Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Need help finding school uniforms for my children's school

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 2:37 pm
My kids' school in small town Canada has a dress code but no uniform. It is a royal pain in the neck. Long story short, I offered to research reasonably priced, tzniusdik school uniforms. I discovered that it's not quite so simple. Most of the websites I have found don't even carry skirts that go below the knee. I found one that does but the skirts are $45.00 each plus shipping. That seemed like a lot of money to me, but maybe I'm out of touch because I buy pretty much all of my clothes at second hand stores or at walmart. Has anybody here had experience finding school uniforms for their children's schools? Is $45 for a skirt reasonable? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

TIA,

Good Shabbos!

JustPlainMe

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 3:44 pm
If you can go with solid skirts you may find it much cheaper at Landsend, Gap or Old navy. Or even at Childrens place.
Good luck

ganizzy

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 4:08 pm
the ones from childrens place and so on dont really hit the knee

there is a store in boro park, I forgot the name maybe freindlech that selld all different kind of skirts. its not online but we order them thru the school and its about $35 a skirt plus shipping.

personally I dont spend that much money on skirts for my girls bec I can always find sales, but the fact is that I have 3 skirts and my daughter is set for the year. also bec it is such a dark color they dont get stained and they pass on to the next kid pretty well (maybe it needs a new hem and a new elastic waistband)

or u can get a solid color pleated skirt form lands end but they will also run u 30-35 unless they are on clearance like this one
http://www.landsend.com/pp/Ple.....index

cm

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 4:31 pm
Unfortunately, below-knee uniform skirts from companies serving Jewish schools are that expensive.

French Toast has a couple of less-expensive longer styles that might meet your needs.

Lands End has a couple, but they are not much less expensive than the one you mentioned.

Hannah Lise is another possibility. I have had mixed success with their products (not school uniforms).

Very, very few skirts from regular clothing companies are below-knee. It's a challenge every year to get suitable clothing for my daughter. Lands End dresses and skirts from Garnet Hill and Hanna Andersson are all good, but might not be available every year. Perhaps if all the girs ordered black skirts from one of the "frum" websites such as Junees?

Sewing is a possibility - I looked into this for one of our schools. Good-quality apparel fabric is expensive, as is labor. This would only save money if someone in your community is willing to do it at a significant discount or as a donation.

Hope that helps!

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 5:01 pm
Thank you so much to all of you who took the time to reply. It is certainly very helpful.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 5:28 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
My kids' school in small town Canada has a dress code but no uniform. It is a royal pain in the neck. Long story short, I offered to research reasonably priced, tzniusdik school uniforms. I discovered that it's not quite so simple. Most of the websites I have found don't even carry skirts that go below the knee. I found one that does but the skirts are $45.00 each plus shipping. That seemed like a lot of money to me, but maybe I'm out of touch because I buy pretty much all of my clothes at second hand stores or at walmart. Has anybody here had experience finding school uniforms for their children's schools? Is $45 for a skirt reasonable? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

TIA,

Good Shabbos!

We prefer the dress code, but YMMV.

Why not just require navy or black skirts of a certain length, then a uniform top.

But schooluniforms.com has this:

http://www.schooluniforms.com/......html

You could also try calling French Toast to see if they'll be offering anything like this

http://www.frenchtoast.com/pro.....ype=1

of this

http://www.frenchtoast.com/pro.....erby=

Raisin

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 7:46 pm
my kids school has a uniform which can be purchased from an expensive uniform shop. blue skirt/grey trousers, white polo shirt (with or without school crest), blue cardigan or sweater with crest. (sweatshirt material) But they are flexible on the exact type of trousers or skirt, and if you wear a blue sweater or polo short without the crest it is fine as well.

I buy everything except for the sweaters in a regular store. I do have to get skirts in frum shops becasue nowhere else sells long ones.

try and find out where convent schools scource their uniforms. Wink

cm

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 11:30 pm
Raisin wrote:

I don't know how it is in Canada, but Catholic schools in the US use above-knee skirts. If the long-skirt demand were higher, availability would be greater and prices lower.

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 11:57 pm
You want Fraylich's uniforms in boro park. They have a website, but better to call them.

718-871-8253

FRAYLICHSCHOOL@AOL.COM (I don't know if they ever check it).

Call soon, they get busy in august. They supply to many many schools.

But I agree - NYC public schools have a dress code of navy or black pants and a white shirt. That's the easiest dress code.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 1:33 am
aidelmaidel wrote:
You want Fraylich's uniforms in boro park. They have a website, but better to call them.

718-871-8253

FRAYLICHSCHOOL@AOL.COM (I don't know if they ever check it).

Call soon, they get busy in august. They supply to many many schools.

But I agree - NYC public schools have a dress code of navy or black pants and a white shirt. That's the easiest dress code.

Not really relevant to OP, but AIUI, NYC schools have the option of uniforms, but don't have to use them. Some schools use yellow shirts instead of white. As near as we can figure, they want to make sure everyone looks bad. Our local NYC public schools don't have uniforms.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 2:13 am
I used to get navy pleated skirts in Rosenbergs on 13th ave in BP whenever I could.

smile2u

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 11:50 am
Fraylich is the place to go, they are very helpful and have great quality. You can try to reach them and ask them if there is anyone thats selling there murchandise in Canada.
Smile 2u

shoshina

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 11:54 am
cm wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I don't know how it is in Canada, but Catholic schools in the US use above-knee skirts. If the long-skirt demand were higher, availability would be greater and prices lower.

They don't, actually, that is just how the girls tend to wear them sometimes. I went to enriched courses with some Catholic girls, their skirts were well below the knee, their classmates just rolled them up. Uniform stores will have some options but they're pricey too!

farm

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 3:52 pm
shoshina wrote:
cm wrote:
Raisin wrote:

They don't, actually, that is just how the girls tend to wear them sometimes. I went to enriched courses with some Catholic girls, their skirts were well below the knee, their classmates just rolled them up. Uniform stores will have some options but they're pricey too!

I second that. The Catholic girls roll up their skirts to cheerleader length. They probably buy from private suppliers the same way the frum school do- prices are probably similiar. I think it will be much cheaper for you to have a dress code instead of a uniform.

realeez

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 4:23 pm
Why don't you contact one of the bigger girls' school in Canada (like Eitz Chaim, BY, Netivot in Toronto - I don't know Montreal schools) and see if you can add on to their order and maybe this way you can get a discount. This way shipping may be more reasonable than from the US.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics