Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl name ideas- please read
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

lady chan

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 11:55 pm
Bracha; Ruchoma (from Hoshea); Tova (Hashem saw that it was "good"

spoons

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 12:10 am
amother wrote:

Tamar has bad connotations in tanach... Both times!

you do know that she is a mother of Moshiach....

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 12:13 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Honestly, OP is being pretty rude in her responses too. In fact, I'm 95% sure I know who OP is, based on the way she is writing and responding. People can stand to be a little nicer.
I agree.
With both of your points.

Rodent

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 2:10 am
Wow, some people on here are nasty! We would have similar requirements for names (except that we'd use modern Hebrew names or even create names) to say some of what I've read on this thread is simply disgusting!

Now I couldn't read through all of that so will likely be doubling up on names but some possibilities:
Ketura
Tirtza
Yiska
Naama
Bitya
Rut
Rahav
Avigayil
Batsheva
Yocheved
Serach
Yael

Sorry, can't think of any others from the top of my head.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 2:38 am
Ketura? Who was called that because she offered incense to avoda zara?

Rahav? True she saved the spies, but, um I don't think we would want our dds to go into her, um, profession, ch"v.

I have heard from Rav Mutzafi that it isn't good to use names from before Avraham - which would nix Naama. Of course other people may hold differently, but there's obviously some reason there.

shevi82

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 3:26 am
Alot of the names out here are not good to use.
Shlomit I heard many times should not be used. same goes for Naama.
And why would someone there kid Ketura???? Defiantly not a tzadekess.

Izzy

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 8:22 am
shalhevet wrote:

I have heard from Rav Mutzafi that it isn't good to use names from before Avraham - which would nix Naama. Of course other people may hold differently, but there's obviously some reason there.

That's so interesting. Wouldn't that rule out Chava - which is such a widely used name?

dmum

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 10:29 am
Rachav ended up marrying Yehoshua, so she did do teshuva and obviously became on a high enough madrega to marry the leader of the generation, the one who received semicha from Moshe Rabbenu...
Her name actually symbolises chessed but also it's opposite, eg being r'chav lev is great and generous, but when you open yourself too wide.... similar to the idea of kadesha and kedosha

hadasa

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 10:48 am
I don't think Ketura is such a bad choice. IIRC, Rashi says she was called Ketura because she did Teshuva and her deeds were as pleasant as Ketores.

MOLLY32

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 12:30 pm
Hi
how about shoshana there is a posuk" kshoshana bein hachochim"
a rose between thorns.
u can call shani, rose
Ihave a daughter devorah and from day one shes called debby...since devorah was from my husbands
side and I couldnt bring myself to call her devorah so we both agreed on debby!

no regrets

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 1:40 am
Eden? Amaliya? Brocha? Tova? Shoshana? Levana? Leila? Sterna? Talia? (Also, please be careful that her initials do not spell anything. It is an easy thing to overlook.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 1:43 am
Fromma?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 2:36 am
No yiddish no modern

amother

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 3:48 am
OP here. When I say biblical names, I dont mean words that happen to be in tanach. I mean names that are used in tanach.

le cure

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:33 pm
Hey OP, I’m sure you may have figured ur answer out by now. I was just googling something and this convo came up I was reading through a bit of it.
It’s ironic and sad to me how ur soooooooo focused on a perfect righteous name for a potential daughter when YOUR MIDDOS SUCK. You maybe want to focus on that a bit ATLEAST toward the people who are responding to you. So appalling and nauseating to read your responses to some people here. Don’t take advantage of people not actually knowing who u are on this site to go ahead and be just downright nasty. It’s still hurtful I’m sure, to those you spoke to here. Really sad. Huge chillul Hashem. U care so muc h about finding a name to fit in the yeshive community? Try actually be a yaarei shamayim first in how you treat others.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:34 pm
le cure wrote:
Hey OP, I’m sure you may have figured ur answer out by now. I was just googling something and this convo came up I was reading through a bit of it.
It’s ironic and sad to me how ur soooooooo focused on a perfect righteous name for a potential daughter when YOUR MIDDOS SUCK. You maybe want to focus on that a bit ATLEAST toward the people who are responding to you. So appalling and nauseating to read your responses to some people here. Don’t take advantage of people not actually knowing who u are on this site to go ahead and be just downright nasty. It’s still hurtful I’m sure, to those you spoke to here. Really sad. Huge chillul Hashem. U care so muc h about finding a name to fit in the yeshive community? Try actually be a yaarei shamayim first in how you treat others.

You are responding to a thread that is seven year old. It's very possible the OP is no longer active on this forum

le cure

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:36 pm
I am well aware. Doesn’t change a thing for me.

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 10:23 pm
mltjm wrote:
Wow. Chill. I said in the beginning that it's obviously personal. I was just trying to (gently-ish) point out another perspective. What if between now and the baby is born some amazing Rebbitzen you've always admired passes away, but her name is Malka Shaina? Are you going to reject it bc its not a tanach name, bc one is a hebrew word, and one is a yiddish name? It seems crazy to limit yourself so much.

As for being one in a million, I still stand by what I said. And I graduated from a class where more than half the girls had the same name.

Funny, when I read the OP's criteria I felt like it was me writing!!! I have the same criteria. Not currently pregnant but I am sooooo picky about names. I never understood how someone can name their kid a name they don't love. It's funny because for me it is the opposite situation from OP -- I have tons of girls names I love but very few boys. Can I ask about your favorite boys names????

grace413

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 5:08 am
le cure I reported your post.

Pulling up a 7 year old post to insult somebody?

etky

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 8:58 am
Just for the benefit of anyone who is reading the thread in search of a biblical girl's name- here are a few less common ones that I don't think were mentioned yet in the thread (though I didn't read it that thoroughly):
Chamutal - the wife of the (good) King Yoshiyahu
Tzruyah - sister of David and mother of Yoav (and Avishay and Asael)
Yehoshava - daughter of king Yoram and wife of the Cohen Yehoyada, she hid and saved baby Yoash (later a good king) from Atalya
Reuma - pilegesh of Nachor
I don't think that Hadassa was mentioned yet but I could be wrong...
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names