Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Sharing your schar with the KitchenAid
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 5:35 pm
I read the following and wonder what you think about it:

"Although a food processor can knead your challa dough do you really want the "KitchenAid" to get part of the schar (reward) for your mitzva?"

chavamom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 5:48 pm
I don't know. We all know the comparisons of akeres habayis vis a vis housekeeping with the cohanim and the upkeep they did in the beis hamikdash - running to sweep the ashes, etc. While I accept the moshel, I'm not going to give up my Maytag or vacuum cleaner either in order to get more 'schar'!

shoy18

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:09 pm
chavamom wrote:
I don't know. We all know the comparisons of akeres habayis vis a vis housekeeping with the cohanim and the upkeep they did in the beis hamikdash - running to sweep the ashes, etc. While I accept the moshel, I'm not going to give up my Maytag or vacuum cleaner either in order to get more 'schar'!

Neither will I give up my stove for a pit of wood and two rocks!

classymom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:09 pm
We women have to remember that we have a brain in our heads, and when things sound as crazy as what you read, you must dismiss it. It is just plain ignorant. Times, they are a changin.. Perhaps you have other things to do which will bring you much more schar, like spending more time with kids, or chesed or the like. Baking challa with or without a machine is admirable, thinking about the schar being shared, is not.

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:16 pm
You do if you don't want arthritis!

su7kids

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:24 pm
Can you use your kitchen aid all the way to the end of the kneading? I can't.

I always have to finish on the counter.

Tefila

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:40 pm
Ah I do the dough by hand always have done. Thanks for telling me I have done something right Very Happy

Though, that theory is off no?
Since what about someone driving in a car to a hospital or bussing for bikur cholim, rather then using their two feet even if it were to mean a day or so.
You think they would have to share their sechar too with the car or arn't they entitled to seperate rewards Tongue Out

red sea

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:45 pm
But nobody even mentioned biceps! Its also a plus to knead the dough yourself. Ok, now I'm not sure how intellectual that is Motek, but I couldn't leave that go unsaid.

Ozmom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:11 pm
red sea LOL LOL

actually I was wondering.
Is the mitzva, hafrashas challah only or is it the whole thing?
I don't have a mix master or whatever you call it so I use my own three..oops I mean two hands.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:15 pm
Motek, I read the same thing and was wondering....
Maybe in a way you get more schar the more toil, but I don't think you "lose out" by using a machine...especially if you wouldn't bake challah without it!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:58 pm
Like us - I wouldn't set a table with my China and crystal if I had to wash it all by hand!

Heck, I set the table, serve, and put it all away afterwards; that's not nothing!

micki

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:32 pm
do we share the schar of davening with a siddur? of taharas hamishpacha with bedika cloths and shampoo?
tzedaka with a wooden or metal can?
covering hair with a piece of fabric?
lighting candles with sticks of wax?

we use keilim to do mitzvos and we elevate the tools we use. not share the schar with them.

mali

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 6:44 am
chavamom wrote:
Besides, when Moshiach comes, why shouldn't they use these appliances in the Beis Hamikdash? I've always imagined the third Beis Hamikdash being fully accessorised with all the latest inventions. Why not?

Quote:
do we share the schar of davening with a siddur? of taharas hamishpacha with bedika cloths and shampoo?

we use keilim to do mitzvos and we elevate the tools we use. not share the schar with them.
Well said!

Blossom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 7:29 am
Quote:

Thumbs Up

sarahd

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:00 am
micki, well said! I read that quote too, Motek, and was very irritated by it (because I found it really smarmy, but I'm glad to have a good reason for my irritation, micki Very Happy .)

Ozmom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:16 am
smarmy?
ma ze smarmy?

sarahd

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:28 am
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

smarmy

SYLLABICATION: smarm·y
PRONUNCIATION: smärm
ADJECTIVE: Inflected forms: smarm·I·er, smarm·I·est
1. Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous. See synonyms at unctuous. 2. Sleek.
ETYMOLOGY: From smarm, to smear.
OTHER FORMS: smarm·I·ness —NOUN

Very Happy

Ozmom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:31 am
oh thankyou.
yeah good word, it works
kinda goes with this emotican too Mr. Green

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:41 am
I don't use my Kitchen aid for kneading challah, I do it all by hand in those huge shisselach we get from the matza bakery after our yearly baking 8) I just like it better that way. Am I missing something (besides lugging out my heavy Kitchenaid?) Confused

I agree with everyone about the tools for a mitzvah etc., and mali I'm trying to imagine an "updated" Beis HaMikdash Confused , but this story rings a bell here. there was a very celebrated Chossid of one of the Rebbe's (Alter Rebbe - Tzemach Tzedek) who made his trip to visit to the Rebbe by foot, saying that he didn't want to share this mitzvah with a horse.

queen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 2:03 pm
In my opinion- the kitchen aid is there to aid us the same way laundry machines were created. No one is rushing to do their laundry by the local rivers... and if that machine helps you make your challah- you've elvated it's being to a higher level Smile
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics