Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Farewell party

Tiale

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 7:28 pm
Any tips on appetizers, set up, deco and any other food/drinks/desserts/tips for a Farewell party? TIA! A gutte voch!

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 7:48 pm
disposables
delegation
planning backwards
finding out if guest of honor has allergies

giving yourself more time to prepare than you need

are you having a sit down affair? is it buffet style or plate serving?

Tiale

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 8:02 pm
8 pm tired Mommies party. I want to serve desserts, drinks, fruit/veg/pareve appetizers but not to go overboard. Its on Mond night & I want to enjoy the party. Wink not get there exhausted...
I made a collage of pics of the party girl & thought to do the game of headbands. So everyone guesses what name (torah, current, community, characters) they have on their head. What other small activity can I do related to farewell? Deco? I thought of wrapping drink bottles in a paper that has a passport printed on it & preparing a book everyone can sign in.
I think ur tips are sooooo on target. Thanks! Someone offered to bring soda & vodka. (They aren't frum women). Can women drink alcohol when their husbands aren't there? Should I even go there- like make a deal abt not drinking? Thanks!

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 8:33 pm
have a potluck party?

cut up fruit and veg?

alcohol is fine if you arent pg and arent gonna be rowdy or drunk. so me thinks. though I hate the smell of alcohol.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 8:34 pm
what do you mean by 'if their husbands arent there'?

Tiale

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 10:27 pm
I've heard something like that once. could be wrong.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 10:42 pm
Tiale wrote:
I've heard something like that once. could be wrong.

what do people think that those women can do? I am getting curious!

Tiale

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 10:48 pm
I dunno... Be happy? not much worse than the men Wink what about deco? Food? Activities?

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 11:23 pm
Tiale wrote:
I dunno... Be happy? not much worse than the men Wink what about deco? Food? Activities?

hey, that's discrimination !

are you doing it potluck style?

I dont know about decorations, I usually dont do them

what about a bingo game where the questions and answers are about joint memories (remember, no lashon hara). I did that thing once.

zaq

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 11:54 pm
Alcohol is fine provided NO ONE IS DRIVING, though you know it's really not a Jewish thing beyond a single "lechaim".

Tiale

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:08 am
I was just kidding abt the men. BH my husband is a real mentch in any state- even on Purim or simchas torah when he actually drinks a lot. Others can't cook- I'm the only frum one where I live. Someone is bringing drinks. The party is not based on alcohol but I know these ladies will want a few lechaims. they're not driving.
I think its cute when things are served in small cups, bite size, personal salads/fruit salad, etc. Anyone do a neshei prog or womens event or cocktail eve or chabad house event...? Just to make it impressive & not get lost in cooking tons etc.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:54 am
Tiale wrote:
I was just kidding abt the men. BH my husband is a real mentch in any state- even on Purim or simchas torah when he actually drinks a lot. Others can't cook- I'm the only frum one where I live. Someone is bringing drinks. The party is not based on alcohol but I know these ladies will want a few lechaims. they're not driving.
I think its cute when things are served in small cups, bite size, personal salads/fruit salad, etc. Anyone do a neshei prog or womens event or cocktail eve or chabad house event...? Just to make it impressive & not get lost in cooking tons etc.

could you have a friend help you with cutting the fruits and vegetables?

if you want an easy way of making rugelach, roll out a basic rectangle shape of cookie dough, spread filling and roll into one long roll. then cut into slices, as thick or thin you want, and spread on cookie sheet. brush with egg and bake.

you could get the little paper umbrellas for the fruit cups

big platters of sliced veggies, surrounding a nice round whatever of dip.

make hot dogs using the cookie roll idea.

you can have puff pastry cups with a tuna or something dip (not pureed) with an olive for garnishing.

do you have family or friends or neighbors that can help you? I wouldnt mind being in charge of the nice disposables and the cookies. and maybe setting up the things before the party. all for merely cost price Wink

merelyme

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 1:34 am
tsiggelle wrote:
what do you mean by 'if their husbands arent there'?

The halachah is that an unmarried girl must receive permission from her father to drink. A married woman must receive permission from her husband.

I've seen women call their husbands to get permission before having a drink at a wedding.

Tiale

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:52 am
Any more tips or ideas before I go out to the store? Just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something...

tsiggelle

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 11:15 pm
how was the party?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics