the glass if I line the glass baking dish with parchment paper?

No need to line the pyrex with parchment paper. spray (or shmeer) with oil all over and it will work out just fine.

Good quality baking potatoes should not cause a grey Kigel.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 9:55 am
I always wanted to bake a high potato kugel that I get when baking in a large rectangular loaf pan, but I realized that the higher the kugel the more likely it will turn grey. Ive had very nice colored kugels lately (not gray) with flatter kugels, probably because the heat gets to the center quicker when its a low kugel.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes