Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job for someone with a science background who hates science

amother

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:32 pm
I am more of a creative person, but due to pressures from family, ended up getting a Masters in a science field. Now, I will be graduating soon and don't have a clue what to go into. Any ideas for a job (preferably with flexible hours) that I could use my Masters for but wouldn't be hard science, like benchwork?

acccdac

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:39 pm
why not teach?

look what what be required of you to teach in public school, college, or jewish schools (all have different requirements)

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 9:41 pm
what type of 'science field'? There are thousands of masters degrees, in order to give pertinent suggestions, it would help to know more specific information about your academic background.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 10:05 pm
Do you have any interest in medical/science publishing? This has become popular at my graduate school. So has consulting, although they favor the PhD's. Patent law is another interesting option (you do not need to go to law school).

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:14 pm
My degree is in Biology, if that helps. But the emphasis was really Biopsych. Patent law sounds interesting. I hadn't realized that that was something that can be worked on without a law degree or Ph.D. I have considered teaching. I don't have much experience, though :-(

Tziril Miriam

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 1:15 am
Be more positive, upbeat. What have you liked to do? Do you want to work alone on projects or with others?
Treat all of us as potential employers, which we are. Don't just exude bad vibes.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 1:27 am
amother wrote:
I am more of a creative person, but due to pressures from family, ended up getting a Masters in a science field. Now, I will be graduating soon and don't have a clue what to go into. Any ideas for a job (preferably with flexible hours) that I could use my Masters for but wouldn't be hard science, like benchwork?

I doubt someone with a master's would be employed doing "benchwork".

Do you like science writing?
Do you enjoy the psychology part of biopsych? Perhaps you could pursue a career that leverages that part of your education.

What do you like?

Are there any career fairs held at your university?

What about something in the marketing field?

Re: teaching. I don't think I'd want my children taught by science teachers who "hate science"...

abby1776

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 1:28 am
You can be a registered patent agent without going to law school you need a science degree and to take the patent bar. A lot of law firms recruit people with science degrees and then let you work while going to law school at night. When I went to law school the patent law firm paid for tuition and books plus a salary of 90k a year for a commitment to work there. Some patent firms in NYC that still might have such a program are Kenyon and Kenyon and fish and Richardson.

Dina_B613

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 4:09 am
Science Librarian

Coordinator or Director at a Science Camp

Writer for a Science Blog (like Mother Nature Network has a lot of science related articles)

ACT and SAT II Tutor

shirachadasha

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 4:32 am
Marketing or sales for a drug company

5*Mom

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 5:44 am
acccdac wrote:
why not teach?

look what what be required of you to teach in public school, college, or jewish schools (all have different requirements)

Oy. If you hate science, please don't teach science.

shira143

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 7:00 am
What about research studies? Such variety of opportunities there without having to do analyses or wet labs.
ETA: this post is from 2011. OP, I wonder what you ended up choosing

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 7:04 am
shira143 wrote:
What about research studies? Such variety of opportunities there without having to do analyses or wet labs.
ETA: this post is from 2011. OP, I wonder what you ended up choosing

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics