Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Craft ideas for girls 8-10 and 10-12?

saras mum

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 12:42 am
I'm looking to start a craft chug for girls 8-10 and a separate group from 10-12 any ideas?

Also does anyone have any past volumes of binah bunch or hamodia or have any clue how to get the craft
iideas?

Thanx!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 1:09 am
http://www.instructables.com/I.....erbs/

TzipG

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 2:30 am
www.creativejewishmom.com has tons of amazing ideas

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 8:31 am
I went to a crafts camp when I was that age and loved it. here are some things we did, plus some things I've added.

easy dipped candles - take the chubby shabbos candles with the removable wicks, and remove the wicks. place in old coffee can (or other large metal canister) and put on a plata for about an hour. meanwhile, "sharpen" crayons, saving all the shavings. once it is liquidy, dip a 6-inch piece of cotton yarn into the wax, then into a container of water. once the candle has reached desired thickness, dip into wax and then roll in crayon shavings. dip one more layer of wax and water to hold the colored shavings in. use a double strand of yarn to be used as a havdala candle.

buy Sculpee clay and make mezuzahs, beads, or anything else really! some people make bencher boxes using square shoeboxes, and decorating the top to look like a shabbos table with a lace tablecloth and Sculpee challah, candles, etc. (this kind of clay comes colored, and is baked in a regular oven.)

homemade gift cards or stationary using various techniques. my favorite is paper marbling, where you fill a shallow tub with water and add a squirt or two of dish soap. then pour or squirt paints (any kind works) onto the surface of the water and swirl into the preferred design with a toothpick. Lay a thick paper on the water, then quickly remove and let dry. You can use the same swirled paint for a bunch of papers before you need to change it.

papercutting- draw a design (or copy one from a book or online)- some fun ones have the kids name. attach the drawing or photocopy to a nice textured or colored paper (though plain cardstock works as well) using semi-permanent gummy spray. use a fine exacto knife to cut out the 'negative space'. I recommend doing this over a cutting board or at least cardboard, so you don't scratch up the table. when it's all cut out, carefully peel off the original paper. to make the design really pop, back the cut out on an opposing color paper, and use foam tape strategically placed in corners and other saggy areas to give it some lift.

micrography- take a simple design, like a man davening with tefillin, a flower, or the outline of your initials, and draw in black on a paper. place another paper over this, and tape into place. using a fine-tipped pen, write a pasuk, perek of tehillim, or shema in tiny letters, tracing the design of the picture. remove the back paper when finished.

make those pillows that only require knotting the fabric strips. don't know what they're called.

tie dye

that's all I can think of for now. if I think of more, I'll post!

techiemom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:38 am
These sites seem to have lots of ideas for Jewish crafts.... (if that's what you're after).

Artistshelpingchildren.org and
Chadiscrafts.com

The older girls could actually do more fine arts eg. watercolors in someone's beautiful garden, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers